Sandanter Post 2024

Close to a zero percent chance he gets an extension, and not a much better chance he is resigned in the offseason IMO.  I think it's 50/50 if they trade him or let him walk,  much depends on the situation at the time,  like how he's performing, how his replacements are performing, where we are on the playoff hunt, etc.  I like Santander, but with all the possible RF/1st players knocking on the door (Mayo, Kjerstad) I doubt they view Santander as a long term need. 

He walks.

Can he hold his own with the glove relative to Cowser?

If Cowser is the chosen one to chase for the Club the same prize Gunnar won, RF boosts the overall value, and the DH penalty applies to all.

135-121-120-100 are Santander's four best OPS+ years - only the top one gets the Qualifying Offer into play.

Doubtful he gets a QO, probably just walks after this year. Maybe traded at the deadline if the prospects behind him are outperforming him but even then that is a hard decision to make assuming that the team is playing well overall.

23 minutes ago, oriole said:

Doubtful he gets a QO, probably just walks after this year. Maybe traded at the deadline if the prospects behind him are outperforming him but even then that is a hard decision to make assuming that the team is playing well overall.

If he has a season similar to last year or better, I think you have to give him a QO

I think the Os should keep him for all of 2024. You need that 30-homer type veteran in the postseason. Santander has played on some big stages and will be an asset.

After this year? He probably walks and signs a decent 3 year deal somewhere. 

Most likely he just plays the year and leaves in FA. 

I think a QO is unlikely but has a chance to be on the table depending on his performance and the performance/health/trade status of the AAA prospect bunch. 

I know many here believe that he is easily replaceable. But you just don’t find many 30 home run, switch hitting, MOO bats around.

Also, how could one reasonably choose the extension/resign option when we have NEVER seen this front office do that before? That would be unprecedented for this administration.

16 minutes ago, Philip said:

He leaves. Would YOU want him back, given his declining defense and the plethora of outfield guys we have waiting for ABs?

Agree.  I don't he's going to age very well after 30.  Not that he was ever fast, but his speed has declined quite a bit over the years.  He'll probably settle into a JD Martinez type player for a middle of the pack franchise.

42 minutes ago, yark14 said:

Agree.  I don't he's going to age very well after 30.  Not that he was ever fast, but his speed has declined quite a bit over the years.  He'll probably settle into a JD Martinez type player for a middle of the pack franchise.

No disrespect to Santander, but JD Martinez has been a far better hitter in his career than Santander.