What roles exist for Mateo and Frazier going forward?

Sports Guy

5 minutes ago, johnrambo said:

What if the more "talented" players are worse players right now? Santandar doesn't have extreme talent. He's just an experienced veteran who is in his prime. Kjerstad has way more "talent" than Tony, but gun to my head Santandar is a better player right now. 

Yeah I guess I'm talking more about guys on the 40 man.

57 minutes ago, johnrambo said:

When we're in the ALCS and down by a run and a man on 3rd base less than 2 outs do you want Frazier at the plate or not? You bet your ass you want him at the plate. 

Mr Splash is right here. This is exactly why you keep him on the team.

However, how much does he hurt you and is he part of the reason you don’t get to that at bat to begin with?

People like Mr Splash tend to only remember the clutch hits. They tend to overlook the awful defense that costs us runs or the several 0-4s or the idea that his whole game is barely worth more than a replacement level player.

You can’t just look at one thing, you have to look at everything.

• Upvote 1

I think our optimal alignment is Westburg 2B, Gunnar SS, Urias 3B. That has Westburg and Urias at their best positions, gets rid of Frazier's terrible defense, and is about neutral offensively. I don't know why we have seen this alignment so few times. It worked great in the MIN series and then after the break we go with Frazier both games? Makes no sense to me. 

I could go either way between keeping Frazier for a lefty bat versus Mateo for pinch runner and defense. But, I do not want to see Frazier starting any more. Seems like every other game he is messing up a double play or booting a makeable play.

The Dodgers announcers last night were commenting how sloppy our defense was. It was really embarrassing. 

• Upvote 1

I think the second Westburg was brought up it marked how they are handling Mateo. He isn’t playing much. I still wonder if they are trying to deal him “aggressively” or not. 

I do think Frazier has played more than I thought he would. I would definitely keep him. Mateo I can see moving. 

We basically have 43 days until the rosters expand. Will have to see if they keep 

-using 7 man pen 

-deal Mateo?

-send Cowser down 

It’s going to be hard considering the competition and lack of off days keeping a 7 man pen. 

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Took you long enough. 😁😂

Hey… 😀I said it earlier I think … somewhere. I’m still fine with him but it does feel like he plays everyday. 

It does make me wonder how important stacking the lineup is to them. They love RHH-LHH-RHH-LHH etc. 

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

Hey… 😀I said it earlier I think … somewhere. I’m still fine with him but it does feel like he plays everyday. 

It does make me wonder how important stacking the lineup is to them. They love RHH-LHH-RHH-LHH etc. 

Forget what they like..focus on what they hate..not using a guy they spent a lot of money for. It is and was always going to be the driving force to putting him out there.

Mateo and Frazier are both guys that have a lot of value coming off the bench. Henderson, Westburg, and Urias should get most of the starts, but I wouldn’t want to just cut Mateo or Frazier. If Ortiz isn’t traded, maybe you could get rid of one and move Ortiz up, but ideally we use Ortiz as trade bait for pitching. 

29 minutes ago, RarityFlaherty said:

Mateo and Frazier are both guys that have a lot of value coming off the bench. Henderson, Westburg, and Urias should get most of the starts, but I wouldn’t want to just cut Mateo or Frazier. If Ortiz isn’t traded, maybe you could get rid of one and move Ortiz up, but ideally we use Ortiz as trade bait for pitching. 

Assuming we eventually go back to 13 pitchers you have to get rid of one of Cowser, Mateo, Frazier, and Mountcastle. If you are keeping Mateo and Frazier, it comes down to Cowser and Mountcastle. 

56 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Mr Splash is right here. This is exactly why you keep him on the team.

However, how much does he hurt you and is he part of the reason you don’t get to that at bat to begin with?

People like Mr Splash tend to only remember the clutch hits. They tend to overlook the awful defense that costs us runs or the several 0-4s or the idea that his whole game is barely worth more than a replacement level player.

You can’t just look at one thing, you have to look at everything.

image.jpeg.f50e2b6a243603dbf15a440208eff62b.jpeg

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Assuming we eventually go back to 13 pitchers you have to get rid of one of Cowser, Mateo, Frazier, and Mountcastle. If you are keeping Mateo and Frazier, it comes down to Cowser and Mountcastle. 

Yep. This is the other aspect to the question I’m asking.

How long do we stay with 12 pitchers and when this change occurs, what position player goes?

2 hours ago, johnrambo said:

When we're in the ALCS and down by a run and a man on 3rd base less than 2 outs do you want Frazier at the plate or not? You bet your ass you want him at the plate. 

As an O's fan, what is an ALCS?  Is that a knee ligament?  I have a vague memory of one from years ago, maybe Yankee fans would be more familiar.

27 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

If no one is traded, I’d definitely send Mountcastle down and give Cowser some time to see if he can acclimate. If not, we can always send Cowser down and bring Mountcastle back up. 

44 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

As an O's fan, what is an ALCS?  Is that a knee ligament?  I have a vague memory of one from years ago, maybe Yankee fans would be more familiar.

I tend to mentally block out 2014.  Before that you have to go back to 97.