Scoreboard watching

Frobby

On 9/16/2023 at 11:13 PM, oriolediehard said:

It is going to be a challenge, because the Rays are playing the Angels at Tampa, the Angels are pitiful, it is to have to play Houston in Houston while the Rays have a gift series with the Angels.

How is it a gift?  They play the same number of games with the Angels as we did.  Theirs just happen to come later than ours.  

• Upvote 1

A report on Shane Bieber's rehab.    We could see him sometime this weekend as the Tanner Bibee backfill for the Guardians.

It’s not clear if/when Bieber will make a start for the Guardians, but all the signs point to later this week or early next week. Bieber is trying to return from the IL and here is the latest news.

Bieber, who began his rehab assignment on Tuesday with Double-A Akron, gave up two runs (one earned) in 3 2/3 innings. He did not allow a hit, walked one batter, hit two and struck out four.

The right-hander made his second rehab start for Triple-A Columbus on Sunday, striking out seven over 3 2/3 scoreless innings. Bieber did not allow a hit, but walked three. Guardians manager Terry Francona said that Bieber traveled with the team to Kansas City, and will throw a side session Tuesday. Francona said he hopes to “slot him in [the rotation] hopefully a couple days later” if the throwing session goes well.

In his rehab stars, he was sitting around 91 mph (Justin Lada of The News-Herald) that’s lower than any time so far in the majors.

Bieber struck out seven and walked three in 3 2/3 no-hit innings on Sept. 17. He averaged 90-92 with his fastball and got Toledo hitters to swing and miss 11 times on 64 pitches.

Additionally, he has only lasted 3.2 IP in both rehab starts

9 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Glad we won the first two because we clearly cannot count on LAA beating the Rays. We can’t really count on anyone beating the Rays in fact. Hopefully the good version of the Blue Jays shows up in Tampa on Friday. What a Jekyll and Hyde act they’ve been. 

They're head and shoulders better than every team they play in the AL other than the O's, so that's to be expected. But someone will beat them, because that's just how baseball works. I think if they lose more than 2 games in the final 10, they're cooked. I'm sure they're as focused as they've ever been right now.

3 hours ago, Fiver6565 said:

Glad we won the first two because we clearly cannot count on LAA beating the Rays. We can’t really count on anyone beating the Rays in fact. Hopefully the good version of the Blue Jays shows up in Tampa on Friday. What a Jekyll and Hyde act they’ve been. 

TB won't get any September Effect from Toronto like they are getting from the Angels.  The Jays desperately need those wins as much (or more) as the Rays do.  They probably need 6 more wins to feel comfortable making the tournament with the Rangers playing the Mariners 7 times yet.

8 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Over the last few days, Carlos Correa has admitted plantar fasciitis has been nagging him all year, had some imaging done, and now gone on the IL.

I am guessing he'll rub some dirt on it and play the tournament, same as perhaps Felix Bautista.

I've had it and beat it on my own.

I also know someone that had to get surgery because of it.

1 minute ago, Malike said:

6-0 Angels in the 2nd.

Yep, I am listening to the Rays’ broadcast on the MLB app.  They are talking a lot about the O’s.  Fingers crossed that the Rays don’t have another come from behind victory, but they are a really good team playing a really bad team.