Remember the drama around the Bedard/Adam Jones deal in early 2008?

Tony-OH

38 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think I’d rank it 3rd, but it’s close.  

1.  Frank Robinson for Milt Pappas and others.  

2. Scott McGregor, Rick Dempsey, Tippy Martinez, Rudy May and Dave Pagan for Ken Holtzman, Doyle Alexander, Grant Jackson, Elrod Hendricks and Jimmy Freeman.

3.  Adam Jones, Chris Tillman, George Sherrill, Kam Mickolio and Tony Butler for Erik Bedard.

I think the Bedard trade was the most lopsided, but the return in the McGregor et al. trade was really a key to our ‘79 and ‘83 World Series teams.

But that Glenn Davis trade... we nailed that! #4? Right?! Hello?! Is this mic on? 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

There are also rumors that other trade discussions out there were with the Dodgers for Kemp/Kershaw and with the Reds for Votto and either Cueto or Bailey.  

Something tells me Clayton Kershaw wouldn't have been the same Clayton Kershaw if he was with the O's from age 20. 

13 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think I was pretty stoked about Mickolio for some reason.

Fun memories.  @Tony-OHI'm enjoying these trips down memory lane you've been posting lately!

Me too Moose.  Big Kam was an interesting guy, and if I recall threw sidearm.  I may be misremembering that, but I had high hopes for him at the time.

Edited by Greg Pappas
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I think I’d rank it 3rd, but it’s close.  

1.  Frank Robinson for Milt Pappas and others.  

2. Scott McGregor, Rick Dempsey, Tippy Martinez, Rudy May and Dave Pagan for Ken Holtzman, Doyle Alexander, Grant Jackson, Elrod Hendricks and Jimmy Freeman.

3.  Adam Jones, Chris Tillman, George Sherrill, Kam Mickolio and Tony Butler for Erik Bedard.

I think the Bedard trade was the most lopsided, but the return in the McGregor et al. trade was really a key to our ‘79 and ‘83 World Series teams.

I agree with this ranking however Milt Pappas was a very good starter.. FRob had WAR of 32.4 in the 6 years in Baltimore and 0.9 in Cleveland (he had 63.8 in Cincy) 

Milt was outstanding for Cubs after Cincy.. In the next 7 years he had 22.1 WAR including 1971 where he pitched 195 innings 2.71 ERA and 1970 where he threw 265 IP and had a 5.8 WAR season for Cubs 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I was also in my 20s, partying, and watched alot less baseball then and I didn't watch any pundits talking abiut baseball either. Most of my opinions of Bedard were formed from being a casual fan of the team around 2005-2006 and set at that point.

Alright fair enough haha

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

I remember wanting one other rumored deals. I remember one with Cueto and Votto, but don’t remember the other. 

If memory serves it was Jay Bruce, who was a mega prospect at the time.  But that ended up being a red herring someone in the warehouse floated to expose one of the "insiders" posting info on here.

What a time to be alive haha.

1 hour ago, tntoriole said:

I agree with this ranking however Milt Pappas was a very good starter.. FRob had WAR of 32.4 in the 6 years in Baltimore and 0.9 in Cleveland (he had 63.8 in Cincy) 

Milt was outstanding for Cubs after Cincy.. In the next 7 years he had 22.1 WAR including 1971 where he pitched 195 innings 2.71 ERA and 1970 where he threw 265 IP and had a 5.8 WAR season for Cubs 

I agree Pappas was a very good pitcher and that trade wasn’t as lopsided as many think.  However, the O’s had a very good, deep, young pitching staff but desperately needed a middle of the order bat, which Frank was and then some.  The leadership he provided also was transformative for the team, something WAR can never measure.  Therefore, it easily ranks as the best trade in Orioles history even if not the most lopsided.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I agree Pappas was a very good pitcher and that trade wasn’t as lopsided as many think.  However, the O’s had a very good, deep, young pitching staff but desperately needed a middle of the order bat, which Frank was and then some.  The leadership he provided also was transformative for the team, something WAR can never measure.  Therefore, it easily ranks as the best trade in Orioles history even if not the most lopsided.  

Trading Pappas may have opened up a spot for Jim Palmer, too.  Who knows, maybe he toils away a few more years in Rochester and decides to quit, had the Orioles not traded Pappas.  Barber and Pappas were the 1-2 of the Orioles' rotation and between Barber getting hurt and Pappas being traded, the opportunity for Palmer opened up.

• Upvote 1

With how prospect coverage has grown since then, looking back on it now it feels odd that a Top 25-ish overall prospect, American kid, was playing Venezuela in winter.    He'd had two cups of coffee and a monster 2007 in the PCL.     I guess maybe it is a clue he loved that grind.

Fun 21/10 fact, Markakis and Jones are 1-2 in rWAR among guys from the 2003 draft (at least first five rounds, my bad if Mookie Betts was a 39th round pick or something).

2007 Bedard was nuts - led MLB in k-bb, not that I was attuned to that then.     30% K rate, and only 4 others broke 25%.    It was almost as extreme as what Spencer Strider is doing to all the other SP the last 2 seasons.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/major-league?pos=all&stats=pit&lg=all&qual=y&type=1&month=0&ind=0&startdate=&enddate=&season1=2007&season=2007&sortcol=8&sortdir=default&pagenum=1

8 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Trading Pappas may have opened up a spot for Jim Palmer, too.  Who knows, maybe he toils away a few more years in Rochester and decides to quit, had the Orioles not traded Pappas.  Barber and Pappas were the 1-2 of the Orioles' rotation and between Barber getting hurt and Pappas being traded, the opportunity for Palmer opened up.

Just poking around leaderboards, it seems clear Pappas was the #1 on those early 60's Orioles teams.      Across his age 24-26 seasons, he was ~Top 20 MLB-wide in ERA and fWAR.      He maintained that level for '66-'67 Reds.

Maybe something like if we traded Bradish for Machado after another good year or two (and Machado would play at reserve clause salaries as long as Angelos wanted).