Anthony Santander 2024

DirtyBird

14 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Trading your switch hitting 126 OPS+ #4 hitter in the midst of a pennant run would be unusual. He might not be critical but if we are trying to win this year you would ideally trade other assets, unless you thought Santander was blocking someone who would be immediately more productive. If we are to trade a DH/OF just to make space, I'd rather trade O'Hearn who hits RHP only and hurts our defense even more than Santander when he plays. 

It would be unusual…but with Kjerstad and Mayo behind him, it’s definitely possible you end up better off..this season.

The way I see it, everyone should be rooting, hoping & praying for a standout walk year.   I'm still holding out hope he goes off, has a career year, and nets us another pick.  

I think HK is the one who gets traded this year and that leaves a hole in RF for next year.  Even if he accepted, I wouldn't be too upset with a 1-year deal.  He likely outperforms all the other potential RF candidates not named Mayo (assuming Mayo gets time this year to take his lumps).  

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It would be unusual…but with Kjerstad and Mayo behind him, it’s definitely possible you end up better off..this season.

If you pay attention to how Elias does business it does not seem possible that Santander could get traded this season.  I hate to say there’s ZERO chance of it happening like some people ( hint,hint) but there’s really no chance.

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think HK is the one guy the O's would be OK including in a trade.  I think Mayo is the guy people will want.  If we are really going to get a huge upgrade, we are going to have to part with one of our big 3.  Of those guys, I think Mayo is the one they'd reluctantly move. 

I could see a scenario where HK & Mayo aren't on the roster at the end of the season.  In that scenario Santander in RF on a one year deal next year wouldn't be awful.  

If Elias can upgrade the team in a very meaningful way and not trade one of our big 3, I'll be very pleasantly surprised.  I don't know if a HK + Povich + third tertiary piece is enough to get us what we want/need.  

2 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I think HK is the one guy the O's would be OK including in a trade.  I think Mayo is the guy people will want.  If we are really going to get a huge upgrade, we are going to have to part with one of our big 3.  Of those guys, I think Mayo is the one they'd reluctantly move. 

I could see a scenario where HK & Mayo aren't on the roster at the end of the season.  In that scenario Santander in RF on a one year deal next year wouldn't be awful.  

If Elias can upgrade the team in a very meaningful way and not trade one of our big 3, I'll be very pleasantly surprised.  I don't know if a HK + Povich + third tertiary piece is enough to get us what we want/need.  

They aren’t trading Basallo, Holliday or Mayo….and they shouldn’t.

HK should be on the table..I agree but if you could trade Santander instead, would you be better off with that or would it bad to disrupt the team?

Personally I don’t see this bothering the team at all and I say that fully acknowledging Tony as an important clubhouse guy.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

They aren’t trading Basallo, Holliday or Mayo….and they shouldn’t.

HK should be on the table..I agree but if you could trade Santander instead, would you be better off with that or would it bad to disrupt the team?

Personally I don’t see this bothering the team at all and I say that fully acknowledging Tony as an important clubhouse guy.

As conservative as Elias is, I can't see him taking the chance that HK isn't more than 75% of Santander in a year that they're trying to win it all.

2 minutes ago, deward said:

As conservative as Elias is, I can't see him taking the chance that HK isn't more than 75% of Santander in a year that they're trying to win it all.

Yeah. Santander's knowledge/experience of the ML pitchers alone gives him the edge IMO. And the switch-hitting. And much more comfortable/confident defensively. Subtracting him for Kjerstad would be a wild gamble that probably would not pay off. Plus you'd get much more for Kjerstad than Santander in a trade anyway. 

31 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Really? After seeing multiple top level O's prospects struggle mightily in their first few months at the MLB level you still believe that? 

35 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well I disagree with your first part.  I think that’s possible.  Someone who likes the depth of their pen but needs offense could certainly do that.

Has this ever happened before?

9 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Really? After seeing multiple top level O's prospects struggle mightily in their first few months at the MLB level you still believe that? 

Of course..we are seeing plenty of these guys play fine once they settle in.  We are also seeing vet players not performing well either…you know, those guys who you “know what you are going to get”.

If we see a trade involving two contending teams where the trade is Santander for high-leverage reliever, it will be one of rarest, wildest trades we've seen in a long time. The chances of that happening are as close to 0 as it gets. 

29 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Of course..we are seeing plenty of these guys play fine once they settle in.  We are also seeing vet players not performing well either…you know, those guys who you “know what you are going to get”.

I will say that your opinion flies in the face of recent consensus, not that that should surprise anyone, but also goes against how the O's front office has played their hands in recent years. Having said all of that, I wonder when Mayo will get his opportunity. To your point, if not now, when?

1 minute ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

I will say that your opinion flies in the face of recent consensus, not that that should surprise anyone, but also goes against how the O's front office has played their hands in recent years. Having said all of that, I wonder when Mayo will get his opportunity. To your point, if not now, when?

This year the Os are starting Cowser over vets and guys like Stowers and Norby are getting decent playing time.

If Holliday didn’t struggle in a SSS, he would be playing everyday.

In other words, I think the Os are doing exactly what I’m saying and have shown that they trust these young players.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

This year the Os are starting Cowser over vets and guys like Stowers and Norby are getting decent playing time.

If Holliday didn’t struggle in a SSS, he would be playing everyday.

In other words, I think the Os are doing exactly what I’m saying and have shown that they trust these young players.

It's one thing for a vet to lose some playing time to a young player who is playing well. It's another thing to remove the vet from the roster entirely. I think Elias likes having his veteran insurance policies. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/14/2024 at 6:33 AM, DirtyBird said:

I’m tired of seeing this .230 OBP black hole penciled into the heart of the lineup card every game.
He would bat 7th and start about 60% of the games for a legit contender.

Bump.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3