Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Let's hold back that proclamation until 2029.

I should preface, this early in his career. He’s just following the standard Oriole rookie model of struggle upon first call up then come back later and crush it.

• Upvote 1

He struck out 18 of 34 at bats.   His fielding was shaky.  He needed to be sent down.

I would have loved to see him come up and pull a Machado....but he honestly looks like a 16 year old HS player playing in the majors.

Would like to see him go down and work on that high step he takes before each swing.   It really screws up his timing when facing elite pitching imo.   Also could probably fill out and mature a little.  Not so much mentally but physically. 

7 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

He struck out 18 of 34 at bats.   His fielding was shaky.  He needed to be sent down.

I would have loved to see him come up and pull a Machado....but he honestly looks like a 16 year old HS player playing in the majors.

Would like to see him go down and work on that high step he takes before each swing.   It really screws up his timing when facing elite pitching imo.   Also could probably fill out and mature a little.  Not so much mentally but physically. 

• Upvote 1

I'm sympathetic to the notion that Jackson's leg kick could be contributing to his dreadful start, but it's identical to his father's which suggests that he's been doing it for a very long time.  It was also part of his success all throughout the minors, so perhaps fiddling with it shouldn't be done lightly.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, 24fps said:

I'm sympathetic to the notion that Jackson's leg kick could be contributing to his dreadful start, but it's identical to his father's which suggests that he's been doing it for a very long time.  It was also part of his success all throughout the minors, so perhaps fiddling with it shouldn't be done lightly.

Jackson has the leg up much longer. If you watch just the first hit of the video above, his foot is down in plenty of time.

I see he went 0 for 4 last night with 1 strikeout and one fly ball that was hit pretty well with Norfolk.   Probably going to take him a few games to get going again.   I think he is something like 2 for his last 38 with 19 strikeouts during that time.  I can't imagine he has ever been in a slump quite like this before.

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

21 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I see he went 0 for 4 last night with 1 strikeout and one fly ball that was hit pretty well with Norfolk.   Probably going to take him a few games to get going again.   I think he is something like 2 for his last 38 with 19 strikeouts during that time.  I can't imagine he has ever been in a slump quite like this before.

My hope is it takes a little longer to get going because they are having him make adjustments.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, baltfan said:

My hope is it takes a little longer to get going because they are having him make adjustments.  

Agree.  That would be ideal.  Especially the leg kick.  I looked for video from last night and couldn't find anything.

24 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Where’d the rampant leg kick speculation come from? Wouldn’t be the first player to have a leg kick, won’t be the last. 

Ben said something on the MASN broadcast that the high leg kick could be impacting his timing. 

I don't think it's something that needs to be completely removed but to me it his swing looks similar to Bryce Harper.  Harper does have a high leg kick and has been tweaking his stance for years. 

If you see below - high leg kick remains but he made other adjustments.

harper.gif

harper2.gif

^ More upright, quicker load transfer, etc.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Where’d the rampant leg kick speculation come from? Wouldn’t be the first player to have a leg kick, won’t be the last. 

If (doing something slightly different) then (clearly this is why is MLB career is off the rails and it must be fixed and clearly the Orioles professional coaches and scouts totally missed it for the past several years and AAA pitchers are helpless to exploit this glaring flaw).

• Upvote 4