Puck News: Orioles sold to Rubenstein

Orioles Jim

8 hours ago, TradeAngelos said:

Haven't hit 3m in 23 years and that was when population of city was 20% higher. Last run we only topped out at 2.5m. That might be just where we are at these days with all the other factors that were not present in the heydays of the 90's. 

Don't think they draw that much from the city, metro area is a better measure IMO.  I'm not sure pure attendance is the best measure anymore either.  With smaller stadiums now being built or reconfigured (as with the Orioles) I think it's more about creating and selling premium seats/environment which isn't as easily measured as attendance.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Expect nothing from them till every other site is reporting it.  These guys have to walk on egg shells. 

I wonder how the feel about it. Probably nervous with new ownership. Will they still have jobs. How will they be evaluated. Roch can’t mail it in every day anymore, I guess. But I shouldn’t lump them together. Steve is pretty good. He talks with Jim Callis a lot and makes an effort in his articles. 

Just now, waroriole said:

I wonder how the feel about it. Probably nervous with new ownership. Will they still have jobs. How will they be evaluated. Roch can’t mail it in every day anymore, I guess. But I shouldn’t lump them together. Steve is pretty good. He talks with Jim Callis a lot and makes an effort in his articles. 

Change is scary for sure for them but I think they keep them on.  And in time I think Roch and Steve can be more honest with reporting.  We need to get some NY style reporting.  This lapdog crap gets old.  

4 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Change is scary for sure for them but I think they keep them on.  And in time I think Roch and Steve can be more honest with reporting.  We need to get some NY style reporting.  This lapdog crap gets old.  

Yep this will be one of the many things that will be interesting to watch, seeing how their styles changes, if at all. 

Omg, this will be what North Koreans feel when they can get rid of the Kim family. 

• Haha 1

By Spotrac the Orioles 2024 payroll is just over $80M. The median is $147M between Arizona and Colorado. Even if the Orioles just return to the 2012-2018 late Peter Angelos, post-Nats days of spending and are middle of the pack, there’s capacity to nearly double the payroll.

Will be very interesting to see what timetable this deal gets approved on and if it affects the rest of this offseason. Every single player the Orioles have the opportunity to drop big money on now - Gunnar, Adley and Holliday as extensions, Snell and Montgomery as FAs, and Cease as trade & extend - are Boras clients. I imagine it’s going to be very hard to find deals that Boras will agree to that Elias/Sig will run through the computer as positive value. 

If Rubenstein comes in the door wanting to make a splash he’s going to have to get cozy with Boras right away, and that could end up testing Elias’ better judgment. But the Orioles still have many years before their core starts to get expensive and now is the time to start spending. 

32 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

One of the many levels of fun for us is in the initial whirl does the tide rise so far we are in on guys like Bo and Vlad, or Soto and Sasaki.

I still don't want Snell or Montgomery occupying a high salary slot forever.

Mike Elias' favorite buy-side trade opportunities - seems like he'll be able to fish in deeper waters than paying James McCann $4 million this year.

Sasaki will be subject to IFA bonus caps if posted this year, so he was already within our budget regardless of ownership.  However, his decision won’t be driven primarily by money (since it won’t vary much across teams) and he’s likely to prefer a west coast team.

Rubinstein will help with spending capacity and risk tolerance, but the market is still what it is and I don’t see them going much beyond $150MM in the near term if even that high.  Further, even with a more accommodating budget constraint, I expect Elias to remain fairly cautious when it comes to spending efficiency and managing future payroll flexibility/optionality.

4 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

By Spotrac the Orioles 2024 payroll is just over $80M. The median is $147M between Arizona and Colorado. Even if the Orioles just return to the 2012-2018 late Peter Angelos, post-Nats days of spending and are middle of the pack, there’s capacity to nearly double the payroll.

Will be very interesting to see what timetable this deal gets approved on and if it affects the rest of this offseason. Every single player the Orioles have the opportunity to drop big money on now - Gunnar, Adley and Holliday as extensions, Snell and Montgomery as FAs, and Cease as trade & extend - are Boras clients. I imagine it’s going to be very hard to find deals that Boras will agree to that Elias/Sig will run through the computer as positive value. 

If Rubenstein comes in the door wanting to make a splash he’s going to have to get cozy with Boras right away, and that could end up testing Elias’ better judgment. But the Orioles still have many years before their core starts to get expensive and now is the time to start spending. 

Elias and Boras are already cozy, IMO.   We just don’t buy his guy but I think Boras likes and respects Mike.