Would the addition of Paxton and Stephenson make the Off-season shopping seem OK?

Jim'sKid26

2 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

If the Dodgers have filled up their rotation, does that mean Kershaw is still available? I say target Kershaw if he's healthy. Do your best to sell him on the idea of finishing his career on a young world series contending team. His leadership could go a long way for the pitching staff.

Maybe I'm dreaming but it's nice to dream sometimes.

Kersh as is only going to play for 2 teams..Dodgers or Rangers and that is if he even pitches in 2024.

26 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Kersh as is only going to play for 2 teams..Dodgers or Rangers and that is if he even pitches in 2024.

Did he ever outright say this? I know it’s the commonly held industry consensus though. 

On 1/14/2024 at 5:22 PM, Frobby said:

Injury risks are why teams go into a season with more than 5 starting pitchers.  All teams have pitching injuries.   It’s okay to have some pitchers who carry greater than average injury risk, so long as you have your backup plans in place.  

Also, I don’t understand what lesson we were supposed to learn from Givens, who had made 54+ appearances in every full season of his career.   

The Orioles must like his work ethic from past experience but a knee injury on top of weight issues is a huge red flag.  He was listed as 6' 250 but guys listed at 6' IMO are never that-more like 5'10 or so-even if the 250 is accurate that's a lot of weight to carry on a rehabbing knee. 

Ohtani and Yamamoto are due all their accolades, but not to be lost in Friedman's offseason, now continuing with Paxton, I think the Dodgers are stepping away from the recent MLB norm of a 5-man rotation.

We'll see the world's greatest pitchers often in October, and during the run up, I don't think Yoshinobu Yamamoto will be asked by the organization to carry a pace anymore than what he has carried the last few years in Japan with the more offdays.

Last Dodgers 40-man transaction prompted the Michael Busch trade....the other Clubs seem generally interested in whoever LAD #41 is.

2 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Ohtani and Yamamoto are due all their accolades, but not to be lost in Friedman's offseason, now continuing with Paxton, I think the Dodgers are stepping away from the recent MLB norm of a 5-man rotation.

We'll see the world's greatest pitchers often in October, and during the run up, I don't think Yoshinobu Yamamoto will be asked by the organization to carry a pace anymore than what he has carried the last few years in Japan with the more offdays.

Last Dodgers 40-man transaction prompted the Michael Busch trade....the other Clubs seem generally interested in whoever LAD #41 is.

They always sign more than 5 guys. In 2022 they had Buehler, Urias, Kershaw, Gonsolin, Anderson, and Heaney making most starts, with White/Pepiot working their way in, May injured, Price in the pen and Duffy signed as a backup. The next year they had Urias, Syndergaard, Kershaw, Miller, Lynn, Grove, with May/Buehler injured, Pepiot/Stone/Sheehan working their way in.

The rangers did something similar with deGrom, Scherzer, Heaney, Montgomery, Dunning, Gray, Eovaldi, Perez, and have scarcely tapped into their young pitching yet.

It would be a good idea for us to think about 6-7 guys that can start a major league game imo.

Edited by brooooksy