Offseason trade target: Luis Robert

Sports Guy

32 minutes ago, wildcard said:

So you think that the O's are going to trade a bunch of cheap players for an expensive one.   Doesn't sound like the O's philosophy to me.

Well, he’s not expensive, especially relative to production. If Robert was a FA, he would make 5-7 times his current contract. 

Elias came from an organization that trading talent for vet guys on contracts and Robert is a cheaper guy who is young and in the prime of his career.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

He's really good but I thought you don't believe in blocking prospects and we have prospects in the pipeline. I doubt Elias does any long term contracts. Lock up our own guys first.

Well, I’m not really blocking prospects, as I would be trading one of the corner guys, which leaves room for the other one and Bradfield still has his spot.

And blocking prospects is an issue with guys like Hicks and Frazier..not players with MVP level ability who are signed cheaply through their prime years.

6 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Interesting idea. @Sports Guy

Three issues with it:

1. Why would Chicago want to trade him? He's good and he's inexpensive and under control for 3 more seasons. 

2. He breaks. To quote you: " had never played in 100 games in his previous 3 big league season."

3. The Orioles need pitching and should use their prospect capital toward that end. Not another outfielder.

I also think you need to see what you have in Bradfield before you block him. His CF defense is rather amazing. Whether the bat plays will dictate where he bats in the lineup, but his D is MLB ready now. You will know a lot more after a full season of MiLB ball.

Not sure why I have to mention this again but no one played 100 games in 2020.

Y'all want to mention 2021-2022 feel free but 56 out of 60 is fine.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I kind of don’t either but either Ortiz or Westburg basically have to be dealt. There is a real question as to which one is the better player long term.

I think making one a part time player for us is short changing their value, so trading them to bring back a high level guy (whether it be Robert or a pitcher) is a better way to go.

If the reports that Ortiz's defense has regressed this year are correct, then I think Westburg has a clear edge, especially considering that his own defense has been better than anticipated. Ortiz screams sell-high to me.

10 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Interesting idea. @Sports Guy

Three issues with it:

1. Why would Chicago want to trade him? He's good and he's inexpensive and under control for 3 more seasons. 

2. He breaks. To quote you: " had never played in 100 games in his previous 3 big league season."

3. The Orioles need pitching and should use their prospect capital toward that end. Not another outfielder.

I also think you need to see what you have in Bradfield before you block him. His CF defense is rather amazing. Whether the bat plays will dictate where he bats in the lineup, but his D is MLB ready now. You will know a lot more after a full season of MiLB ball.

1) Because they are a terrible organization going nowhere and may need to hit the reset button..again. Agree that they may not want to trade him but I would be asking. He was also healthy this year, which he hasn’t been in the past and maybe they want to cash in on that.

2) Agree about the pitching aspect of things…but they have enough capital to do this and trade for pitching..and there is plenty of pitching to get via just paying money.

Robert would probably be a COFer for us on a regular basis and play CF at times, so the Bradfield angle is covered.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, deward said:

If the reports that Ortiz's defense has regressed this year are correct, then I think Westburg has a clear edge, especially considering that his own defense has been better than anticipated. Ortiz screams sell-high to me.

I’m not sure any reports say that he has regressed. You had the one FG article that mentioned something but I don’t think that pointed to regression. And again, that was one opinion.

Also, that was talking about him at SS, not second base.  He would be an elite defensive second baseman.

I would lean Westburg too but I don’t think Ortiz is a bad consolation prize.

Edited by Sports Guy

19 minutes ago, dystopia said:

He’s the same age as RMC and only 2 years younger than Hays. 

Robert’s a great player but the injury risk is real and I feel like what we would have to give up ain’t worth it. 

He is a way better player than either of those guys.  

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

1) Because they are a terrible organization going nowhere and may need to hit the reset button..again. Agree that they may not want to trade him but I would be asking. He was also healthy this year, which he hasn’t been in the past and maybe they want to cash in on that.

2) Agree about the pitching aspect of things…but they have enough capital to do this and trade for pitching..and there is plenty of pitching to get via just paying money.

Robert would probably be a COFer for us on a regular basis and play CF at times, so the Bradfield angle is covered.

Also, there is something wrong with the culture of that team.  I’m not saying Robert is a problem guy or the reason why there’s a culture problem there, but they badly need to shake up their team chemistry.  So, they might trade Robert just to change the mix, so long as they thought they were getting equivalent value in exchange.

10 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It makes no sense to trade Santa and then trade for Robert. I’d rather we just keep Santa, but I’d also rather us sign Gunnar and Adley long term. Keep our prospects. Trade Santa. Extend Gunnar and Adley. 

Nothing being discussed here has any bearing on whether we can, will or should sign those guys to extensions.