The A's Series

Just Regular

27 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You hoped for more than 16-8?  I will gladly take that every time, even with a supposedly soft schedule (which in hindsight doesn’t look that soft).  

Yeah a 108-win pace is pretty meh. 

51 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I was rooting for the local guy in Gelof, but hopefully he comes back healthy later down the line. 

16-8 to start the season out hasn't been too shabby, but I had kinda hoped for a little more in the early going. They definitely should take 2 out of 3 vs an inferior opponent like Oakland.

What were you hoping for 17-7? I guess we could have won that finale of the series against the Pirates.

I’m sure you know this already but 16-8 is exactly averaging taking 2 out of every 3.

We are getting the top 3 of Oakland’s rotation.  We haven’t seen Stripling or Blackburn since 2022.  Somehow, Sears has started 4 games against us the last two years, and we hit him pretty hard last year.  

Their offense is quite anemic at 2.84 runs per game.   Odds are their pitchers will really need to shut us down to beat us.  But their bullpen is certainly capable of shutting down an opponent, with a collective 3.15 ERA.  

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, interloper said:

Yeah a 108-win pace is pretty meh. 

I was referring to stacking maybe a couple of extra wins against what had been perceived as the easy part of the schedule. I get your "meh", but pace really doesn't mean as much just yet. Let's see how things go over this next stretch vs teams like NY, Arizona and Seattle...not that it means the season is on the line or anything, but they're moreso the type of teams that will still be relevant in August and September.

What I said wasn't meant as a complaint. I'm pretty sure that I wasn't alone in being surprised at how well Milwaukee and Pittsburgh played.

55 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You hoped for more than 16-8?  I will gladly take that every time, even with a supposedly soft schedule (which in hindsight doesn’t look that soft).  

Anything less than 162-0 is unacceptable.

5 hours ago, Moshagge3 said:

It's hard to take a lineup seriously when Tyler Nevin is one of the better hitters in it, but their pitching is legitimate and the back end of their bullpen is scary. 

Nevin went deep against Nestor Cortez tonight. He’s primed for a big weekend!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I expect to win against the Orioles to win against any and all opponents. We have the better team against anyone and our rotation is not chopped liver. Reds have some good young starting pitching no doubt. But their lineup leaves a lot to be desired.
    • Yeah, not my favorite lineup as Santander is too high based on his performance at this time. don't like McKenna starting, especially at the same time as Urias in also in the lineup.  Just too many holes in this lineup that way, not that Mullins has been tearing it up, but I trust him more than McKenna for sure, even with a lefty out there.   But like last time when I said such a thing, watch us score 8-9 runs.  🙂   
    • Mullins has been struggling and there is a lefty on the mound today.
    • Oh sure, I'm very confident in Elias picking this low as I feel they do a good job of identifying what they like,  and it doesn't have to be just the top guys.  I won't be surprised at all if whomever they take ends up being better than expected for the slot they are picked in the end.   But it's just harder for me to keep up as the guy they draft is very unlikely to be someone I know much about.   When we are picking top 2-5 you really only needed to study 4 to 7 guys or so to be fairly certain you knew about who our guy would be.   Now there are probably 30ish guys who COULD go at number 22.  The top 10 will likely be gone and the guys after #40 or so won't be likely, but anyone in the 11 to 40ish range could be the pick of some fall or rise on our boards.  I'll be watching it closely on draft day,  but until then it's just too speculative to really dive into IMO. I do wonder how much harder it is to prepare for this kind of a draft as an organization.   When you are picking top 5, you can really narrow the focus down on 7-8 guys and really dive in deep to decide your board and who you take if available.  With being in the low 20s, you need to research many,  many more guys but probably not in nearly the depth you did while picking higher. 
    • There was a fair amount. A lot of posts said Burnes was just a replacement for Bradish who was destined for TJS, that we needed to sign Montgomery, and when we didn’t there was quite a bit of frustration. I also wanted Montgomery, but we seem to be doing just fine without him. 
    • It's no secret that Anthony Santander and Cedric Mullins are off to slow starts, one having a batting average of .206 and OPS of .665, the other with BA of .200 and OPS of .668. But if you think the Orioles are the only team with highly-regarded outfielders having their troubles, I give you the Rays and Randy Arozarena. Arozarena has batted twice so far today, striking out with two runners on base each time.  He is batting .138 with an OPS of .484.
  • Popular Contributors