Kyle Bradish Has Sprained UCL, Will Start Season On IL (4/9 Update: Assigned rehab assignment w/Aberdeen)

DrinkinWithFermi

17 streaming minutes with reporter Andy Kostka and host Paul Mancano.     Has Mancano bounced from MASN to the Banner, or is he just gigging?    I have noticed Brendan Mortensen recently doing content solo I was used to him and Mancano doing together last year.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We just agreed to $3.5 million with O’Hearn. Cowser and Kjerstad aren’t currently locks to be on the OD roster, or have a clear path to everyday ABs. So why have them just getting older in AAA. Norby as well. 

I agree we could see another prospect getting traded shortly depending what route the Orioles decide to go on bolstering the pitching staff with Bradish now being a question mark.

I'd be curious to know what his off-season workouts were, when he started, and where he was in the ramp up process coming in to camp.  There's a growing school of thought out there that taking time off after the season is a bad idea and recipe for disaster.  The studies point to the vast majority of UCL injuries occurring in the first two months of the season and in spring training.  Rest and recovery are important, but long periods of inactivity can be detrimental and lead to injury.  If you do take an extended period of time-off you have to build back up very slowly and over a very long period of time.  

6 minutes ago, G54377 said:

Can we sign Bauer or is he persona non grada. 

Why tarnish everything we've built after how we got here?  We're just going to have to take a risk that we're giving up valuable prospects in a trade.  We don't have the luxury to hoard anymore.  It's a bigger risk to go into a year 1 of 4 of Adley/Gunnar/Holliday all on the same team with a patchwork rotation.  

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Why tarnish everything we've built after how we got here?  We're just going to have to take a risk that we're giving up valuable prospects in a trade.  We don't have the luxury to hoard anymore.  It's a bigger risk to go into a year 1 of 4 of Adley/Gunnar/Holliday all on the same team with a patchwork rotation.  

But what’s the risk of signing bauer to a 1 year/850k salary?

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

This is Mcdermott chance to make it out of camp. Whenever I see UCL strain it is inevitable TJ is coming. 3 months, 6 months, 2 years it is coming. They will use Irvin and Wells to supplement but we should be ultra aggressive early before the deadline. Tough day for the organization.

Tough day for the fanbase. The organization has apparently known about this for a month or so. 

This whole situation sucks, probably the best rotation in my lifetime is destroyed before the first spring training game.

What I don't understand is the combination of Elias knowing about this injury and the Burnes trade.  Why would we trade prospects for a pitcher with one year of control if we knew we were going to be without Bradish in addition to Bautista.  Wouldn't a trade for a controllable Marlins pitcher make a lot more sense?

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

With Ortiz gone and Gunnar down, sure doesn't look like we are 'hoarding' IFers anymore.  If you trade Westburg (which is who you'd have to trade for a Cease or comparable pitcher) you go into the year with Urias 3B, Mateo SS, and Holiday 2B and zero depth outside of Norby who a questionable fielder.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He would cost next to nothing and would probably be fairly competent. 

5 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

This whole situation sucks, probably the best rotation in my lifetime is destroyed before the first spring training game.

What I don't understand is the combination of Elias knowing about this injury and the Burnes trade.  Why would we trade prospects for a pitcher with one year of control if we knew we were going to be without Bradish in addition to Bautista.  Wouldn't a trade for a controllable Marlins pitcher make a lot more sense?

Maybe it's a manageable injury and they expect him back sometime this summer.

6 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

With Ortiz gone and Gunnar down, sure doesn't look like we are 'hoarding' IFers anymore.  If you trade Westburg (which is who you'd have to trade for a Cease or comparable pitcher) you go into the year with Urias 3B, Mateo SS, and Holiday 2B and zero depth outside of Norby who a questionable fielder.  

Team - "Gunnar nursing syrained oblique, expected to miss 2-3 weeks". Brandon Hyde said he is not concerned at all about Henderson's health.

You - "Gunnar will miss Opening Day, six weeks from today".

15 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Elias has known about the Bradish injury.  Look at our recent moves,

- Negotiate to get a team option for O'Hearn for 2025.

- Make waiver claim trades for IFs Nevin, Maton, and Soto.

Looks to me like Elias sought IF depth, and DH options.  The two positions where Kjerstad, and Norby, would provide depth at for this year and next.  

Edited by sportsfan8703