Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

1 minute ago, Malike said:

Eh, they are trying to sell it that we can't win without Cease. It's much more important that they hit on the prospects they acquire, as their development is complete trash and they've busted on other big-name trades. The reality is, that they need to trade Cease to have any chance of rebuilding, we are going to the playoffs with or without him most likely.

They can pretend the O's are desperate and there is a sense of urgency, but I'm sure there is none at all. I know they'd love to add him but they aren't banking the entire season on him and making panic trade decisions like the he/him/they there on that board think will happen.

It will be funny when they trade Cease to the Yankees for overhyped prospects that become nothing and that joke of a franchise becomes more irrelevant and falls even further behind the Cubs.

At least their ballpark is beautiful. Lol

2 minutes ago, Malike said:

Eh, they are trying to sell it that we can't win without Cease. It's much more important that they hit on the prospects they acquire, as their development is complete trash and they've busted on other big-name trades. The reality is, that they need to trade Cease to have any chance of rebuilding, we are going to the playoffs with or without him most likely.

They can pretend the O's are desperate and there is a sense of urgency, but I'm sure there is none at all. I know they'd love to add him but they aren't banking the entire season on him and making panic trade decisions like the he/him/they there on that board think will happen.

Their idiots are arguing this all or nothing proposition. Their smart fans are arguing we’d probably benefit, perhaps significantly, from acquiring Cease. Not really sure that’s debatable. I want Cease and most of us do too. The price is TBD and I’ll defer to Elias if we decide not to pay it. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Their idiots are arguing this all or nothing proposition. Their smart fans are arguing we’d probably benefit, perhaps significantly, from acquiring Cease. Not really sure that’s debatable. I want Cease and most of us do too. The price is TBD and I’ll defer to Elias if we decide not to pay it. 

Cease isn't the final piece to the puzzle. Nice, sure, if he has a decent season, but we likely have bigger issues in the pen than we do in the rotation barring health.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Trade offers:

1) Cowser and Ortiz

2) Kjerstad and Ortiz

3) Cowser, Ortiz and Povich

4) Kjerstad, Ortiz, Povich

5) Westburg, Beavers, Povich and Norby

Are you make some, all or none of those deals?

1. Yes

2. Probably not (because I REALLY like Kjerstad)

3. Probably

4. See 2. 

5. Yes. 

3 minutes ago, Malike said:

Cease isn't the final piece to the puzzle. Nice, sure, if he has a decent season, but we likely have bigger issues in the pen than we do in the rotation barring health.

Hey man, that’s just like, your opinion, man. The dude abides. Not all of us want to abide with the rotation as is.

We’d have higher odds of winning the World Series with Cease, Valdez, Luzardo, Skubal, etc. Cease feels like the most available of all of them, so I want them to try to get Cease.

Edited by ThisIsBirdland

4 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

They just traded for one (Haniger). And they signed Garver earlier who will probably be their everyday DH. 

I mean, Haniger hasn't played much in years and Garver is a backup catcher, unless they think he's going to Pip Cal Raleigh. I don't know if I'd call that offense.

10 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

They just traded for one (Haniger). And they signed Garver earlier who will probably be their everyday DH. 

Haniger is both injury plagued and seemingly on the downside of his career.  Maybe toast.

Imagine having a 180M+ dollar payroll and then topping that off with being nearly devoid of talent. I get why the people on that forum are so salty. At least when we sucked we weren't spending close to 200M for the privilege. 

1 minute ago, Malike said:

Imagine having a 180M+ dollar payroll and then topping that off with being nearly devoid of talent. I get why the people on that forum are so salty. At least when we sucked we weren't spending close to 200M for the privilege. 

What was it in 2017?  Over 160M if I remember correctly.

3 minutes ago, Malike said:

They’re a garbage organization but we know what that looks like. Go look at our payrolls in 2017-2018. 

10 minutes ago, Malike said:

I mean, Haniger hasn't played much in years and Garver is a backup catcher, unless they think he's going to Pip Cal Raleigh. I don't know if I'd call that offense.

If you look under the hood Garver is actually a pretty good hitter. A DH worthy hitter (not just a good hitting catcher). The only issue with him is health. And like it or not Haniger is their RF. So with DH and RF filled there's no room (or need) for a player like Santander on their roster (i.e., we don't fit anymore trade wise). 

8 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Haniger is both injury plagued and seemingly on the downside of his career.  Maybe toast.

You may not like the moves the Mariners have made (for bats), but they've certainly made them. It's pretty clear they plan on going into their season with Haniger as their primary RF and Garver as their primary DH. With those positions filled there's really no potential or match for them as a trade partner with the Orioles anymore.

Just now, HakunaSakata said:

If you look under the hood Garver is actually a pretty good hitter. A DH worthy hitter (not just a good hitting catcher). The only issue with him is health. And like it or not Haniger is their RF. So with DH and RF filled there's no room (or need) for a player like Santander on their roster (i.e., we don't fit anymore trade wise). 

He is a good hitter, he's not going to be in the TEX bandbox, but he can hit. He can't carry that offense and they need more than just J-Rod. He's never gotten a full season of ABs, who knows what he'll hit like with more than 250-350 ABs at 33 years old?