Albert Suarez: AAA Insurance or ML Contributor?

RZNJ

Frankly, from what I've seen he's too good to waste down in AAA, waiting for an injury to another starter.  Besides it sounds like Means should be back in May and we'll likely have Teheran as a long man in the bullpen as well.  Suarez may never get an opportunity as a starter.   Give me that 95-97 mph fastball in 3-4 pitch mix and give him anywhere between the 6th and 8th innings.

He's just what the relief corps needs.

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 3

It will be a glorious moment for You Can't Predict Baseball if the NRI Elias adds to the Orioles is Albert Suarez and not Jackson Holliday.

Some of us wanted Hector Neris or Ryne Stanek even after Kimbrel, and if Suarez gains the opportunity it'll be interesting to see if he can perform like a strong 7th inning kind of guy.

As with Cole Irvin, it feels probable the enhancements to turbo charge this velo won't sustain, but it doesn't matter if they can do it for a month or two early in the year.

Grayson Rodriguez I'd guess could touch >101 except for the Club urging him not to try....he isn't disposable.

He's been a breeze to watch but I think it's way too early to know--not going to form an opinion on a 34-yo fastballer based on two early ST appearances. K/9 rates in Japan and Korea were not nearly as good as he's shown us so far.

Trivial fact: Hit 4 for 21 with 2 doubles and 3 sac bunts for SF in 2016.

He's pitched well but we are talking about a very small sample in fake games. Elias's m.o. is to keep guys from being exposed to waivers at all costs so Webb and Baumann have the advantage. Tate has options but he has pitched well so far too.

One possibility would be to let him and Teheran battle for 5th starter and let Wells support the pen. 

He’s going to need a much larger sample given he won’t be optionable if they add him to the roster. He could make it if there are some more injuries but I don’t think they are going to DFA somebody or lock up another roster spot until they’ve seen him dominate in AAA for at least a little bit. 

If he pitches the whole Spring Training like he has so far, it will be interesting though. I would be surprised if he is an early cut. They also need to decide whether they want him starting or trying to max velo as a reliever. 

he club is stretching him out as a starting pitcher, which likely means he is ticketed to begin the year in Triple-A Norfolk as organizational starting depth.

Albert Suárez ‘opened up a lot of eyes’ in Orioles camp amid MLB comeback bid (msn.com)

Seems kind of unusual to stretch out someone thats 34 years old to be a starter but that appears to be the O's plan.

A few KBO season samples:

2023 Erick Fedde - 209/35 K/bb and 2.00 ERA in 180 ip

2023 Albert Suarez - 88/32 K/bb and 4.50 ERA in 108 ip

2020 Chris Flexen - 132/30 K/bb and 3.01 ERA in 116 ip         hmmm....was Flexen the best American pitcher that got to 100 game IP in 2020?

Fedde and Flexen are both in the White Sox SP mix now, with more opportunity for both if a trade occurs.

I saw Suarez mentioned hip separation as part of what's helping him right now dial it up.

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

4 innings today, allowed 3 earned vs the Jays A lineup (excluding Vlad,).

Gave up all three runs in the first inning, including two on a home run by Kirk that would not have been a home run in any major league stadium. 

image.thumb.png.984e68fe877ef221310eaebfae06ab6d.png