Cano out of Set Up Roll?

ScGO's

7 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

To be fair, acquiring a starter and pushing Wells to the bullpen might be the best way of adding another high leverage reliever, no? 

Agreed. I mentioned this this other day. And who knows, maybe we trade for two vet starters and put Kremer in a long relief/spot starter role. Cano was a flash in the pan. He's been really bad for a good while now and we can't put him out there in the set up role. That should be Fuji's job now.

1 hour ago, Flash- bd said:

To be fair, acquiring a starter and pushing Wells to the bullpen might be the best way of adding another high leverage reliever, no? 

I would like Wells in certain leverage situations but he gives up too many homers to be pitching in the late innings in October

• Upvote 1

I hope they are considering removing Cano from the set up role. However Baker and/or Baumann give me absolutely ZERO confidence that they can reasonably be relied upon to move into higher or argue situation and succeed (they are both league average pitchers with no plus pitches IMO). 

Fujinama may be an option to consider but you still need another guy.

IMO - when it comes to crunch time/playoffs, I would be okay with Cano/Fujinama covering the 6th and 7th (I want to parts of relying on Baker or Baumann when the games matter most) and finding someone via trade to handle the 8th.

11 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I hope they are considering removing Cano from the set up role. However Baker and/or Baumann give me absolutely ZERO confidence that they can reasonably be relied upon to move into higher or argue situation and succeed (they are both league average pitchers with no plus pitches IMO). 

Fujinama may be an option to consider but you still need another guy.

IMO - when it comes to crunch time/playoffs, I would be okay with Cano/Fujinama covering the 6th and 7th (I want to parts of relying on Baker or Baumann when the games matter most) and finding someone via trade to handle the 8th.

That's really the key. The problem is the bullpen is a problem overall. Outside of Bautista, there's not one guy you totally feel good about being out there right now. Baker has been good mostly in clean innings that he starts so maybe him? 

3 hours ago, Flash- bd said:

The HR/9 is a little frightening for a high leverage receiver.  I’d like Wells as long man in the bullpen for the playoffs. 

4 hours ago, Flash- bd said:

Not if Wells isn’t right.  And he’s not whether mechanical, fatigue, or injured.  Let’s see how he looks at Bowie.  A 100% Wells could be a big boost to the bullpen.

I was absolutely shocked when Cano came in to pitch the 9th inning Sunday night with a 9-3 lead.  I said to my wife - well I suppose this is where we see Joey Krehbiel for the first time this season.  I then said that if it's not him it will certainly be anyone other than Cano or Felix.  

31 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

That's really the key. The problem is the bullpen is a problem overall. Outside of Bautista, there's not one guy you totally feel good about being out there right now. Baker has been good mostly in clean innings that he starts so maybe him? 

I don’t believe that the odds would be very good of us relying on Baker to get consistent good results down the stretch and into the playoffs facing some of the best offenses in the game. IMO he doesn’t really posses that kind of stuff. When in trouble he relies upon a high fastball that lacks elite velo. This good hitters can barrel it/get good contact.

IMO - Baker, Baumann, Cano, Coulombe, (and really Fujinama until he can prove he can handle pressure and retain consistent control), none of them are really good options.

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

Shouldn’t have used Cano last night with a 9-3 lead. We’ve gone to the Cano well too often.  

Can’t complaint that he isn’t pitching well, so they put him in a lower leverage situation and then turn around and complain that he shouldn’t have been used.

I think it was a great spot to use him and right now, I may consider doing a little more of that from time to time, just to get him back to where he was.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Not if Wells isn’t right.  And he’s not whether mechanical, fatigue, or injured.  Let’s see how he looks at Bowie.  A 100% Wells could be a big boost to the bullpen.

Yeah, this would be my response to those above. He needs to get right obviously but we've seen him as a high-leverage reliever before...his stuff plays up (probably mitigating a bit HR issues), and I'd trust him as a high-leverage reliever if he gets right. Between Canó, Fuji, Wells, Baumann + McDermott and Povich I think we have enough good arms to make the 6th/7th and 8th inning work if we can get Wells right and acquire a good SP. 

That doesn't solve our SP depth totally, as the likelihood is that at least one of our 4 current starters will wear out down the stretch (I guess there is the hope of Means...), but look, considering how we came into the season pitching-depth wise we can't really ask for a better situation than this. 

23 minutes ago, shakester23 said:

I was absolutely shocked when Cano came in to pitch the 9th inning Sunday night with a 9-3 lead.  I said to my wife - well I suppose this is where we see Joey Krehbiel for the first time this season.  I then said that if it's not him it will certainly be anyone other than Cano or Felix.  

Hyde explained why he did this. The Yanks middle order hitters were up (either 2-3-4 or 3-4-5) and Judge was looming. Yes it’s a six run lead but if you put Krehbiel in there for his first action all season, and he walks a couple guys or gives up a couple hits, then you’re bringing in Cano in a messy situation anyway. Better to let him start the inning, which he did and made quick work of that part of the lineup. 

1 minute ago, Fiver6565 said:

Hyde explained why he did this. The Yanks middle order hitters were up (either 2-3-4 or 3-4-5) and Judge was looming. Yes it’s a six run lead but if you put Krehbiel in there for his first action all season, and he walks a couple guys or gives up a couple hits, then you’re bringing in Cano in a messy situation anyway. Better to let him start the inning, which he did and made quick work of that part of the lineup. 

If Hyde doesn't trust Krehbiel with a 6 run lead at home against a poor offensive team as the Yankees are, why the hell is he even on the roster? 

Hyde's bullpen mismanagement will cost this team. 

33 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Then bring him in earlier! Kremer went 4 innings. There was no excuse not to use him yesterday. He could have taken one of the Fuji innings, then he would have been available yesterday. 

7 hours ago, Spakman said:

He’s been bad for over a month this is not reactionary

That's true. I don't think a lot of fans realize how bad he has been for the past couple of months, especially July. His full season stats look OK, but in July, opponents batted .327 against him with a slugging percentage of .592 and an OPS of over .950.