The official “We need starting pitching” thread:

DocJJ

8 hours ago, Hallas said:

I can't believe both Montgomery and Snell signed 1 year deals and we were barely mentioned with either one to be honest.

Our bullpen would look a lot better with Wells in it.  He can throw 95 in the pen, he tops out at 93 as a starter.

I don't want to give the O's too much flack because the Burnes pickup was the biggest move of any team last offseason.  But man, it really feels like we overestimated how far along Means and Bradish would be.

Huh?  Means is right on schedule and Bradish is way ahead of where most posters thought he would be.

10 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We should’ve kept Gibson. 

LOL.  I’m sure you wouldn’t be panicking if he had the same 1-2 6.16 ERA that he currently has with the Cardinals.  Too much.

10 hours ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I keep saying this over and over and over.  I said it last year in the contreversial "we will not win the WS" thread.

What is it about players like Urias and Mateo and Hays and even Mullins that makes you think they can help lead a team to a World Championship?

Seriously.  They are just guys.  In no way shape or form can you win it all with them.  So if you can't?  I would rather take my chances with the young guys with more potential who have a way higher ceiling. 

I disagree with your assessment of Mullins. But the rest yeah I get that point. 

I tend to agree with Elias strategy of acclimating one prospect at a time. This level is hard and the adjustment coming from AAA is even harder.

As we are seeing now with Holliday even our most talented guys tend to struggle with acclimating. Cowser and Westburg are hitting their stride the second go round. And Holliday will get there eventually. We don’t need multiply guys trying to figure it out at this level. Just my 2 cents.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Huh?  Means is right on schedule and Bradish is way ahead of where most posters thought he would be.

Means has been right on schedule for like a year it feels like.  I think you can only count on 1 out of the 2.

9 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

I disagree with your assessment of Mullins. But the rest yeah I get that point. 

I tend to agree with Elias strategy of acclimating one prospect at a time. This level is hard and the adjustment coming from AAA is even harder.

As we are seeing now with Holliday even our most talented guys tend to struggle with acclimating. Cowser and Westburg are hitting their stride the second go round. And Holliday will get there eventually. We don’t need multiply guys trying to figure it out at this level. Just my 2 cents.

Not sure how many times this needs to be said, it is true!

21 hours ago, ScGO's said:

So what's the plan Mike?

For this season, the plan is (and should be) to see what Means and Bradish can provide, and then make midseason trades if one or both of them can't pitch effectively and stay healthy this season.  If both of them come back healthy and good, then we are set--Wells and Irvin can go back to the pen, and Kramer is fine as a back-end starter.  

It's not too early for the O's to scout good starters on bad teams for the deadline.  The O's still have plenty of ammunition to make trades.  They could even do a hitting-for-pitching lateral type trade with a team that is in contention, offering someone like Mountcastle or Santander, with Kjerstad or Mayo waiting in the wings to take their place.  

For next season, I hope the plan is for David Rubinstein to loosen the purse strings so that the O's can make a serious bid to re-sign Corbin Burnes and/or to pursue other top free agent starters.  

• Upvote 1

I see alot of posts saying to trade for pitching at the deadline with teams that are out of it. Well, that would assume the Orioles are doing good in the standings and have a solid shot at winning the division. Because right now they aren't playing up to their potential and keep cutting things close... If the games didn't have 9/10 innings their record would be abysmal. 

All this to say we shouldn't assume anything. If the Orioles want to qualify for the playoffs again they are going to have to earn it. There are 29 other Major League teams in baseball competing for a spot.

I would suggest to the team beginning by cleaning up their defense. I've seen too many mental mistakes in the field so far.

In all reality there are probably 4 teams that would trade pitching this early in the season. Washington, Oakland, White Sox, and Colorado. I do not see Washington or White Sox trading there young performers. I’d prefer to trade for Hunter Harvey to shorten the game. I would also call Miami every day about their pitching. Seattle may be enticed to finally move pitching because their lineup has a lot of average hitters.