We need reinforcements

ofan239

1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I feel like Elias is risk adverse after being in Houston and being involved with all those failed 1st round pitching prospects.   I hope he remembers the goal is going to the playoffs and winning the world series and not having the #1 farm system.

I'm sure he knows.  It isn't as if he mentions the farm system ranking in every interview.

I'm sure he's aware of what the real end goal is.  

Spoiler

maximize ownership profits

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

We needed those two things in the offseason

The Orioles needed those things not only in the off-season but in April and May and June. Through some luck and strong performances from unexpected places, they have compiled a record that's beyond what their talent would suggest.

There's been no sudden news since last season about the talent gaps on this team. I think the only big disappointments have been G-Rod's inability to pitch in MLB and the evaporation of bullpen depth. I wouldn't be surprised to see a trade for bullpen help. But the G-Rod letdown deepens a problem that already existed and that Elias largely has created by his decisions about drafting and not trading promising prospects even if thy're #15 on the SS depth chart..

Has anyone else noticed that Elias is a cautious guy who doesn't change his mind very often or quickly? If he wasn't sufficiently motivated to trade for pitching or a slugger all this time, I don't see him changing his mind now, unless an opportunity hits him over the head. Really hard.

We need to take our lumps this season and go after the FA market next season. Don't trade away our young talent because they won't have to pay them later.  It's time to open the wallet.  I doubt that will happen, but I can dream.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, mrbig1 said:

We need to take our lumps this season and go after the FA market next season. Don't trade away our young talent because they won't have to pay them later.  It's time to open the wallet.  I doubt that will happen, but I can dream.

I'm not in favor of spending a year of Adley's and Gunnar's service time taking lumps.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

We have one of the best records in baseball NOW! Time to go for it! Trade for some pitching and a bat. Rent Ohtani for three months.

The Angels are two games out of a wild card spot. Ohtani isn't going anywhere unless that changes.

3 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Elias has been exactly the same as any other Oriole GM in the last 25 years thus far in his tenure in the specific arena of trades .. small and non risk taking and unimaginative and always mostly dictated by the economics of Angelos et al. 

I have patiently waited, supporting and understanding the rebuild process and have been beyond happy with this season to date.. but if he does not go bolder this month, no matter the rationale.. I will not be supportive of that decision 

MacPhail made some great trades.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jrobb21613 said:

Can we add the pieces at the deadline that we need without hurting the club long term? 

Both long term and short term we are going to need better pitching. We have ONE SINGULARLY pitcher in the ENTIRE ORGANIZATION who has TOR talent...ONE. We are going to have to acquire that from somewhere at some point.

Of all of our Minor Leaguers, if we do not trade Cowser, Kjerstad, Holliday, and maybe Mayo I think we will be good at every position long term except starting pitching (which IMO we are going to have to go outside of the org to acquire).

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

Both long term and short term we are going to need better pitching. We have ONE SINGULARLY pitcher in the ENTIRE ORGANIZATION who has TOR talent...ONE. We are going to have to acquire that from somewhere at some point.

Of all of our Minor Leaguers, if we do not trade Cowser, Kjerstad, Holliday, and maybe Mayo I think we will be good at every position long term except starting pitching (which IMO we are going to have to go outside of the org to acquire).

… and you won’t acquire TOR level talent via trade without trading at least one of the names you mentioned. So what are you going to do?

9 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

… and you won’t acquire TOR level talent via trade without trading at least one of the names you mentioned. So what are you going to do?

If we have to move one then I would probably be winning to part with Mayo. But that would have to mean we are getting back a seriously impactful starter with more years on the contract/control than the remainder of this season.

What if we can swing a contender to contender trade with CLE or MIA? Where we part with Hays or Santander and they give us Bieber or Luzardo?

14 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

If we have to move one then I would probably be winning to part with Mayo. But that would have to mean we are getting back a seriously impactful starter with more years on the contract/control than the remainder of this season.

What if we can swing a contender to contender trade with CLE or MIA? Where we part with Hays or Santander and they give us Bieber or Luzardo?

The time to make that trade was before the Marlins dealt Lopez to the Twins. 

Just now, banks703 said:

The time to make that trade was before the Marlins dealt Lopez to the Twins. 

I disagree. They still need hitting and this season they are actually in the Wild Card hunt. Plus have you checked out what Eury Perez is doing? He's everything that we wished Grayson would be. Also they have Rodgers, Cueto, and Cabrera coming back to rejoin the rotation soon. They literally have the same problem we have in reverse. They have an overabundance of starting pitching and a struggling substandard offense. We have an overabundance of positional players and substandard pitching.

2 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I disagree. They still need hitting and this season they are actually in the Wild Card hunt. Plus have you checked out what Eury Perez is doing? He's everything that we wished Grayson would be. Also they have Rodgers, Cueto, and Cabrera coming back to rejoin the rotation soon. They literally have the same problem we have in reverse. They have an overabundance of starting pitching and a struggling substandard offense. We have an overabundance of positional players and substandard pitching.

Eury Perez?

I saw what he did today.

Did you?

0.1 IP, 6 ER, 7 H