David Rubenstein 2024

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Malike said:

My definition of "big money" is the hundreds of millions of dollars it would take to retain a guy like Gunnar and by "vast majority" I mean the largest part of the board.

I bet if we open a new thread defining "big money" we would have quite a range of acceptable cash required for happy payroll fans.

I think signing Gunnar is something a majority of O's fans here and elsewhere are hoping for, but it still may be the minimum for a lot of people. The original point is solid, it isn't going to take a whole lot for people to change their minds about DR and turn on him and the ownership group if too many of our key players get a away.

I also think a lot of fans are expecting Yankee budgets or worse, Dodger insane big money.

It would be an interesting poll. My guess is a slight Hangout majority of 'big money' numbers would land somewhere in the middle of the MLB pack. 

My expectations are St. Louis Cardinals budget for our Birds (Fangraphs has Baltimore at 97 million estimated 2024, and St. Louis at 181 million 2024). 

Big money for me, is an 84 million dollar bump in payroll over the next several years.

Edited by Orioles West

Just now, Orioles West said:

I bet if we open a new thread defining "big money" we would have quite a range of acceptable cash required for happy payroll fans.

I think signing Gunnar is something a majority of O's fans here and elsewhere are hoping for, but it still may be the minimum for a lot of people. The original point is solid, it isn't going to take a whole lot for people to change their minds about DR and turn on him and the ownership group if too many of our key players get a away.

I also think a lot of fans are expecting Yankee budgets or worse, Dodger insane big money.

It would be an interesting poll. My guess is a slight Hangout majority of 'big money' numbers would land somewhere in the middle of the MLB pack. 

My expectations are St. Louis Cardinals budget for our Birds (Fangraphs has Baltimore at 97 million estimated 2024, and St. Louis at 181 million 2023). 

Big money for me, is an 84 million dollar bump in payroll over the next several years.

By big money I mean in player contracts, not necessarily the team payroll. Will they invest 400M plus for Henderson? I highly doubt it. That is what I'm referencing when I say paying big money.  I think the payroll will be respectable, but probably different faces than we're used to seeing.

10 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I left him off the list because of personal bias. I always though Albert Belle was over rated, and at the point in time when Angelos signed him, I thought it was pretty clear that his career was on a downward trajectory from age.  Essentially, I thought it was a big waste of money and from that personal bias, I didn't feel it was worth listing because it has Ubaldo Jimenez and Chris Davis contract type of mistake vibes.

His career was on a downward trajectory? in 1998 he had 48 doubles, 48 HRs, 152 RBIs and a 1055 OPS 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Malike said:

By big money I mean in player contracts, not necessarily the team payroll. Will they invest 400M plus for Henderson? I highly doubt it. That is what I'm referencing when I say paying big money.  I think the payroll will be respectable, but probably different faces than we're used to seeing.

Until an extension gets made, I have no idea if DR would extend Gunner or any of our talented players beyond their control contract years. I hope he keeps a couple of them, but I'm not even sure the Elias-Sig strategy would suggest a massive contract or two. Maybe Elias has more choices now.  

Keeping Gunnar -- yeah, that's definitely big money.

12 hours ago, Gurgi said:

Not if we win.  I am pretty confident he will spend at least the middle level of baseball payrolls.  And we can compete at that level if we are well run.

The Orioles currently spend(payroll) about a third what the Dodgers spend...that will have to change to keep many of these players...but thats still, in many cases, a few years off...

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Glad to see Mr. Rubenstein excited.  I hope this excitement will pay off in some action in locking up some of the Young Birds long term.  Obviously as the owner, no one sets the time table but him.  Nice that he thinking of himself as a fan as much as an invester, although I'm sure he never loses sight of the investment aspect.  I don't expect him do any "Cohen" type things.

2 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Glad to see Mr. Rubenstein excited.  I hope this excitement will pay off in some action in locking up some of the Young Birds long term.  Obviously as the owner, no one sets the time table but him.  Nice that he thinking of himself as a fan as much as an invester, although I'm sure he never loses sight of the investment aspect.  I don't expect him do any "Cohen" type things.

He shouldn’t have to do any Cohen like things. All the talent is already in this organization and they need to navigate contracts to their best ability. I only see free agency for getting 1-2 players to support this star core.

6 hours ago, Orioles West said:

My expectations are St. Louis Cardinals budget for our Birds (Fangraphs has Baltimore at 97 million estimated 2024, and St. Louis at 181 million 2024). 

STL Cards payroll is what I expect. Of course it would be great to sign Gunnar. But Boras is going to be a big barrier to that (and to Holliday when it is time). However, Adley and Westburg are not represented by Boras, so they may be more amenable to an extension.

Every competent MLB organization extends young stars (including the low budget teams). We should not be low budget under Rubenstein, especially not with a team this good.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

The Orioles were in a MUCH better position organizationally at Rubenstein's arrival than the Mets were when Cohen showed up. The Orioles have almost an unprecedented level of young talent right now.

43 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

The Orioles were in a MUCH better position organizationally at Rubenstein's arrival than the Mets were when Cohen showed up. The Orioles have almost an unprecedented level of young talent right now.

Has there ever been a better situation for new ownership to step in to? 

The outgoing regime is universally hated, and the club on the field is already championship-caliber with a top farm system to-boot... And the ink has barely dried on a lease extension committing hundreds of millions to a stadium modernization project from the state.

Live it up, Mr. Rubensplash. It doesn't get any better... Unless it does

6 minutes ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

Has there ever been a better situation for new ownership to step in to? 

The outgoing regime is universally hated, and the club on the field is already championship-caliber with a top farm system to-boot... And the ink has barely dried on a lease extension committing hundreds of millions to a stadium modernization project from the state.

Live it up, Mr. Rubensplash. It doesn't get any better... Unless it does

The timing couldn’t have worked out better for Rubenstein. If he extends a few young players and if we win a championship or two, they will build a statue in his honor.

2 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

The timing couldn’t have worked out better for Rubenstein. If he extends a few young players and if we win a championship or two, they will build a statue in his honor.

Only if he goes into the Hall with an Orioles hat.

18 hours ago, Jagwar said:

His career was on a downward trajectory? in 1998 he had 48 doubles, 48 HRs, 152 RBIs and a 1055 OPS 

And played in 163 games. I get that he was often a surly character and that he continued to have a few interactions with fans that didn't fit into the Brooks or Cal mode of demeanor. But as a few writers have suggested, Belle, still in his prime at the age of 32, was on the track to a Hall of Fame career. It was not a foolish signing for a recently contending team that no longer had Raffy, Roberto Alomar, Eric Davis, and Chris Hoiles in the lineup.