MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

9 minutes ago, interloper said:

With Lorenzen out, that's it y'all. We are rolling with this starting staff for better or for worse. I think it's pretty foolish that we aren't adding another starter, but I guess Elias is comfy with relying on Means. 

Montgomery is still out there. Irvin and Wells are solid enough for a couple months. 

Just now, dystopia said:

Montgomery is still out there. Irvin and Wells are solid enough for a couple months. 

We are not signing Montgomery. They are solid enough to get us to Means, but what happens when Burnes or Grayson goes down with an injury? Bruce Zimmermann? We need SP depth. Oh well. 

To each their own, I just don't think they looked at this 3 year body of work and said we need to bring that guy in. Outside of that first half in Detroit, he's just not been worth running out there.

Capture.thumb.JPG.a68b502f22b4697a1c56ba51d3373c16.JPG

Come July, if they really need help/depth, they'll still have the prospects to make more legitimate upgrades than someone like Lorenzen.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

So, what do you think the chances are of one more trade from Elias before the season starts, specifically with one of our OF's or IF's?

Very slim unfortunately.  We have some depth we should trade from or, even better, move some of the roster clogging guys to open up spots for a few more of the kids, and strengthen our bullpen in the process.  But we 1) have to be willing give up some depth and 2) have to find a willing trade partner.  I think #1 is kinda holding us up at this point.

1 minute ago, oriolediehard said:

Is it possible when teams have to make cuts to set their roster to 26 before OD, we may claim a pitcher that may help us?

That's probably when you'll see a potential trade. This is how we acquired Coulombe last year; there wasn't room for him in the Twins bullpen and I believe we acquired him for cash considerations. 

1 hour ago, interloper said:

We are not signing Montgomery. They are solid enough to get us to Means, but what happens when Burnes or Grayson goes down with an injury? Bruce Zimmermann? We need SP depth. Oh well. 

Teheran or Suarez maybe. 

Hopefully McDermott is an option later on in the season.

Very few teams outside of the Dodgers have any kind of SP depth to withstand multiple injuries to top starters. And not even the Dodgers qualify at the moment, because guys like Dustin May, Kershaw, and Buehler are all currently on the shelf. If/when 2 of those 3 come back, then the Dodgers are pretty much the only team in baseball that could absorb multiple SP injuries. But the simple fact 3 high-end SPs like that are currently out for them illustrates how difficult it is in general to keep pitchers healthy.

If Burnes or Grayson go down with injury, I think we'd see another midsummer trade for a SP. Especially if Bradish isn't returning by that point. 

And the SP depth could be better, but I think our situation is pretty standard even for very good teams. Most contenders still have to deal with some 5th/6th starter dreck at some point. It looks worse partly because it's compared to the abundance of riches we have on the position player side. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

If Burnes or Grayson go down with injury, I think we'd see another midsummer trade for a SP. Especially if Bradish isn't returning by that point. 

And the SP depth could be better, but I think our situation is pretty standard even for very good teams. Most contenders still have to deal with some 5th/6th starter dreck at some point. It looks worse partly because it's compared to the abundance of riches we have on the position player side. 

If they go down with injury then we aren't going to be contending come midsummer 

6 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

If they go down with injury then we aren't going to be contending come midsummer 

If just one went down, I don't think it'd be a knockout blow for contention. Both? Maybe.

3 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

If just one went down, I don't think it'd be a knockout blow for contention. Both? Maybe.

They could limp to the trade deadline probably. But they can't have  a repeat of last trade dealine. The lack of optionable guys in the bullpen is going to make it tough as well. Hopefully the leash isn't too long but it seems  like they give guys enough rope to hang themesleves sometimes.