Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

8 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

It's about getting his lead heel down on time for the high velo but also maintaining the sequence for something offspeed.  He’s doing neither well.  No leg kick is just less moving parts but planting the heel is what really starts the actual swing.

Agree.  If I am the Os brass....when they get back from CA, send him down, bat him first, and guide him to keep some sort of forward leg motion but to lose the high leg kick.  I kind of equate it to shooting a free throw or receiving a serve in tennis.  You don't want to just be standing dead still when doing either.  Same with getting ready for a pitch.  Maybe a sort of slide step would keep him more on balance while also getting his body ready to swing.  But right now with the high leg kick?  MLB pitchers are completely dominating him.

26 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

If a playoff game were to be played tomorrow, I'd feel alot more confident about the Orioles chances with Urias and Westburg in the lineup and Holliday wasn't. Specifically, Urias taking his gold glove to 3rd base and Westburg playing 2nd base.

Sure.  But what if Holliday pays his rookie tax and is Robbie Alomar 2.0?  Or even Brian Roberts 2.0?  If he’s the Ghost of John Gochnaur, then we have Urias.

9 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Agree.  If I am the Os brass....when they get back from CA, send him down, bat him first, and guide him to keep some sort of forward leg motion but to lose the high leg kick.  I kind of equate it to shooting a free throw or receiving a serve in tennis.  You don't want to just be standing dead still when doing either.  Same with getting ready for a pitch.  Maybe a sort of slide step would keep him more on balance while also getting his body ready to swing.  But right now with the high leg kick?  MLB pitchers are completely dominating him.

45 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

If a playoff game were to be played tomorrow, I'd feel alot more confident about the Orioles chances with Urias and Westburg in the lineup and Holliday wasn't. Specifically, Urias taking his gold glove to 3rd base and Westburg playing 2nd base.

The good news is that it’s April 21st and we aren’t close to the end of the year.

We literally just went through this last year with Gunnar and the year before with Adley…and people still don’t, can’t and won’t learn.  It’s really astounding how the same scenarios pop up and there is zero learning from it.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

The good news is that it’s April 21st and we aren’t close to the end of the year.

We literally just went through this last year with Gunnar and the year before with Adley…and people still don’t, can’t and won’t learn.  It’s really astounding how the same scenarios pop up and there is zero learning from it.

The O's weren't winning yet when Adley went through this, so some of the "fans" weren't paying attention.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Adley and Gunnar had some initial struggles.

They didn't strike out 50% of their at bats and look bad in the field simultaneously.

It's disingenuous to compare their struggles with Holliday's.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Stowers and Cowser were different.  Each weren’t getting consistent at bats in Baltimore.  Neither really seized the opportunity in the limited times they were offered, either.  With Hays, Tony, and Cedric it was hard for them to get consistent playing time. And then there was the love affair with Hicks and McKenna. 

Holliday is getting consistent at bats here. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen Mateo go through a 1-28 stretch a time or two, don’t care to see it again. 

Like I said, I don’t see the need to move Westy off third, leave that guy alone. The left side of the infield is set. 

That leaves Mateo and Urias to play second base if Holliday is sent down, and while I like those guys I don’t feel the need to see them at 2nd. I guess maybe Norby comes up, but reports are his defense at second isn’t great. 

Anyway, whatever. That’s the difference, Holliday can afford consistent playing time now.  Stowers and Cowser couldn’t last year. 

Has Mateo or anyone else on this team other than Chris Davis ever looked as bad as Holliday over a similar stretch?

12 minutes ago, Pickles said:

They didn't strike out 50% of their at bats and look bad in the field simultaneously.

No it’s not.  Playing poorly is playing poorly.  Agree that there are levels of it but the talent is the talent and going overboard because of a few bad weeks is stupid. Nothing makes sports fans look dumber than doubting elite talent because of a small sample size and people look really dumb right now.

The mistake people make is thinking development doesn’t happen in the majors.  It’s another ridiculous asinine thing about fans.

Holliday has dominated the minors. He has nothing left there to prove and a few awful weeks doesn’t change that. Everyone talks about how confident he is. How his attitude is fine. That’s enough. 

But no, the armchair psychologists come out and think they know how he’s thinking or how this will phase them.  Meanwhile, those same fans blow Elias every chance they get yet Elias is saying he’s fine, he’s got the right attitude, etc…so, you either trust the guy you go to sleep every night looking at because his poster is on your ceiling or you don’t.

Until he starts doubting himself, proves to be uncoachable or anything like that, you keep him here and you let him work through things.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I agree he has bad at the plate but he hasn’t been awful in the field. He is 97th percentile and 3 OAA in the field. 

Just now, baltfan said:

I agree he has bad at the plate but he hasn’t been awful in the field. He is 97th percentile and 3 OAA in the field. 

That doesn't match the eye test of anybody who has watched him.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No it’s not.  Playing poorly is playing poorly.  Agree that there are levels of it but the talent is the talent and going overboard because of a few bad weeks is stupid. Nothing makes sports fans look dumber than doubting elite talent because of a small sample size and people look really dumb right now.

The mistake people make is thinking development doesn’t happen in the majors.  It’s another ridiculous asinine thing about fans.

Holliday has dominated the minors. He has nothing left there to prove and a few awful weeks doesn’t change that. Everyone talks about how confident he is. How his attitude is fine. That’s enough. 

But no, the armchair psychologists come out and think they know how he’s thinking or how this will phase them.  Meanwhile, those same fans blow Elias every chance they get yet Elias is saying he’s fine, he’s got the right attitude, etc…so, you either trust the guy you go to sleep every night looking at because his poster is on your ceiling or you don’t.

Until he starts doubting himself, proves to be uncoachable or anything like that, you keep him here and you let him work through things.

Well is playing poorly playing poorly or are there levels to it?

Because Gunnar struggled in ways none of the others did, and you can include Cowser on that list.