Now that the bar has been raised, what’s your definition of a successful season in 2024?

Frobby

Make it to the playoffs again as a wild card or division winner and then win a playoff series.  With a team having to win a minimum of 3 series to be WS champions, it's hard to say a team that is finally playoff caliber is a failure if they don't win the World Series.  How many great World Series champions of the past would have been eliminated in the LCS or DS?

19 hours ago, Frobby said:

With a few exceptions, I think most posters feel that 2023 was a very successful season and are pretty satisfied with the result, perhaps even ecstatic.   

But now the bar is raised.  Division title?  Been there, done that.  So what do you think the O’s would need to do next year for you to feel it was a successful season?

1.  Make the playoffs again. 

2.  Win the division title again. 

3.  Win 100+ games again.

4.  Win at least one playoff game.

5.  Win an ALDS series.

6.  Make it to the World Series

7.  Win the World Series

I’m guessing nobody would complain if we won the World Series without winning the AL East or 100+ games.  But are there other combos of 1-6 that you’d be satisfied with next year?   Or is it World Series title or bust?

The playoffs and a competitive showing in them. Despite our great season we looked outclassed in the playoffs.

Some of what made the Felix injury such a bummer is one of the things I've felt at times has been a secret sauce is "Mariano Rivera".

1996-2001 Mariano's teams were 14-1 in their series entering Game 7 of the '01 series when the Diamondbacks beat Mariano with the bloop.

But as it played out Felix's absence didn't really affect anything on the field when the Bats just didn't hit, same as Mookie, Freddie, Acuna, etc. didn't over a few games.

Jeter, Bernie and Posada the rest of the Core Four there have been lots of players like them in history.

47 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I think I've fully accepted what has long been more of an intellectual exercise when the O's aren't any good: the playoffs really are random. The O's, Dodgers, Braves, Rays... the very best teams are all gone before the League Championship Series.

I get being disappointed. But I've seen Dodgers fans musing about firing Dave Roberts after what's been a dynastic run as manager because he doesn't have the playoffs secret sauce. There is no secret sauce. There is nothing you can do to win more titles besides get to the playoffs most years and eventually they'll pull your number.

Remember that outside of 1970 Earl was 19-19 in the postseason, and overall was 1-3 in the World Series.

Like I said, I understand it on an intellectual level.  On an emotional level, I find it hard to accept.

It's unlikely 2024 goes down like 2023 did during the regular season, so I expect them to simply make it to the playoffs with a more complete roster for when they get there.

Need to have faith that the trip this year (and the result) was eye-opening for the youth movement and adjustments will be made.

On 10/12/2023 at 11:25 AM, Can_of_corn said:

So the Braves and Dodgers didn't have a successful season?

I can't agree with the mindset that only one established good team can have a successful season each year.

No they didn't.  Only one team truly has a successful season and that is the mindset winners should have.  Doesn't mean they didn't have good seasons, but in the end all were unsuccessful.

Progression of a team is often not linear, so it is entirely possible they take a step back next year well still moving forward over a longer timeline.  In any case, I think success next year would involve making the playoffs again and winning at least one series.  

17 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

The playoffs and a competitive showing in them. Despite our great season we looked outclassed in the playoffs.

As much as I disagree with some of your fandom (War Eagle!), this is where I find myself. Sure, it’d be nice to win the division again but what got to me was less of the early exit and more of how we exited early. It just felt like we were completely overmatched. I don’t know it it was fatigue, nerves or just simply running into a buzzsaw. I just want it to look like we belong. Common sense would say, you won 101 games, of course you belonged. But as a fan watching, it certainly didn’t feel like it.

Regression toward the mean?  Just as in 2012, 2014 and 2016 the year after we were a .500 team.  After 2016 we crapped the bed.  Elias is a smart guy, as are his people.  I’m sure they are aware of these trends.  Hopefully they are ALLOWED to make substantive signings/moves that stave off any significant regression.

On 10/13/2023 at 12:16 PM, drdelaware said:

No they didn't.  Only one team truly has a successful season and that is the mindset winners should have.  Doesn't mean they didn't have good seasons, but in the end all were unsuccessful.

I refuse to believe that in a world where "successful" is largely determined by random chance. It's like saying you were successful at the slot machine. It had nothing to do with you, or your preperation, or you skill or your efforts, beyond showing up.

The North American setup where 29 of the 30 teams are failures is stupid.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

The Orioles made me happy 101 times this year and proud to be an Oriole fan 165 times.   It’s a shame 3 games makes some people so unhappy.  I was disappointed but I’m over it.

If you would have told me two years ago that the 2023 Orioles would win 101 games, I would have bet you any amount of money that it would not happen.