What contributions do you realistically see John Means making to the 2023 Orioles team?

Jim'sKid26

So you can get an extension if needed. Hopefully he dosen't need over 30 days or he would be back with not many games keft.

It’ll be Means’ first game action since he underwent Tommy John surgery last April. The 16-month recovery timetable is towards the longer end of the typical TJS rehab, in part due to a back strain Means suffered this past May. The rehab outings represent his final steps as he builds back to MLB readiness. Pitchers are typically allotted 30 days on a stint, though players working back from Tommy John procedures can get a longer window with league approval.

Ryu for the Jays made 4 rehab starts. Similar situation with Means, their timelines, and TJ. Ryu made one 3IP start in FCL, one 4IP start in AA, and then two AAA starts totaling 11 IP in AAA. 

It’ll be interesting to see if Means follows the same process. Has Means already made his FCL equivalent start with our own guys?  Was Bowie the affiliate picked because they will be the closest to home on Thursday for their game at Richmond?  All of our full season affiliates are on the road. Norfolk in Jacksonville, Bowie in Richmond, Aberdeen in Brooklyn, and Delmarva in NC. 

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Ryu for the Jays made 4 rehab starts. Similar situation with Means, their timelines, and TJ. Ryu made one 3IP start in FCL, one 4IP start in AA, and then two AAA starts totaling 11 IP in AAA. 

It’ll be interesting to see if Means follows the same process. Has Means already made his FCL equivalent start with our own guys?  Was Bowie the affiliate picked because they will be the closest to home on Thursday for their game at Richmond?  All of our full season affiliates are on the road. Norfolk in Jacksonville, Bowie in Richmond, Aberdeen in Brooklyn, and Delmarva in NC. 

I saw Means went 2 innings over the weekend in the FCL.  Grabbing tickets for the game in Richmond tomorrow evening is tempting but I don't think I can swing it. 

I think folks are selling short the possibility of Means being in the rotation in September through playoffs. If he is healthy enough to be effective, he doesn’t need to be fully stretched out. We’ll have an extra arm in September and in the playoffs you don’t give SP much leash at all with third time through the order anyway. It’s fine if he’s only giving us 4 IP a start as long as they are high quality. 

Now that I think about it, I wouldn’t be surprised for the the plan to be to just put Means into a 6 man rotation for September to give all of the SP more rest heading into the playoffs. Probably skip a Grayson (or maybe even Bradish) start in there with off days for workload management.

• Upvote 1