O's should address the problem they have....

wildcard

Not a problem they don't have.

The O's have 4.5 starters.   Bradish and GRod are #1,  Means is a #3 with a career 3.74 ERA.  Kremer a 4/5.   Wells projects to give the a 3.30 ERA for about 15 starts.    That make Wells a #3 starter for half a season.    As we are seeing a starter with a  3.30 ERA is very expensive.  Especially if you want him to pitch 30 starts.   So don't do that.

Go get the other 15 starts.

We look at the projections for ERod, Giolito, or Stroman are 3 or 4 years in this market.   Heck, even Wacha and Lugo are projecting 3 years.   I just don't see Elias doing any of that.

And trading away the O's prospects with six years of control does just not make a lot of sense.  Not with Hays, Santander and Mullins are getting close to Free  Agency. (Yes, the O's need them to make the playoffs in 2024).  Cowser and Kjerstad are going to be everyday outfielders in 2025.   The O's have a year to development them.  I think Urias will be traded this off season and Mateo will make 2.7m.  He certainly will not stay in 2025 when a raise is coming.  So the O's need Westburg, Ortiz and Holliday.

My suggestion is to sign Nick Martinez 2/20m or 25m.    He can reliever in the 1st half and start in the 2nd half.  He projects to give the O's a 3.50 ERA for 100 to 110 IP.  That is the other half of the 5th starter.  

I would pitch Wells for 15 starts and then plan to option him to Norfolk.   There I would limit his innings to keep him  fresh.   And I would bring him bring to the majors for late Sept and the playoffs.   His 3.30 ERA would look real good in the playoffs.

I would sign a late inning reliever ...FA or trade for him.    Urias, Norby and Stowers are trade chips.  Who ever does not go in that trade gets traded for pitching prospects.

Irvin and McDermott are back up starters/relievers.  Starter depth.

I think this is more likely than trading away valuable prospects or spending tons of money and years  for a starter.

Interesting idea.  Another way to arrive there is to utilize internal resources for the unconventional 5th starter by taking minor league concept of piggyback pitchers.  Among Hall, Wells, Irvin, McDermott could pick two to provide 7-8 innings (3-4 each go round).  This could take advantage of guys who can provide multiple innings like Hall/Wells but cannot go deep and/or throw 150 IP for the season. 

I think a thinness of top-level SPs is a problem they have. And having more MLB-ready prospects than there is PT to go around is another problem they have. So I think a prospects for rotation piece trade makes perfect sense in tackling both problems. 

You can trade Urias/Stowers/Norby sure, but they aren't centerpieces for a top-level guy like that. 

...or perhaps the Orioles could just give up quality (via trade) to get quality? I mean, what's the point of having a stocked minor league system of MLB ready players who are, in some cases, blocked if they don't use that depth to improve their team? It's not like we're going to hang AAA Championship Banners from the rafters at OPACY. 

• Like 1

Considering the lack of back end bullpen depth, Wells is better off in the bullpen for 2024. Same goes for Hall. 

The O’s have more prospects that are ready to make the jump than they have spots available. It’s time to use that depth to get a quality option in the rotation. Someone with control. Not a 1 or 2 year rental.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

I think a thinness of top-level SPs is a problem they have. And having more MLB-ready prospects than there is PT to go around is another problem they have. So I think a prospects for rotation piece trade makes perfect sense in tackling both problems. 

You can trade Urias/Stowers/Norby sure, but they aren't centerpieces for a top-level guy like that. 

How many teams have two #1 for the next 5 years like GRod and Bradish?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

...or perhaps the Orioles could just give up quality (via trade) to get quality? I mean, what's the point of having a stocked minor league system of MLB ready players who are, in some cases, blocked if they don't use that depth to improve their team? It's not like we're going to hang AAA Championship Banners from the rafters at OPACY. 

Other than Norby and Stowers who is blocked?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

I love both those guys, but this is premature. GRod had an ERA of, what, 4.70 on the year (much better in the second half). He could easily sophomore slump. There's a good chance that was Bradish's career year. It wouldn't shock me if he was more of a 3.50-3.70 guy going forward.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Remember when the Mets had Harvey, deGrom, Wheeler and Syndergaard?

I also would not appoint either Bradish or Grayson a #1 at this time.

Bradish had a #1 season and Grayson had a strong finish but did end up below average at the end of the day.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

We have 4.5 starters on paper, but it's pretty likely two of them miss considerable time with an injury. Our AAA starter depth is a pretty big question mark, so I would like it if we got another solid starter or even two.

Do you feel good about giving 3 years to Giolito or 5'9" Stroman at 33 or Wacha or Lugo.   There is risk in giving 3 year and 30m+ to pitchers.   Kind of locks the manager in to starting them even if they are in decline.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Do you feel good about giving 3 years to Giolito or 5'9" Stroman at 33 or Wacha or Lugo.   There is risk in giving 3 year and 30m+ to pitchers.   Kind of locks the manager in to starting them even if they are in decline.

Are those the only options to improve the staff?

5 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

I love both those guys, but this is premature. GRod had an ERA of, what, 4.70 on the year (much better in the second half). He could easily sophomore slump. There's a good chance that was Bradish's career year. It wouldn't shock me if he was more of a 3.50-3.70 guy going forward.

That is not what either pitcher projects.   GRod was the #1 pitcher in the minors and found his control in the 2nd half.  No reason to believe he is going anywhere but up.   Bradish showed he is one the best starters in baseball last season.   That is how they project for 2024.

I am all for more quality pitching.   But its cost and has risk that coming with it.   Especially when the O's would give up prospects that would be a big part of their future.

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Remember when the Mets had Harvey, deGrom, Wheeler and Syndergaard?

I also would not appoint either Bradish or Grayson a #1 at this time.

Bradish had a #1 season and Grayson had a strong finish but did end up below average at the end of the day.

I am not going to try to convince you of anything.  You know the quality of those two pitchers just as well as I do.