Ryan Mountcastle 2024

4 minutes ago, casadeozo said:

Yup his at bats are often painful but they are magnified in the playoffs. 

At 28 years old to start the season next year, this is the player he is. I think Elias kept him and didn’t make any kind of upgrade expecting a break out year of some kind. It seems that’s just not going to happen. 

I think he kept him because the value/cost was acceptable even without a break out year.

That might still be the case in 2025.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think he kept him because the value/cost was acceptable even without a break out year.

That might still be the case in 2025.

At some point it has to be about more than finding good value. We need to find players we can trust to have good ABs. Mountcastle is definitely not that guy. We have to start clearing out some of this dead weight. 

2 minutes ago, waroriole said:

At some point it has to be about more than finding good value. We need to find players we can trust to have good ABs. Mountcastle is definitely not that guy. We have to start clearing out some of this dead weight. 

It's always going to be about value.  Do you expend resources to replace Mountcastle or do you spend them somewhere else?

You have a finate amount of resources to spend.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's always going to be about value.  Do you expend resources to replace Mountcastle or do you spend them somewhere else?

You have a finate amount of resources to spend.

In that case the question could be do we pay Mountcastle 6-7M or do we pay a AAAA guy league minimum and use his money on RP. The purpose of keeping Mountcastle was the hope he would eventually break out and have a career year. He’s regressing offensively and the odds of that breakout are shrinking. 

I think Mountcastle is the foremost person hurt by Walltimore. I honestly think we need to reconsider what type of right handed batters we throw out there. More Luis Arraez or someone with high OBP.

I could see Mountcastle having a revival somewhere else. But not sure it’s really working here anymore, even though he was solid last year. 

8 minutes ago, waroriole said:

In that case the question could be do we pay Mountcastle 6-7M or do we pay a AAAA guy league minimum and use his money on RP. The purpose of keeping Mountcastle was the hope he would eventually break out and have a career year. He’s regressing offensively and the odds of that breakout are shrinking. 

His OPS+ was a point lower than his career average.  He did what he was expected to do.  I don't think he was kept in the hope of a breakout.