Orioles close to acquiring Corbin Burnes (Update: Acquired for Joey Ortiz and DL Hall)

ThisIsBirdland

12 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Burnes is going to get a massive deal because of his durability. I’m sure Boras’ asking price will be to surpass Cole’s deal and he’s not going to extend prior to free agency for anything less.

The Orioles do this deal regardless of extension, but I do think it opens a small sliver of possibility of signing Burnes long term. It only happens if the Orioles new ownership group is committed to running $150M+ payrolls every year AND Elias thinks Burnes is one of the rare exceptions where a mega SP contract is advisable given the team composition and Burnes’ durability, and now they have a year of access to knowing his work ethic/conditioning/current health in a way that you don’t get when signing a free agent. 

Between Adley, Gunnar, Holliday and now Burnes (and potentially Snell/Montgomery?), Elias and new ownership sure are going to have a lot to talk about with Boras. The “Boras players never sign extensions” axiom, which is largely true with some exceptions, is going to get tested. The Orioles have literally zero future financial commitments and all of that possibility from new ownership could be directed to Boras clients. 

Committed to running 150m payrolls?.....it's not 2015 anymore. That would still be below league average (in 2024 that is). The question should be if they are committed to running 200m payrolls, not 150m. 200m in 2025 and beyond will still only be 12-14th overall. It's like this fanbase has been in a payroll coma for a decade and just woke up. Wait how much do players cost now? And these teams are spending how much?? Wow! So much has changed. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

The only credit that I give Angelos for is selling the team... Good riddance! The Angelos plague has been a dark cloud hanging over this franchise for 30 years. I'm just glad that I lived long enough to see this day come where they are finally gone! 

It’s a new day!  Elias and the youth movement is the lynchpin to a “perennial contender”.  The added payroll is the icing for raising the ceiling in a competitive window.  

Elias has taken many queues from his years in HOU.  I have to think he’ll be watching their decision shift and results with interest.

1 minute ago, TradeAngelos said:

Committed to running 150m payrolls?.....it's not 2015 anymore. That would still be below league average (in 2024 that is). The question should be if they are committed to running 200m payrolls, not 150m. 200m in 2025 and beyond will still only be 12-14th overall. It's like this fanbase has been in a payroll coma for a decade and just woke up. Wait how much do players cost now? And these teams are spending how much?? Wow! So much has changed. 

I agree but let’s take baby steps and leave room for the guys on this team now.

5 minutes ago, TradeAngelos said:

At least one person gets it. Maybe the other 500 around here will get it one day. 

Yes, perhaps some day we peons will all be as brilliant as you.   Until then, we’ll just wallow in our ignorance and complacency.  

• Upvote 3

Actual headline on the Athletic
"How Orioles’ trade for Corbin Burnes impacts Yankees’ outlook"  to which I reply F'em.

The moves the Yankees made this offseason in trading for Juan Soto, Alex Verdugo and Trent Grisham, plus signing starting pitcher Marcus Stroman in free agency, helped close the gap between them and the Orioles. But this trade for Burnes certainly helps push the momentum back in Baltimore’s direction because of how deep their roster already was.

With a new ownership group on the way with deeper pockets than the Angelos family, a stacked farm system that features the No. 1 overall prospect in infielder Jackson Holliday and several young stars firmly established in the big leagues, the Orioles are going to be a problem for many years. This is just the beginning.

https://theathletic.com/5246039/2024/02/02/orioles-corbin-burnes-trade-yankees-outlook/?source=freedailyemail&campaign=601983

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TradeAngelos said:

We will probably need an operating payroll of about $180 million to extend Holliday, Henderson, and Rutschman along with extending/signing a top pitcher like Burnes. Should all be doable with this new ownership group.

I think our fans have been told (lied to) that we are a "small market" for so long that most have believed/accepted. But remember the Padres were a historically "small market" team until they weren't under their current owner. The Rangers have historically been a mid-size market at best until their new owner. The Astros, the same (even though the city of Houston is one of the largest in the country). The "market-size" is tied to the pocket size of the owner and that owner's willingness to spend. Detroit was one of the highest spending teams for a while under their previous owner before he died.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yes, perhaps some day we peons will all be as brilliant as you.   Until then, we’ll just wallow in our ignorance and complacency.  

I'm not brilliant I just haven't been brainwashed like you all apparently have been. And beaten into payroll submission with scars that might never go away. I know you are perfectly fine with (still) living in total fear due to what your captor has done to you over the past 30 years, but I am not. 

• Downvote 3

2 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

We will probably need an operating payroll of about $180 million to extend Holliday, Henderson, and Rutschman along with extending/signing a top pitcher like Burnes. Should all be doable with this new ownership group.

I think our fans have been told (lied to) that we are a "small market" for so long that most have believed/accepted. But remember the Padres were a historically "small market" team until they weren't under their current owner. The Rangers have historically been a mid-size market at best until their new owner. The Astros, the same (even though the city of Houston is one of the largest in the country). The "market-size" is tied to the pocket size of the owner and that owner's willingness to spend. Detroit was one of the highest spending teams for a while under their previous owner before he died.

Couldn't agree more. That is why it is so frustrating to read this stuff.  We have never been a small market team, but this fanbase has been beaten into submission over and over again by former ownership so bad they just can't wrap their head around this. I hope they prepare themselves for what is coming, they might have a nervous breakdown if we actually start spending at the ......middle of the pack level. 

2 minutes ago, TradeAngelos said:

I'm not brilliant I just haven't been brainwashed like you all apparently have been. And beaten into payroll submission with scars that might never go away. I know you are perfectly fine with (still) living in total fear due to what your captor has done to you over the past 30 years, but I am not. 

I think people are still processing the sale and the ramifications. It'll take a while to get used to the new reality. Doesn't mean anyone is "brainwashed".