Westburg trade value

Es4M11

It will be fascinating to see how this winter plays out.  Yes, I agree that there is too much young talent for the number of positions in the infield. I am one who thinks the outfield is in pretty darn good shape and you never have enough pitching.  There is definite movable pieces that are a bit older or not resigned.  My only concern is that if there is decent movement which one(s) will we regret in hindsight (see ERod, Hader, etc.)  What an incredible reason for concern.  Either way, let's win the World Series so we can start a great conversation.

Man, if we had decent ownership.....  

I wonder if the Orioles will pay for players past their prime years.  Guys that start their service time clock in their early 20's will become free agents in their prime and  will command long term deals well past their prime.  I think players like Holliday, Henderson, and Mayo could be traded just before their free agent year in order to restock the farm system.  

For 2024 I can kind of see a seesaw between Westburg's workload and Jackson Holliday getting more or less than 129 at-bats.

Every day it looks more likely in the coming season the Orioles playoff odds will run steadily high.     At the Dodgers level of the game, on a certain level everything is funneling the talent for an October peak, and then asset managing your way to the risk of failing to qualify for the tournament any given year being small.

The 2024 Orioles might not need Jackson Holliday until the '22 Gunnar timeframe.

Westburg's July 2024 trade value could appreciate significantly with another half season of strong play.   

There's still a lot of baseball before we know if Grayson-Bradish-Kremer-Means enter the offseason looking sturdy to start the first four games next year, but if they do, Staff-wise I'm perhaps more interested in trading for David Bednar than Dylan Cease.     And I'm a Tyler Wells Glass Half Full guy, in the event all his talent wasn't used up getting this year's team to July.

• Upvote 1

I hope they keep him. I think the players to trade are the ones in arbitration right now that have a player right behind them. Santander, Mullins, Hays…one of these guys should be traded plus Mateo should be DFA or traded if anyone wants him. Keep Urias for one more year until Holliday is ready and then move him as well. Money saved from trading a couple arb-eligible pieces should make up for the increase in arb-eligible salaries of whoever is retained and then hopefully an actually good SP can be signed with whatever is left over. 

All of that to say, Westburg is cheap, controlled for a while, proven to be able to handle the majors…exactly the type of player I hope they keep. There’s other moves that can be made to improve the club. 

Edited by oriole
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Osornot said:

IMy only concern is that if there is decent movement which one(s) will we regret in hindsight (see ERod, Hader, etc.)  What an incredible reason for concern.  Either way, let's win the World Series so we can start a great conversation.

Who regrets this trade?  Miller was dominant and we had a real shot at winning the World Series.

• Upvote 2

I think it is starting to become clearer what they will do. I would assume Urias and Mateo will not return next year.   Norby will be traded. The scenario where Henderson, Holliday, Westburg and Ortiz man your 3 IF positions plus occasional DH is really optimal. Mayo plays a little more at AAA, and then see how that plays out with Mounty maybe being the guy that goes when he is ready. 
Outfield will be interesting too, are they willing to part with Santander to give Heston his place.  That’s the most interesting question for me this off-season.

2 hours ago, LA2 said:

I have thoroughly enjoyed Frazier's play for the Orioles--as I did Villar, Iglesias, Alberto, and Galvis before him--but I don't think his being around next year is something that anyone here needs to worry about.

Management does like that left handed bat at second base.  The O's have done very well with their flexibility in matching batters to pitchers with in- game substitutions.  I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that they keep Frazier next year. 

15 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

Management does like that left handed bat at second base.  The O's have done very well with their flexibility in matching batters to pitchers with in- game substitutions.  I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that they keep Frazier next year. 

Good point, but not at over $8 million.

If Holliday maintains his phenomenal rate of ascent through the Orioles system, he may provide that additional LH-bat in the middle infield by the second half of 2024.