Corbin Burnes 2024

Spy Fox

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

No excuses!

I know you're easily excited, but get real.  He's not going 120+.

100 is like 120 tho…. Haha. We see a different Burnes today. If only for what he saw Aaron Nola get. $$$$

Also, I don’t see Burnes wanting to hand this ball to Hyde for any reliever in our pen. I think we see OD Burnes with the big time Velo on the cutter. 

Edited by sportsfan8703
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Today is the day that we find out whether Burnes was worth the trade. Yes, he's had a very good year overall despite the 5 week time period where he did not pitch all that well, but he was acquired to be the TOR for the playoffs. 

He will set the tone for the playoffs by how he pitches today. A win today takes the pressure off the Orioles after their sweep last year and makes them a very dangerous team.

it’s really kind of crazy to trade two good young players with 6 years of team control for a guy you hope will pitch well in a couple of playoff series at the end of the year, but that’s baseball.   Good luck to Burnes today.  In his two past playoff starts, he had one great outing (6 shutout innings) and one poor outing (4 innings, 4 earned runs, 3 homers).   Russian roulette!

Burnes saw KC twice this year and was just so-so (5.2 IP 2ER, 5.2 IP 3 ER).  The O’s won both games.  

Edited by Frobby

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

it’s really kind of crazy to trade two good young players with 6 years of team control for a guy you hope will pitch well in a couple of playoff series at the end of the year, but that’s baseball.   Good luck to Burnes today.  In his two past playoff starts, he had one great outing (6 shutout innings) and one poor outing (4 innings, 4 earned runs, 3 homers).   Russian roulette!

Burnes saw KC twice this year and was just so-so (5.2 IP 2ER, 5.2 IP 3 ER).  The O’s won both games.  

The O/U on Burnes outs recorded today is 17.5. I toook the over. 

16 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

100 is like 120 tho…. Haha. We see a different Burnes today. If only for what he saw Aaron Nola get. $$$$

Also, I don’t see Burnes wanting to hand this ball to Hyde for any reliever in our pen. I think we see OD Burnes with the big time Velo on the cutter. 

It has been said on here that the decreased K/9 rate is by design.  I think Burnes said that himself earlier this year.

I don't know if I completely believe that.  I don't think many pitchers in 2024 are making a conscious effort to dial back strikeouts. 

That said, I'd like to see big time swing and miss stuff here today.  Like you said, big time velo on the cutter, lots of swings and misses and more than a K per inning.

49 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Don't agree about 120 pitches or 9 innings, because Burnes and the team both know this is the first of many starts if things go well. 

But, this is a lineup that he should carve up, and he's been dealing recently. I expect a strong start and him to outpitch Ragans. 

I think they can be pretty aggressive though, knowing the next round's Game 2 isn't until Monday night if he helps us there.

Burnes on a good enough day I think I would trust more than whatever we can muster in the 7th inning.

Burnes named AL Pitcher of the Month for September.

He is also lined up for games 2 and 5 of the ALDS against the Yankees. Both games would be at Yankee Stadium. Has a chance to make himself an Orioles legend this October in only one season with the club.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Frobby said:

If Burnes is so-so and the Orioles win, no one will care. Let's hope he's nails today. We need a TOR start as they are throwing their TOR at us. In a 3-game series, that first game is monumental and we know the Orioles are not exactly know for playing well under pressure so they can't get down 0-1. 

This is exciting and nerve wracking at the same time! :D 

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

If Burnes is so-so and the Orioles win, no one will care. Let's hope he's nails today. We need a TOR start as they are throwing their TOR at us. In a 3-game series, that first game is monumental and we know the Orioles are not exactly know for playing well under pressure so they can't get down 0-1. 

This is exciting and nerve wracking at the same time! :D 

This is the third year of this playoff format. Of the 8 series in the first two years, 7 of them were two game sweeps and only one went to a third game.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Joey Ortiz beat Adley Rutschman in fWAR this season, hopefully starting a good vibe of Elias getting what he paid for.