Naming rights to stadium to be announced today?

SemperFi

11 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Springsteen rescheduled for this year.   Maybe he was clued in to the owner change.  Maybe the Rolling Bones will come here and dedicate this to Rubenstein

Soon after Peter Angelos took over the team in the fall of 1993, he and the stadium authority clashed over whether the authority could stage rock concerts at Oriole Park. Angelos balked at the idea of the stadium having the Rolling Stones and Pink Floyd at the ballpark in 1994, saying he was concerned the stage could damage the playing field.

“I’m not going to have it become some kind of honky-tonk for various and sundry rock ‘n’ roll bands,” Angelos said in an interview on the topic four years ago.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Going Underground said:

Soon after Peter Angelos took over the team in the fall of 1993, he and the stadium authority clashed over whether the authority could stage rock concerts at Oriole Park. Angelos balked at the idea of the stadium having the Rolling Stones and Pink Floyd at the ballpark in 1994, saying he was concerned the stage could damage the playing field.

“I’m not going to have it become some kind of honky-tonk for various and sundry rock ‘n’ roll bands,” Angelos said in an interview on the topic four years ago.

Van Halen sues Orioles over concert that wasn’t – Baltimore Sun
https://www.baltimoresun.com/2004/08/19/van-halen-sues-orioles-over-concert-that-wasnt/

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Meanwhile, the other day I saw reported the below from an Oakland official dunking on John Fisher.    I'm not a Maryland taxpayer anymore and as a baseball nut it does take some intention to think about OPACY as "not just a baseball stadium" but if everyone's engaging with beneficial revitalization work, yeah optimize that asset.

“Luckily we make more money with one exhibition soccer game at the Coliseum than we do throughout the entire A’s season,” Hanson said. “So they won’t be missed.”

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Meanwhile, the other day I saw reported the below from an Oakland official dunking on John Fisher.    I'm not a Maryland taxpayer anymore and as a baseball nut it does take some intention to think about OPACY as "not just a baseball stadium" but if everyone's engaging with beneficial revitalization work, yeah optimize that asset.

“Luckily we make more money with one exhibition soccer game at the Coliseum than we do throughout the entire A’s season,” Hanson said. “So they won’t be missed.”

That is one exhibition soccer game. Need to fill the stadium with other events or it is a empty ugly stadium.  If the A's were drawing a little better then you have people going to the stadium and perhaps eating at restaurants near the stadium ,etc.

Just now, Going Underground said:

I see it happening. Some good profit in it,especially if the MSA gives them all of the proceeds as they have done for the few they have had. 

My follow-up question would be, if so, does Angelos continue to take the reigns on it. 

On 2/6/2024 at 1:13 PM, interloper said:

Haha. Yeah I'm not sure why a company would be like "oh no, a new and better and more exciting owner who will attract more eyes and ears to our name, SUCH DECEPTION". Come on. Put your dumb name on the stadium and give Uncle Ruben a cool $60 mil or whatever. 

In my dreams Rubenstein said "No corporate name, deal is off now that I am (about to be) in charge" ... don't correct me, I've got my fingers in my ears and I'm stomping and humming