The A's Series

Just Regular

2 minutes ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

They called it a hit for Volpe too 🙄

That was an odd looking play. The ball hit the A's third baseman off the bounce way above where he had put his glove. I thought it must have hit the lip of the IF dirt, but it didn't.

4 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

That was an odd looking play. The ball hit the A's third baseman off the bounce way above where he had put his glove. I thought it must have hit the lip of the IF dirt, but it didn't.

He tried to olé it, he could have squared in front of it. Definitely an odd choice.

Edited by Malike

4 minutes ago, Malike said:

He tried to olé it, he could have squared in front of it. Definitely an odd choice.

I thought he started to try to field it head-on, then turned and switched to semi-matador style when he saw how badly he had misjudged the hop. Anyway, despite the poor defense, I would have been surprised to see it scored as an error.

Very happy about the As splitting with the hated Yanks. I’ve shared this before, but it bears repeating:

”Know what a ‘Yankee’ is?
Same as a ‘Quickie,’ but you’re by yourself!”

Meanwhile, that Miller kid is something! He looks like he’s about 16. The problem is that Oakland probably doesn’t want MLB-ready guys, they’d be wasted for the next three seasons. They want far off prospects, and a lot of them, to compensate for the expected attrition rate. How are our 17-18 yo prospects? Are they advanced enough to buy Mr Miller?

1 hour ago, Malike said:

Of course they did. His OPS was in the .700's couldn't have that. They also missed a clear strike call for a ball on Judge in 3 of his 4 at bats. He still struck out twice, though.

I saw the one in the 9th. Dead smack in the zone and called a ball. Was nice to see him fly out to end it. 

Kyle Bradish adjacent, and discovering more about baseball gift Mason Miller, it turns out he so far is a successful non-surgical recovery from a mild UCL sprain diagnosed last year in May.

He had made four starts early on before the injury.    Game log shows final start was May 7th, and he got back as a reliever September 6th.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Kyle Bradish adjacent, and discovering more about baseball gift Mason Miller, it turns out he so far is a successful non-surgical recovery from a mild UCL sprain diagnosed last year in May.

He had made four starts early on before the injury.    Game log shows final start was May 7th, and he got back as a reliever September 6th.

I was going to post something about this after reading about that on MLBTR this morning. That gives me a lot of hope for Bradish if this kid can come back from a UCL sprain and throw 103. Obviously, reliever vs. starter so who knows. But uplifting to read nonetheless. 

Edited by interloper

1 hour ago, Roy Firestone said:

To me, ANY series with professional major leaguers on it is a "trap series". We tend to play down to the level of our competition. This will be a tough series. Book it.

I think of it as a "trap series" because it would be easy to look past it for the Yankees coming to town on Monday. 

Just now, Jagwar said:

I think of it as a "trap series" because it would be easy to look past it for the Yankees coming to town on Monday. 

I doubt the O’s will look past it, given that Oakland just beat the Yankees 2 out of 4 in the Bronx.   

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I doubt the O’s will look past it, given that Oakland just beat the Yankees 2 out of 4 in the Bronx.   

Hopefully Hyde will strongly remind of that fact.