Specific Trade Ideas

Greg Pappas

17 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I think it’s more likely you could get one quality guy for Urias and use Stowers as a second piece. I remember what little the Orioles got in return when all they had was good bullpen arms to trade.

Urias is an interesting player but also isn’t a prospect or someone most teams will consider a building block for the future. And the Cardinals already have their even more versatile version in Brendan Donovan. I just don’t see it, here.

23 hours ago, RZNJ said:

The Tigers need a lot and lose ERod after this year when he undoubtedly opts out.  You could expand it into a Foley or Alex Lange deal.   

Joey Ortiz plus to Detroit

If we can get the kick in of his opt-in, I'd do it.

1 hour ago, HakunaSakata said:

Would you trade Urias / Stowers to the Cardinals for Hicks and Montgomery? Both would be FAs after this season. 

Yes.  Two guys without much of a home here.

I was a fan of trading Mateo in the offseason and sliding Henderson to SS and not signing Frazier.  But a little stuck now and Mateo won't get enough ABs to provide any return.

Understanding Elias's approach, I think we have to get comfortable with him trading only pieces that aren't untouchable, and won't mortgage the future.  Could be argued, but I think that would mean:

- Santander/Urias/Frazier/Stowers from the 40 man

- Wagner/Haskin/Johnson/Fabian/Preito (and below) from the minors. - maybe Norby/Ortiz/Beaver, but I think less likely

What kind of return can you get with just these part.

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I don't think it works that way, and I don't think I would do Ortiz for a rental unless it is someone better than Eduardo. 

The prospect cost should be about what the Comp pick would be. Ortiz is too much. Irvin, who has has no spot going forward, and Stowers for a COF with pop.

29 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

The prospect cost should be about what the Comp pick would be. Ortiz is too much. Irvin, who has has no spot going forward, and Stowers for a COF with pop.

Wow a 6th starter/swingman and a marginal prospect who hasn't been able to hit in the majors.  The O's should get an All Star for that combination.

On 7/10/2023 at 3:02 PM, MarCakes21 said:

Understanding Elias's approach, I think we have to get comfortable with him trading only pieces that aren't untouchable, and won't mortgage the future.  Could be argued, but I think that would mean:

- Santander/Urias/Frazier/Stowers from the 40 man

- Wagner/Haskin/Johnson/Fabian/Preito (and below) from the minors. - maybe Norby/Ortiz/Beaver, but I think less likely

What kind of return can you get with just these part.

Norby is most certainly not going to have a place on the Baltimore Orioles especially if they keep Ortiz. It would be a horrific use of org resources to keep a top 100 prospect as a 26th man type of guy. In that scenario, he will rarely play and be given very limited opportunities. 

Guys at MLB Trade rumors were speculating in today's podcast that Max Scherzer could be available and that Cohen would be willing to eat most or even all of his salary for the right package of prospects. Cohen is apparently working on ways to rebuild some depth in his farm system.

Scherzer (Mets retain all his salary) for Norby or Ortiz, Stowers & DL Hall?

20 minutes ago, bluedog said:

Guys at MLB Trade rumors were speculating in today's podcast that Max Scherzer could be available and that Cohen would be willing to eat most or even all of his salary for the right package of prospects. Cohen is apparently working on ways to rebuild some depth in his farm system.

Scherzer (Mets retain all his salary) for Norby or Ortiz, Stowers & DL Hall?

Maybe with Lindor and Baty they might have more interest in Norby? 

I'd like an explanation for Scherzer's 4.30 ERA in the first half, otherwise I'd be inclined to do the Norby, Stowers, Hall package.

• Upvote 1

On 7/10/2023 at 3:43 PM, AnythingO's said:

I wonder if the Cardinals would have an interest in Irvin