Fangraphs’ Ben Clemens: “C’mon Orioles, Do Something!”

Frobby

• Frobby changed the title to Fangraphs’ Ben Clemens: “C’mon Orioles, Do Something!”

I get everything he says.  But he really is light on what he thinks they should do other than his plea for "something."  Basically, sign Jordan Montgomery and pay whatever it takes to get Cease.  I like Montgomery and would be willing to sign him.  But Montgomery isn't exactly peak Verlander.  The Sox seem to want more than any team is willing to trade.  Maybe Elias just isn't all that thrilled with what's available externally this year.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I get everything he says.  But he really is light on what he thinks they should do other than his plea for "something."  Basically, sign Jordan Montgomery and pay whatever it takes to get Cease.  I like Montgomery and would be willing to sign him.  But Montgomery isn't exactly peak Verlander.  The Sox seem to want more than any team is willing to trade.  Maybe Elias just isn't all that thrilled with what's available externally this year.  

The thing is, it doesn't matter if Montgomery isn't peak Verlander. It only matters if he's a meaningful upgrade from Cole Irvin at the moment. Or Kremer, or Means. If he is, then he's worth the market rate. Clemen's main point here, and he's 100% correct, is that Elias will most likely NEVER have a better nexus of MLB-ready talent and low payroll than he has right now. If he won't, or can't, take advantage of this opportunity, then something will have been lost that he can't get back. Having a group of guys this talented, all arriving at once so that they're this cheap, is in no way a scenario that is guaranteed to repeat again, even if they go through another rebuild.  If he, or Angelos, isn't willing to push for a title under these circumstances, then when will they ever?

• Upvote 3

Yeah, I agree... The Orioles only needed to do two things: (1) strike quickly on a top RHRP who hopefully can close; and, (2) find the best value on a legit #2/#3 type of starter, probably in a trade. They grabbed Kimbrel quickly and have been patient on a trade market that probably wasn't going to resolve itself until late January or even early February. So, saying "do something!" is pretty ignorant IMO.

The thing that's weird is that playoff probability doesn't often go from ~0 to ~100 like this.

It feels like there should be a moment (or a couple seasons) it's an 86-win forecast and buying 2-3 more marginal wins is crucial.   2022 may have been it for that.

I dunno, I don't want to be insufferable or anything, but I don't think this roster is going to struggle to be one of the 6 best teams in the league.

I do think competition for advantageous seeding could be hot, and is worth chasing, but Elias channeling Jerry Dipoto I think can be like "I'm good creating a likelihood we're going to play .540 or better baseball.    And, for the sweet sweet price of oh so cheap".     

Adley Rutschman may not like it any better than Cal Raleigh though, especially if it ends up with him trying to hit All-Star relievers and watching randos give up October backbreakers.

Call me on opening day and tell me the same article applies, and he might have a point. But it's January 18. This reminds me of the people freaking out that a stadium lease agreement wasn't in place last summer. It just lacks awareness of when things actually happen. The offseason seemingly used to hit the ground running at winter meetings. It doesn't anymore for whatever reason. I suppose it's because deadlines make deals. That's certainly what it seems like is happening with a lot of talent out there right now.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Os fans: We need a front office that embraces analytics!

Also Os fans: We should just give the White Sox whatever, screw the player value models!

Pretty sure no one is saying that we should just give the White Sox whatever.

More like, hey, how about you stop hoarding guys that can't get out of AAA?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Pretty sure no one is saying that we should just give the White Sox whatever.

More like, hey, how about you stop hoarding guys that can't get out of AAA?

Right, but that really hasn’t happened yet.