Mike Elias said O's upward path will "involve the major league payroll" Melewski

RZNJ

I do agree with this point, though:

“the ultimate goal here is wins and success and having a healthy organization. How much you are spending to do that – whether it is free agents or on infrastructure – it’s sort of secondary.”

In other words, if they win, I don’t really care how much they spend.  But win.  

• Upvote 3

55 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The whole working within the system of MLB is total crap. Now Elias is repeating Angelos statements. It’s horsesh!t. 

Just an organization full of liars when it comes to this.

I don't think any of us expecting him to make the same mistake he did last year with the lift off comment.

This is more in line with my expectations for his interviews.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I do agree with this point, though:

“the ultimate goal here is wins and success and having a healthy organization. How much you are spending to do that – whether it is free agents or on infrastructure – it’s sort of secondary.”

In other words, if they win, I don’t really care how much they spend.  But win.  

Win or win the World Series?

As fun as 2023 was I can't help but wonder if the playoffs would have gone better if the O's had done more at the deadline.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think any of us expecting him to make the same mistake he did last year with the lift off comment.

This is more in line with my expectations for his interviews.

The fuss over the liftoff comment is so much ado about nothing.

He meant the team was going to be entering its competitive period.  It in no way referenced money.

Guess what?

The team entered it's competitive period, won 101 games, and the AL East.

I'd say they lifted off just fine.

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Win or win the World Series?

As fun as 2023 was I can't help but wonder if the playoffs would have gone better if the O's had done more at the deadline.

Sure, we all wonder that.  And, there are always going to be questions like that.

To be clear, I want a team that has a good shot to make a deep playoff run every year.  That doesn’t mean they’ll actually make a deep playoff run every year.   But I want a team that’s capable of it.   And yes, we need a World Series title in there somewhere.   But even spending a lot of money doesn’t guarantee that.  

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Pickles said:

The fuss over the liftoff comment is so much ado about nothing.

He meant the team was going to be entering its competitive period.  It in no way referenced money.

Guess what?

The team entered it's competitive period, won 101 games, and the AL East.

I'd say they lifted off just fine.

I'm going to disagree with your interpretation and even if you are correct, it wasn't perceived that way by the fanbase. 

He's not going to make a mistake like that again.