Kyle Bradish Has Sprained UCL, Will Start Season On IL (4/9 Update: Assigned rehab assignment w/Aberdeen)

DrinkinWithFermi

1 minute ago, brooooksy said:

I always agreed with you about acquiring another starter but I don’t understand why signing a pitcher is anathema but trading prospects for one is okay. It’s not your money

They aren’t going to do it and they shouldn’t do it. It’s just poor practice to give out 6-8 year deals to pitchers. 

Just now, interloper said:

Right now I'm just looking at: how do we get through April with 2 guys missing from the rotation. I'm trying not to prognosticate too much about Bradish. 

But the rotation as it stands now has Dean Kremer as its #3 starter for the month of April until Means ever makes it back. That's not going to cut it. 

Oh I think they should make moves. Even if Bradish comes back they'll certainly take it easy with him and build him up slowly; I think anything before mid-Summer is crazy to expect, but we don't know. Regardless, I think everyone here is correct that even if you like your Wells/Irvin rotation depth, your bullpen is now a lot weaker, and the SP innings will be reduced. Some moves should absolutely be made. 

3 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

We have past data, and that past data almost uniformly says "it's TJS time."

But maybe we'll get lucky and Bradish will fall into that tiny percentage of pitchers that manage to avoid TJS with a PRP injection. That would be pretty neat.

Really interested in the data you're referencing, and I'm not being facetious here.

20 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

I think this is a bit of an over reaction.  Is there a chance this happens? Yes.  However, the GM stated this morning he expects him back this season.  I think we can wait and see how the throwing program goes over the next couple weeks before we call the season a wrap. 

Elias is "hopeful" but I don't think anyone will know until we see how he responds to treatment. Some people do, some don't. Basically he went from our #2 pitcher stud to a question mark who could potentially be out until mid-2025 if they keep delaying.

If everything goes right for Means, he will be back early to mid May.

Bradish is probably looking at June in the best case scenario. 

So, we are talking about these guys missing a combined total of probably at least 20 starts. That probably equates to 110 or so innings that we have to cover now.  It’s possible that Irvin could be as good as Means. I think Means is better in 2021 and 2022, It in averaged about 180 innings and a 4.10 ERA.  I didn’t think Means would get more than 130 innings or so and I didn’t expect his ERA to be much better than that.

The problem is Bradish because not only were you expecting the innings but you were expecting a TOR level guy and you need that and, more importantly, you need it for October.

Go get Cease.  Offer up Cowser or Kjerstad to lead the package and get it done.  You have the ability to do it and you have the need now..not to mention he is here next year, which helps with the loss of Burnes.

If you get lucky and Bradish comes back this year, even better. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Go get Cease.  Offer up Cowser or Kjerstad to lead the package and get it done.  You have the ability to do it and you have the need now..not to mention he is here next year, which helps with the loss of Burnes.

If you get lucky and Bradish comes back this year, even better. 

Cease is definitely back in the fold.  Especially since it looks like both Cowser and Kjerstad will start the season in the minors.  Trading one of them for Cease is definitely prospect value well spent.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Cease is definitely back in the fold.  Especially since it looks like both Cowser and Kjerstad will start the season in the minors.  Trading one of them for Cease is definitely prospect value well spent.  

Tell that to Getz though. He's got Elias by the screws now. His waiting game might actually pay off. 

2 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Really interested in the data you're referencing, and I'm not being facetious here.

The "data" I am referencing is the fact that the overwhelming majority of UCL sprains still result in TJS. There are only a handful of notable cases where PRP successfully negated the need for TJS. 

Obviously that isn't exactly scientific, but I have followed general baseball news for many years and have read "pitcher X tried PRP but will now going to undergo surgery because it didn't work" more times than I have read "pitcher X tried PRP and he's totally fine now," and it's not even remotely close.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Good Lord, this is about the worse news possible on opening day of camp. How in the world do you sprain your UCL over the offseason?

Wow, what a bummer. Guess Elias better get on the phone and get something done or Tyler Wells/Cole Irvin just became starter candidates.

Looks like he sprained it when he started his throwing program back up.  Sucks regardless but does explain why Elias kept talking about adding to the pen when getting Burnes automatically sent a starter to the pen.  Good job by the team keeping things quiet to keep the price of Burnes down.