Orioles close to acquiring Corbin Burnes (Update: Acquired for Joey Ortiz and DL Hall)

ThisIsBirdland

7 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I think the one year rental can switch. 

And it didn’t seem that he really cared that much about the number during the video interview.  Usually guys who are obsessive/superstitious about uniform numbers make it pretty well known when asked. 

11 hours ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

So Burnes will be 30 at the end of next year when he is a FA. He will play all on 2025 at 30 as he has an October Birthday. So what would be a reasonable extention foe him?

Comps:

1) Gerrit Cole, Yankees: 9 years, $324 million (2020-28); Age 29 season to begin, had not won a CYA, 3 time AS.

2) Stephen Strasburg, Washington Nationals – 7 years, $245M (2020-26); Age 31 season, had not won a CYA, 3 time AS

3) David Price, Red Sox,  7 years, $217 million (2016-22); Age 29 season, one CYA, 5 time AS

4) Clayton Kershaw, Dodgers, 7 years $215 million (2014-2020); Age 26 season, 3 time CYA, one MVP, 4 time AS

5) Zach Greinke, D-backs, 6 years, $206.5 million (2016-21); Age 32, one CYA, 2 GG, 3 time AS

2025 best case scenario for Burnes (he is both an AS and wins the CYA in 2024) Age 30 season, 2 CYA, 4 time AS.

So I would speculate that a reasonable offer to Burnes for a FA contract next year would be right around Strasburg money: 7 years and $250 M. Any thoughts on that?

Only one of those ended up terrible. 

Pitcher contracts are so difficult. They do not have as much value during the regular season but you have to have them in postseason. Texas acquired both Evoldi and Montgomery last year to propel them to World Series. 

2 hours ago, IPlayGM said:

Would have loved to have heard his answer to this: “How does this trade impact the odds of Jackson Holliday making the OD roster?”

Would you expect any real information from an Elias answer?  All Elias answers are purposely vague and you have to read between the lines.  He has said it's a possibility, but is that because he doesn't want to look like he is gaming an extra year of control?

2 hours ago, IPlayGM said:

Would have loved to have heard his answer to this: “How does this trade impact the odds of Jackson Holliday making the OD roster?”

So many roster questions pertaining to this trade and other moves are out there…and none of them were asked.

I've actually been thinking about it.  I've been one of the most conservative voices on the board in regards to a prediction of Holliday reaching the MLs.

I think the Ortiz trade probably speeds up his schedule.

15 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Probably because they knew he wouldn't answer them anyway.

Maybe but you can ask questions in ways where he gives you some sort of an answer that gives you a glimpse into his thinking.  4 questions asking if getting Burnes is good is a waste of everyone’s time.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I've actually been thinking about it.  I've been one of the most conservative voices on the board in regards to a prediction of Holliday reaching the MLs.

Of course…they have always needed to move on Ortiz or Westburg. That isn’t news.  It was just  matter of when. This offseason was always the best time to do it.

20 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Maybe but you can ask questions in ways where he gives you some sort of an answer that gives you a glimpse into his thinking.  4 questions asking if getting Burnes is good is a waste of everyone’s time.

Honestly, I think Elias is pretty forthcoming. He has told people what he is planning on doing whether it was that he wanted to build up the Latin American program, that he wanted to rebuild the farm, that he didn’t think there was a probability of making the playoffs when he traded Mancini and Lopez, that he didn’t see the strategy to trading Santander last off-season, that he wanted to acquire pitching at the deadline, that he wanted a front of the rotation starter this off-season, etc. He mixes in some GM speak, but if they asked questions about roster makeup, etc. I’m certain he would’ve provided some insight aside from Corbin Burnes is good!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jabba72 said:

He's going to have to get familiar with the AL East scouting reports or he's going to get bombed. Luckily, the O's have a top notch advanced scouting team thats probably ahead of what he's used to in Milwaukee. But I could be off on that. I just know the O's have excellent advanced scouting.

Looking at how Brewers pitching has done in recent years, I'm guessing they're pretty good at scouting reports. 

3 hours ago, Pickles said:

I think the more accurate question is how Holliday’s timeline influenced the Os approach to trading Ortiz.

Ortiz should never be a barrier to Holliday.