Kyle Bradish Has Sprained UCL, Will Start Season On IL (4/9 Update: Assigned rehab assignment w/Aberdeen)

DrinkinWithFermi

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Ugh…well, this is why I said we needed to add 1 and really 2 new starters.

Cease thread about to get to 400 pages!

Yep, we had insane luck with starters health last year and now we’re down 2 the first week of spring which were already known to the team.

Just now, Tony-OH said:

I hope they are right because they know way more about the sprain then we do, but they tried this treatment stuff with Tate last year and he missed the whole year and who knows how he'll look this year. 

I hope he'll be fine but I'm going into this thinking they are delaying the inevitable just like they did with Bautista. The problem is the timing. If they wait until April or May to have the surgery, that's part of 2025 missed as well. 

Pretty sure they've evaluated the odds of success versus when they can expect a return. I imagine having a successful PRP therapy and a return at some point in 2024 has a tremendous amount of upside versus missing a couple months in 2025. Can't let Tate and Bautista serve as anecdotal reasons not to try to salvage 2024 if there's a decent chance he can make it back.

• Upvote 1

From the same article...

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/02/orioles-kyle-bradish-ucl-sprain-elbow-injured-list.html#respond

Gunnar Henderson is behind schedule due to an oblique injury that’ll still need another two to three weeks of downtime

-  Samuel Basallo, meanwhile, has a stress fracture in his throwing elbow and will be limited to DH work in camp. He could begun throwing again by late April

John Means is about a month behind the rest of the O’s starters, as the team had him delay the start of his offseason program after an elbow flare-up prior to last year’s ALDS 

Just now, ThisIsBirdland said:

Pretty sure they've evaluated the odds of success versus when they can expect a return. I imagine having a successful PRP therapy and a return at some point in 2024 has a tremendous amount of upside versus missing a couple months in 2025. Can't let Tate and Bautista serve as anecdotal reasons not to try to salvage 2024 if there's a decent chance he can make it back.

Like I said, they know more about the injury then me, but I have very little hope that PRP therapy actually works on major league pitchers long term. I hope they are right because losing Bradish for this season and part of next would be a gigantic blow.

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Where did you read this?

It's in the MLBTR article. https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/02/orioles-kyle-bradish-ucl-sprain-elbow-injured-list.html#respond

My favorite sentence in the Elias quote. If anyone tries to read anything concrete into Elias's statements I think we will be able to point back to this one:

The GM struck an optimistic tone, noting that “everything is pointing in the right direction” for the talented right-hander.

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

Means is out to start the season too.  Cease trade?  Montgomery or Snell signing?  Wells to SP?  Irvin SP?

Down 2 starters for at least the first month of the season. The bullpen cannot absorb both Wells and Irvin starting. We have to make some kind of move here. 

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I think anyone on this board deserves more respect than a comment like that. That's like saying, "Nobody cares what you have to say" on a board that is specifically designed to allow people to have their say.  Nobody here thinks Elias is reading this board and going, "Oh, Tony doesn't like that so I better stat playing Kjerstad!" lol
    • I get it, like I said, I personally think is a temporary move for a bench player while Hays is on the IL and not a trial run for a really long look at him yet. If the argument is O'Hearn isn't good out there, I'll buy that every day all day, I will also say that O'Hearn, right now, is a much more valuable bat to have in the lineup at this point in the season.
    • As disappointing as Santander seems right now, he was worse last year through March/April, we all know what he did after that. I think it's too early to call him dead weight.
    • This is a team that runs O'Hearn out to RF. If they are willing to do that, they should be willing to run Kjerstad out there because they are not really all that different defensively in RF. Kjerstad is not a great defender, but he's not some Trumbo like liability out there either (though Trumbo threw way better than Kjerstad). I did this once before, but I showed how you can rotate guys around to give him semi-regular PAs. Player day off: Santander - Kjerstad plays RF O'Hearn - Kjerstad DH Mountcastle - O'Hearn to 1B, Kjerstad to RF Mullins day off - Cowser to CF, Kjersatd to LF (live with the defense that day) Cowser day off - Kjerstad to LF Rutschman day off after catching too often - MCann catch, Kjerstad DH Even if you don't want Kjerstad in LF, that's still 4 other starters you can give a day off to and Kjerstad hit left-handers ok, so it's not like he can't play against Lefties.  They can find a way to get him 3-4 starts and PH in another 1-2 easily. If they don't want to do that, and it's ok if they have a different opinion of him, then send him back down and have him wait his turn and bring up Stowers or go get Hicks and let them play once a week.
    • Just my take: I think they just called up the best player available. He's here to be a pinch-hitter or a Santander sub for a short period of time if Hyde wants to utilize him like that. If he doesn't, that's his prerogative, but Elias has given him the best hitter available on the farm to use as he sees fit. Once Hays is back, Kjerstad will go back down to get regular ABs, just like Stowers did, just like Cowser did. They won't let him linger on the bench too much longer. Kjerstad, Stowers, Norby, and Mayo are all incredible depth pieces, future ML starters, and excellent trade chips. Perhaps Elias didn't get any offers he liked in the offseason, so I think the plan is to hold them all as depth until July, and then swing something big. At least, that's what I hope happens.  Another potential is that perhaps Elias could have dealt one or two for pitching in the offseason, but is holding his cards for now just in case he needs to trade for another big name SP. Like if Bradish doesn't work out, or Burnes gets hurt. Something like that.  Like most of their decisions, Elias/Sig seem to like to kick the can down the road as long as possible. 
    • The organization definitely likes Kjerstad's bat, but there is a logjam at 1B/RF/DH that makes it tough for him to crack the lineup. I agree with Tony that there is enough wiggle room to give the other regulars a rest day during the week opening up room for Kjerstad to start 2 to 3 times. Rutschman complicates this as well because of his bat on the days he's not catching there's a good chance he's playing DH (like tonight).
    • I agree with this, but it's apparent they brought him up to be the 26th man. I've never been a big Kjerstad fan so I'm not really upset about it but I also agree with you...if you're going to bring someone up that's ranked like he is, you play them. If it were me, I'd be on the horn trying to trade him for a great bullpen arm.
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now