Orioles Sign INF/OF Tony Kemp

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

So you don't think it's a service time issue?

Anyone in baseball can tell you service time is a big factor. That doesn't mean 2 things aren't true at the same time. Holliday only played 18 games at the AAA level last season. That's not many at all compared to a guy like Westburg, Cowser, or even Gunnar. (Gunnar had 65 AAA games). Let alone, Connor Norby.

All that said, I'm bewildered by this signing but I can't say I know enough about the player to comment on it. I think our Baseball Operations people have earned the benefit of the doubt in these types of things. So I trust they know what they're doing and might have information behind the scenes that fans do not know about.

MS Copilot had this to say about Kemp. Its pretty informative:

Tony Kemp, a versatile infielder/outfielder, has recently signed a one-year, $1 million deal with the Baltimore Orioles. The 32-year-old Kemp had been in spring training with the Cincinnati Reds, where he impressed with a slash line of .333/.391/.619. However, he had an opt-out clause if he didn’t make the Reds’ roster.

Kemp spent the previous four seasons with the Oakland Athletics, where he showcased a career slash line of .240/.330/.345. His last season with the A’s was challenging, as he slashed just .209/.303/.304. Despite that, Kemp has consistently contributed with double-digit stolen bases, totaling 53 in his career.

As a left-handed hitter, Kemp will provide an interesting option for the Orioles. He’ll likely serve as a left-handed bat off the bench and play a role similar to what Jorge Mateo will be playing. Although Kemp has only played two games at shortstop, it seems unlikely that he’ll fill in there.

With Kemp joining the Orioles, Tyler Nevin becomes the odd man out after an impressive showing in spring training. Both Kemp and Nevin are out of minor league options. To make room for Kemp on the 40-man roster, the Orioles designated utility man Nick Maton for assignment. Maton was hitless in 17 games played this spring for Baltimore.

Welcome to Birdland, Tony Kemp! We wish you the best during your time with the team! 🦉🔶⚾

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Just Regular said:

He's even more Adam Frazier than Adam Frazier at the bat to ball, 2nd to Luis Arraez, at the lowest K% last season

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/major-league?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&type=8&season=2023&month=0&season1=2023&ind=0&qual=400&sortcol=9&sortdir=asc&pagenum=1

I do believe the Sigbot thinks contact is undervalued, and weak bat ping pong artists like Frazier hold up better against tougher pitching.

Between 2016 and 2017, the Astros turned over a lot of the offense, bringing in Nori Aoki foremost among "just don't strike out" types.    The 2017 Astros getting their first title, there were all kinds of graphics that fall how they had gone just about worst to first at K% by Bats.

Here are the AL Team results in split seasons 2016 - present.    HOU has stuck near the top since 2017 - all 7 iterations of the 2017-2023 Astros are in the Top 20.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/major-league?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=al&type=8&month=0&ind=1&qual=400&sortcol=10&sortdir=asc&team=0%2Cts&startdate=&enddate=&season1=2016&season=2023&pagenum=1&pageitems=200

The 2023 Orioles crept into the top half of results, and I believe we'll be climbing that list in the years to come.

Correct.  They aren't looking at historical numbers.  They are looking at real time current bat paths & the adaptability + strength of those bat paths and they are forecasting how those current bat paths play against Stuff+ they are likely to face.  Putting the ball in play is one of the new market inefficiencies.  

• Upvote 1

I just don't see the role for him. Westburg and Urias should start against RHP and LHP. He should not punch hit for any of our starters. Mateo can cover any position to give guys rest. He can play defense in blowouts but anyone can do that. Really hope we don't have any games coming down to Kemp off the bench vs their closer!

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think that if it isn't service time related you risk bringing him up to try and secure the pick.

I don't think anyone really thinks his psyche will be damaged if he struggles.

My reading of what Elias has said is that (1) he wants Hyde to put out a lineup geared to win each game depending on whether the opponent uses LHP or RHP, (2) that lineup currently wouldn’t include Holliday vs. LHP, or might necessitate yanking Holliday against LH RP late in close games, and (3) he’d rather have Holliday in AAA facing LHP regularly and learning the nuances of 2B while he’s at it.   

Now, you can either take that at face value or you can believe it’s a BS excuse in order to deny Holliday a full year or service time.  Or, maybe it’s mostly true but the service time issue influenced their judgment a bit.  I think the way in which Holliday is handled now will tell us a lot.  

But personally, I’m kind of done with the topic.  I just want to watch my team win.  

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

My reading of what Elias has said is that (1) he wants Hyde to put out a lineup geared to win each game depending on whether the opponent uses LHP or RHP, (2) that lineup currently wouldn’t include Holliday vs. LHP, or might necessitate yanking Holliday against LH RP late in close games, and (3) he’d rather have Holliday in AAA facing LHP regularly and learning the nuances of 2B while he’s at it.   

Now, you can either take that at face value or you can believe it’s a BS excuse in order to deny Holliday a full year or service time.  Or, maybe it’s mostly true but the service time issue influenced their judgment a bit.  I think the way in which Holliday is handled now will tell us a lot.  

But personally, I’m kind of done with the topic.  I just want to watch my team win.  

They said that Gunnar struggled vs lefties because you don’t face many quality lefties in the minors.

You can’t then turn around and say, we are sending down Holliday so that he faces quality left handers.

Its just a lie. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

They said that Gunnar struggled vs lefties because you don’t face many quality lefties in the minors.

You can’t then turn around and say, we are sending down Holliday so that he faces quality left handers.

Its just a lie. 

Elias said Holliday hasn’t even faced many AAA quality LHP.   And 9 K’s in 15 PA vs. LHP this spring isn’t a lie.  

Edited by Frobby

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Elias said Holliday hasn’t even faced many AAA quality LHP.   And 9 K’s in 15 PA vs. LHP in AAA isn’t a lie.  

But he’s not going to face them anyway!  That’s the whole damn point. They said it themselves. Those are their own words.

If you send him down for 1-2 months, how many at bats is he getting vs lefties and how many of them are good lefties?

It’s a garbage excuse especially after saying what they did about Gunnar.

Its 1000% about service time. 

27 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Elias has already established himself as a GM-speak guy. I would not take anything he says at face value. I will give him credit for turning the franchise around and assume that he has a good reason, whatever it is.

• Upvote 1

Evan Carter said you can't learn to hit good LHP in the minors because all the good LHP are in MLB.

Maybe John Means and Jackson Holliday just team up for a lot of live BP.    Aw shucks, that might help make it seem easy for Means when he gets back to actual MLB and gets to face some individuals like Tony Kemp.