3rd Base. Is there a competition?

RZNJ

Honestly Urias is in the conversation too. I wouldn't be surprised if he is the opening day starter. Could be Urias will be the "Adam Frazier" placeholder veteran for Mayo's spot. Hopefully Mayo doesn't get the Westburg treatment and basically repeat AAA before getting called up. 

I would guess starting 3B pecking order something like Urias, Westburg, Mayo, with 2B something like Holliday (when ready), Westburg, Urias, Norby.

Seems like with good options at 3B and Mayo unlikely to win ROY they might as well keep him down and get the extra year, but when they bring him up and where will be an interesting call. 

I wish one of these guys (Mayo, Stowers, Kjerstad, Urias, Santander) could get a little time at 1B. 

1.  No I think he bounces between 2B and 3B all season. May get some time in LF as injury fill in or if Holliday and Mayo both come up and out hit him. 

2. To make OD? Not with Mountcastle and OHearn tying up two roster spots. 

3.  Odd question. If Mayo didn’t finish up strong in Norfolk would we even be discussing him for OD. I guess if Westburg hadn’t established himself in Baltimore last year, he would not be looked at as favorably but I think what they do with Mayo will be tied in to service time. 

I think Urias has to  be included in the 3rd base equation.

The future is hopefully Mayo at 3rd with a big bat.   But it doesn't have to be to start the season.   Not if  its Holliday at 2B.    Two rookies in the infield going through rookies adjustment in the field and at bat is a little much.   I would send Mayo to AAA until Holliday settles in.

Holliday at 2B and Westburg at 3B to begin the season seems reasonable.

Urias is the best 3B defensively of the three.   He will close a lot of games protecting leads. And Urias will also start some games a 3B/2B with Westburg also backing up  2B.

So who goes when Mayo is promoted is a good question.   I think O'Hearn better keep hitting.   Also no player on the O's should even break a nail because the slightest injury could put them on the 10  day (or 15 day for pitchers) injury list.

Edited by wildcard
  • Upvote 1

I'm guessing Mayo starts the season in Norfolk. Westburg and Urias move around at 2B and 3B in the beginning.

Unfortunately the best 26 will not start the season in Baltimore. They're not going to release guys that are under contract before the season begins, and it's unlikely that any trades occur just yet.

Does a team going for it, go Mayo-3rd, Gunner-ss, Holliday-2nd? We need another big right-handed bat and Mayo serves that purpose but I'm not sure the O's will start out that way. One of Mayo/ Holliday maybe, but not both. I know there has been talk of Mayo on first but that isn't happening without more work. So, the question to start the year, is Mayo, Westburg, or Urias on third? I will be surprised but not disappointed if it isn't Urias barring a trade. But Mayo, Gunner, Holliday is one heck of a future and in my mind the futere is not far away.

I sure would like to move one of Urias, O'Hearn or even Santander for a good bullpen arm, but I just don't think team's move good BP arms this time of the year.

Mayo looks totally ready, Westburg is ready to be an every day big leaguer, and Urias is a quality major league big leaguer. 

A lot depends on what they are going to do with Holliday, who also has looked ready against right-handed major league pitching. If Holliday stays, then I think Westburg is the every day 3B, Urias a super sub between 3B/2B and DH and Mayo unfortunately goes back to AAA where I'd like to see them give him 1B and RF time to open up options.

I'm wondering though if they've secretly tried Mayo in RF on the back fields and he hasn't looked good so they've scrapped that plan, assuming it was ever really a plan.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Injuries often do that.   Deep depth is a good thing for a World Series contender.

People say depth is a good thing and while that’s partially true, there is also a lot of problems with it.

If “depth” is keeping you from playing your best players, that’s a problem. 

Mayo just isn’t going to be an everyday third baseman for the Os this year. I get that they want him to play third but it’s just not going to happen because they aren’t going to bench Westburg.

Mayo needs to be playing RF and 1st. 

The Os just really need to make a few trades.  This was obvious in the offseason and it’s more obvious now.

A couple of things...

1. This is why it made/makes sense to include Westburg in a trade to get Luzardo or Cease.  

2. How often do contenders make in season trades to buy and sell at the deadline?  

Unless we make a move, then I see Westburg-Gunnar-Holliday as our main IF lineup with Urias/Mateo as our bench.  Mayo in AAA.  We have great positional depth and flexibility.  That's what gets you to the playoffs in a 162 game season.  It would be nice to reallocate this abundance of position players for a Means/Bradish replacement if needed.  We could buy the next Burnes next offseason as well.  

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I sure would like to move one of Urias, O'Hearn or even Santander for a good bullpen arm, but I just don't think team's move good BP arms this time of the year.

Mayo looks totally ready, Westburg is ready to be an every day big leaguer, and Urias is a quality major league big leaguer. 

A lot depends on what they are going to do with Holliday, who also has looked ready against right-handed major league pitching. If Holliday stays, then I think Westburg is the every day 3B, Urias a super sub between 3B/2B and DH and Mayo unfortunately goes back to AAA where I'd like to see them give him 1B and RF time to open up options.

I'm wondering though if they've secretly tried Mayo in RF on the back fields and he hasn't looked good so they've scrapped that plan, assuming it was ever really a plan.

Urias to the Cubs for Little is a deal I like.  Big dude and has big numbers in the minors. 

It’s not definite that he makes their pen and it’s not definite that even if he does, that he will be a big piece there, at least for a while.

They need/want a third baseman. Urias can help them now. Little can help us. 

I think that’s the type of reliever you can maybe get now. Someone that has upside but not necessarily a main piece right now.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1