re: The Kevin Brown Story, will there be any repercussions?

Sanfran327

Will there be a day of reckoning for John Angelos? Will he face any consequences from this situation whatsoever? Certainly the media has dragged him as much as they possibly can, but the media can't hand out any sort of real punishment. Saying that John and the organization "draped itself in utter humiliation" is great poetry, but it doesn't land for a guy like John that doesn't give a single what about what ANYone thinks or says about him. Maybe more accurately, he has trained himself - through years of shame and embarrassment - to ignore outsiders since he can't punish them for what they say. But I digress.

I'm not suggesting whether he'll be forced to sell or anything like that. No way that happens. But can/will anything of significance happen to him as a result of this situation? His reputation is mud, so that can't get any worse. Just curious as to whether any more dominoes could fall.

Anyway, merge this thread with the main one if you prefer. I thought a spin-off chat would separate the noise if this topic has any legs.

Just now, NCRaven said:

No.  MLB has no say over the sanctioning of non-player personnel by a team unless there  was some apparent racist, sexist or other unprofessional issues involved.  

The Angelos family certainly checks the unprofessional box.

1 minute ago, NCRaven said:

No.  MLB has no say over the sanctioning of non-player personnel by a team unless there  was some apparent racist, sexist or other unprofessional issues involved.  

Suspending a guy because you don't like what he said is pretty unprofessional, IMO. As CEO of the Orioles and COO of MASN, JA is basically judge, jury, and executioner of all things Orioles. That alone isn't right, but not exactly illegal. 

For the life of me, I can't think of what could happen. I just really hate JA and enjoy thinking about what might happen.

3 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

JA is basically judge, jury, and executioner of all things Orioles. That alone isn't right, but not exactly illegal. 

This is called being the boss.  You might not be right, but you're still the boss.  Sucks to be on the wrong end of that relationship but that's the way it is.  I've fired people before and they didn't like it.  I've been fired and I didn't like it.  That doesn't mean that someone had the right to punish the decision maker unless the act was actionable in some way.  I could not discipline a person solely because they were black or white or Christian or Muslim.  But I certainly could if I felt that they didn't represent my company properly.  As silly as this appear to me and you, that seems to be the case here.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

This is called being the boss.  You might not be right, but you're still the boss.  Sucks to be on the wrong end of that relationship but that's the way it is.  I've fired people before and they didn't like it.  I've been fired and I didn't like it.  That doesn't mean that someone had the right to punish the decision maker unless the act was actionable in some way.  I could not discipline a person solely because they were black or white or Christian or Muslim.  But I certainly could if I felt that they didn't represent my company properly.  As silly as this appear to me and you, that seems to be the case here.

The Buck stops with John Angelos. Absolutely terrible boss, but still the boss.

If it continues to get out of hand, then I could see Manfred having a sit down with him to reign him in becuase he's making the league look bad, but I don't think we're their yet and unlikely to get there. That's about it. A stern talking to.

No consequences, really. As bad as it is, it could get much worse if JA really wanted to be terrible.

• Upvote 1

The only good thing that will come of this is that Orioles fans collectively now know the score. Speaking as someone who was previously on the fence about JA prior to his unhinged MLK rant - I think there were a lot of people still unsure about who exactly JA was going to be. 

Well. Now everybody knows, because ESPN knows. Angelos has cemented his fate as a hated owner. The fan unity on this one has been pretty overwhelming, even if KB isn't your cup of tea. Even if the team wins the WS, the sentiment will be that they did it in spite of JA. 

So, that's what we have to cling to. The cat's out of the bag and it's open season on John Angelos from a fan and media perspective. He has to live with that, and yeah maybe he doesn't care, but his hope at any positive legacy is over. 

Edited by interloper
  • Thanks 1

There certainly won't be any repercussions from the fanbase, the only people with power to actually affect change. 

So no, nothing will happen. They are actively trying to find the leaker, because that is what is most important. Who betrayed the regime, not the ridiculous action itself. 

• Upvote 1

I imagine the journalism community is rather tight-knit, and they're not going to let something like this slide, so they'll probably start digging the way reporters dug around and found out that Dan Snyder was a womanizing piece of work.

The problem is that John Angelos doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who actually does any work or shows up to anything unless there's a photo op involved, so they'll probably have trouble finding things.