Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

I’m not for trading Holliday, Basallo, or Mayo, but we made our spare parts trades when we needed to before and it landed us Irvin and Flaherty. We just have to realize that the Cease talks started last deadline with them asking for Jackson Holliday. Maybe they’ve moved down to Mayo or Basallo as the headliner, but they certainly aren’t at Cowser/Kjerstad, Ortiz, and Povich. 

The in between trade is likely Westburg, Cowser/Kjerstad, and Povich. And that’s one I’m willing to make. 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea it’s so odd. He keeps pushing me for why Mayo isn’t available, I explain it to him and he’s like yea but that doesn’t mean he’s not available.  Lol

It’s just a weird sequence.

He's basically acting like he'd take Mayo as a last resort and he's his biggest fan also. Weird stuff man.

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The in between trade is likely Westburg, Cowser/Kjerstad, and Povich. And that’s one I’m willing to make. 

That's just an awful trade for the Orioles.  No chance ME does that.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

I agree. Giving up both Westburg and one of Cowser/Kjerstad, plus your top pitching prospect. Lol. No. 

I thought that at first because I think Westburg has the same value as those 2. 

But I also feel great about having Ortiz, so if you had to deal both, would it be that much different than one of the Ofers and Ortiz?

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

But I also feel great about having Ortiz, so if you had to deal both, would it be that much different than one of the Ofers and Ortiz?

Not too much different.  And all of it way too much.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sports Guy said:

I guess not, no. But I'm someone who just feels strongly about only including one of these guys in the deal, and I'm including Oritz in that group. I understand some folks wouldn't put him on the level of Westburg. With Ortiz headlining, you would probably have to include more quantity than with Westburg headlining. 

I just think two of any of these guys is a tough ask. Povich included, honestly. That's me being pretty stingy but I'm at the point of saying so be it, take it or leave it. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

Not too much different.  And all of it way too much.

I think it’s different because Westburg’s value should be higher because of his time in the majors. But the 2 players aren’t much different imo, at least in terms of expected overall production.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

I think it’s different because Westburg’s value should be higher because of his time in the majors. But the 2 players aren’t much different imo, at least in terms of expected overall production.

Yeah you give the edge to Westburg because of his ML performance, but as prospects they're very similarly valued.

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

I agree. Giving up both Westburg and one of Cowser/Kjerstad, plus your top pitching prospect. Lol. No. 

Agreed.  Even though Westburg and Cowser/Kjerstad are higher ranked, our system needs Povich even more.  We can absorb the loss of infielders or corner outfielders, but not starting pitching prospects in the upper minors.  I don't want to give up our top pitching prospect in any deal.  The problem is, any team trading a pitcher is going to want pitching prospects in return most likely...

So it seems that the Mariners trading from the SP backlog really just meant salary dumping Robbie Ray. With Haniger and Raley they've got their bats and can just pitch the young guys. 

Seems like it was a lot of smoke all along about trading for guys like Woo. 

Dunno y'all - it's Cease or Stroman or a Lorenzen/Manaea type in free agency. Not sure who else makes sense trade-wise. We've seen pretty much zero young SP go in trades this offseason with the exception of maybe King in the Soto deal? 

Edited by interloper

I think Povich, while painful, is someone I'm willing to trade for Cease. Given how long pitchers can take to develop in the majors, just seems like his window may not line up quite with ours. Not with both Westburg and Cowser though. Kjerstad is untouchable for Cease, IMO. Maybe for Luzardo, but even then I'm not sure.

56 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’m not for trading Holliday, Basallo, or Mayo, but we made our spare parts trades when we needed to before and it landed us Irvin and Flaherty. We just have to realize that the Cease talks started last deadline with them asking for Jackson Holliday. Maybe they’ve moved down to Mayo or Basallo as the headliner, but they certainly aren’t at Cowser/Kjerstad, Ortiz, and Povich. 

I think that would prove to be a very poor trade for the O's. Someone like Ortiz is head and shoulders above Hernaiz or Prieto, and is only a "spare part" in an org this deep. In almost any other org he'd already be a MLB regular.

• Upvote 1

SG, quickly becoming the #1 poster on their board and making tons of new friends.

Tnetennba

Members

Posted 9 minutes ago

20 minutes ago,  Sports Guy said: 

Do your parents ever let you out of the basement so that you can learn stuff?

Nice edit there guy. We may jab back and forth, but what you posted was uncool. I do hope the mods saw it.

You are showing some serious reactionary immaturity here. We are all fans and have our perspectives, but this 'everyone who disagrees with me is wrong' bit has worn thin very fast. 

Man up, dude!  We’ve been dealing with it for years!!!!

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Not me. The White Sux can have one of Westburg, Cowser and Kjerstad (not two) and if they don't like it they can go pound sand. 

• Upvote 1