Jordan Westburg 2024

interloper

1 hour ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Current projection for the season is .301 batting average with 26 HRs and 111 RBI. 34 doubles and 9 triples. Those are basically Alex Bregman-ish numbers. 

Another big time prospect hit by Elias and company in a 6 pick draft that included Heston and Mayo. The year before saw Henderson, the second pick after Rush. Were lucky too have these guys.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I mentioned it in the game thread that Westburg reminds my of Ryne Sandberg. Both big 2B that can hit for power and have speed. Sandberg is obviously better being a hall of fame player, but Westburg has been very impressive this season.

Yes, that is a much better comparison in terms of similarities in skillsets. I too see much more Sandberg than I do Hardy. 

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

Hardy is and was a fantastic athlete.  I don’t think I’d say Westburg is better.  But he’s a better hitter, and faster.  

Hardy had excellent hands and had all of the requisite skills in terms of foot quickness and the "athletic" movements that you need to be a very good defender at SS. However, he was a very slow runner on the Orioles (I can't speak to what he was on the Brewers because I don't recall watching him much when he was there).

On the base paths or if they were to race, I would bet Westburg would win by a good/safe margin.

And yes Westburg so far, has shown himself to be a much better hitter because he can use all fields. I love his approach as he competes every AB and rarely gives away ABs. He is what has classically been referred to as "a tough out". JJ Hardy was a straight pull hitter/power hitter and rarely hit the ball to the right side of second base. Most of his hits and especially mostly all of his power was to left field. He really struggled with pitches that were away from him (outside corner/outer part of the plate).

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

Yes, that is a much better comparison in terms of similarities in skillsets. I too see much more Sandberg than I do Hardy. 

He seems like a more athletic JJ Hardy, but we didn’t get to see Hardy early in his career. Westburg’s OPS is at .885. He’s a 1/4 through the season all star. 

53 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He seems like a more athletic JJ Hardy, but we didn’t get to see Hardy early in his career. Westburg’s OPS is at .885. He’s a 1/4 through the season all star. 

I think I was the first one to make a Hardy comp several weeks ago on April 10 in this thread.  And to quote what I said:

”He has a JJ Hardy vibe.  Not exactly the same player, but same kind of guy.”

I stand by that 100%.  It’s mostly about his demeanor and the way he carries himself than it is his skill set.  

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think I was the first one to make a Hardy comp several weeks ago on April 10 in this thread.  And to quote what I said:

”He has a JJ Hardy vibe.  Not exactly the same player, but same kind of guy.”

I stand by that 100%.  It’s mostly about his demeanor and the way he carries himself than it is his skill set.  

Sorry, folks were comparing him to Hardy as soon as he came up last year. I prefer the Grich comp but I'm fine with him just being Jordan Westburg. Among other things, I like that 3 of his 6 homers have been to right field. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He reminds me more of Ryan Sandburg in terms of the style/type of player that he is.

When you say “we didn’t get to see Hardy early in his career” are you saying that because he wasn’t an Oriole? Because they still televised the games that he played in for Milwaukee.

When I compared Hardy and Westburg I see completely different offensive players. I don’t really see many similarities at all in terms approach at the plate.

9 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Sorry, folks were comparing him to Hardy as soon as he came up last year. I prefer the Grich comp but I'm fine with him just being Jordan Westburg. Among other things, I like that 3 of his 6 homers have been to right field. 

I did a search, and you’re right.  I stand corrected.  I still say it’s more about his “vibe” than his skill set.  I like the Grich comp too.