Second half rotation

Sports Guy

9 hours ago, now said:

Totally agree on the first point. As for Irvin, he looks better and is getting better results (thx Mullins!), but I can't help but see the shadow of Zac Lowther and Alex Wells. Wonder how @Tony-OH would compare their stuff. 

Here's their stuff over the the last two years in the big leagues:

Cole Irvin

image.thumb.png.fa6d5ab304ddfe663d19703a6caadecd.png

Zach Lowther

image.thumb.png.8b6cfe1c68d0e60e0d61e927be012d0e.png

Alex Wells

image.thumb.png.34cba7f8ff3ec4f9a9a2eac2f79acc52.png

Irvin has been more successful than Lowther because his command was way better, especially the changeup, which is a really important pitch for pitchabaility lefties. Lowther just made too many mistakes in the middle of the plate with his fastball despite showing plus movement on his curveball and slider before his injury. Whatever happened to Lowther after the 2021 season really destroyed his career.

Wells just didn't have enough fastball overall to make his other stuff work well enough. His weird little slider, which was almost like a left-handed cutter was actually successful, but it wasn't enough with his lack of other major league pitches. Saying that, I guess he just gave up after being released by the Orioles because I felt like he could have found some success at some point as a long guy.

While Irvin's stuff overall is not really that impressive, he's been able to have some success when his command is on but he has very little room for error which is why he's more of a 5th starter type. 

image.png

image.png

• Thanks 1

Wells innings are a concern so why not have G-Rod piggy back wells when he comes up to help keep Wells innings down?

I don’t see Elias trading much in the form of prospects for TOR starter that’s a half year rental but I could see him doing it for a guy with 2 plus years of control, just not sure who that guy would or could be.

I think trading for a rental SP and bringing GRod up makes the most sense. I could see Irvin being included in a trade for a SP. 

What kind of production could we expect from Gibson out of the pen? Decent middle innings guy who can give us some length? 

• Upvote 1

I won’t be surprised if they decide not to acquire a starter for now…in other words, they may acquire a starter but guys like Woo, Miller and Meyer may be what they get.

In other words, guys who are either not pitching or on an innings restriction and may not be much more than relievers for 2023.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

Wells innings are a concern so why not have G-Rod piggy back wells when he comes up to help keep Wells innings down?

I don’t see Elias trading much in the form of prospects for TOR starter that’s a half year rental but I could see him doing it for a guy with 2 plus years of control, just not sure who that guy would or could be.

I wonder if he’d be more willing in a scenario where multiple players were coming back?  We have the luxury of both quality and quantity of prospects, so there can be good potential combinations to offer to a team in return for multiple guys.

I’d be on board with targeting E Rod (after seeing a couple more starts) AND Foley from Detroit for instance.

Not a TOR case but Goldschmidt AND someone like Hicks from the Cards.

35 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I won’t be surprised if they decide not to acquire a starter for now…in other words, they may acquire a starter but guys like Woo, Miller and Meyer may be what they get.

In other words, guys who are either not pitching or on an innings restriction and may not be much more than relievers for 2023.

I think that's where we're headed too. I think we wind up with 2 AA starters (or someone like Woo or Meyer) and 2 MLB relievers at the deadline. 

32 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

He’ll straighten out to mediocre?

His season on the whole has been mediocre. His history suggests he finishes with around 160-170 IP with an ERA about what it is now. Not sure what your definition of mediocre is but that’s what I expect. 

15 minutes ago, dystopia said:

His season on the whole has been mediocre. His history suggests he finishes with around 160-170 IP with an ERA about what it is now. Not sure what your definition of mediocre is but that’s what I expect. 

I expect better things for this team than mediocre journeyman innings eaters.

Keep in mind. Who is starting now does not mean anything come September and October. Grayson will be a part of this staff at some point this year. 

In 14 the Orioles used Gausman as a middle reliever in the postseason. 

Hyde indicated that O"Hearn will continue to play vs righties.   That means Mountcastle platoons at 1B vs lefties.      The O's are likely to face two lefty Marlins starters in their 3 games series after the break-- Luzardo and Garrett.   So there is one reason to activate Mountcastle.

The O's do not need a 5th starter until the 5th game after break.    They probably go with a 12 man pitching staff until the 5th games.  4 starters and 8 relievers.   With Irvin moving to the pen.  

When GRod is called up as the 5th starter then the O's have to make a move by subtracting a position players.

Edited by wildcard