6th straight game with 2 or fewer runs allowed

11 hours ago, kidrock said:

Great points Ken. Love the depth of the starters this year as well.  Very few implosions.

side note: loved your draft day content.  Very entertaining and informative.  Go birds

Thanks, Kidrock,  Appreciate you!

During my entire time as a fan, I can never recall the Orioles having this problem where they had too many good starters to fit them all in  and my first year as a fan, the Orioles had 4 20-game winners.

6 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Oriole starters haven't walked anyone in the entire series either.

After 1 BB by Kremer today, 18 Ks, 1 BB for the starters vs the Reds.

6 hours ago, Say O! said:

Perhaps. But I think more likely is that go 6 man rotation (with Burnes staying on 5 day rest routine).  It could potentially help manage workloads and injuries for Grayson, Bradish, Means.

I was thinking 6 as well. 

32 minutes ago, Filmstudy said:

Thanks, Kidrock,  Appreciate you!

During my entire time as a fan, I can never recall the Orioles having this problem where they had too many good starters to fit them all in  and my first year as a fan, the Orioles had 4 20-game winners.

Hmmm, interesting, I assumed the O's with all their pitching had too many starters at one point.  I know at one point, the team was so stacked with position players that someone won the Triple Crown at Rochester and went back there the next year. 

5 hours ago, dystopia said:

There was a fair amount. A lot of posts said Burnes was just a replacement for Bradish who was destined for TJS, that we needed to sign Montgomery, and when we didn’t there was quite a bit of frustration. I also wanted Montgomery, but we seem to be doing just fine without him. 

Notwithstanding the very encouraging starts, we still don't -- certainly I don't -- know what to expect from Bradish or Means this season.

6 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Notwithstanding the very encouraging starts, we still don't -- certainly I don't -- know what to expect from Bradish or Means this season.

No but I think we’ll be fine if we need to have Irvin and Suarez in the rotation in the future. 

16 minutes ago, dystopia said:

No but I think we’ll be fine if we need to have Irvin and Suarez in the rotation in the future. 

Plus Wells is coming back and could pitch in the rotation and Povich looks like he could give some starts if needed.  I'm feeling really good about the starting pitching depth, which wasn't something I could have foreseen when both Bradish and Means started the season on the IL for weeks/months(?).

7 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Hyde might need to have an uncomfortable discussion with Kremer that he is being moved to the pen soon.

That conversation just got a little more uncomfortable after Kremer's outing today against the Reds.

22 hours ago, Filmstudy said:

The Orioles had not had such a streak in a single season since 1989, but they had an overlap streak from 1995-96.  It's the 18th such streak in team history.  The other 17 are below.  If you were a fan in 1974, you almost ceratinly remember the 5 straight shutouts amid a 10-game win streak that rocketed the Orioles back into the race vs the Red Sox and Yankees from 8 back on the morning of 8/29/74.  Even if you weren't a fan then, Palmer brings it up all the time.

Awesome research, thanks. I was a fan in 1974 but had forgotten that string of five shutouts. 

This last two weeks of rotation excellence (and your list) is giving me flashbacks to the summer of love (1967), when I started to make game logs to savor the strings of shutouts and low-hit gems by Oriole starters. Looking back now at the game logs kept by Baseball-Reference (manually, without your sorting skills!), it's hard to identify exactly which streak so impressed my teenage fan-meter, or even which year. Certainly 1968 was all about low scoring league-wide. 

Maybe it was the stretch 22-27 May 1967 featuring Phoebus, Bertaina, Barber, McNally, and Phoebus again (good old 4-man rotation!), including three scoreless outings. Or Hardin and Brabender joining Phoebus, McNally and Palmer from 15 to 20 September, 1967.

What about 1969, with Cuellar, Lopez and Leonhard joining the previous cast of McNally, Phoebus, and Hardin, twirling 10 starts (13-22 June) while allowing only 12 runs. 

Anyway, it feels rather historic to see this run of high-end pitching from an Orioles rotation. Here's a chart to recap the numbers on this streak in progress...

Date Starter IP H ER ERA
(14 G) totals: 81.67 59 19 2.09
21-Apr Irvin 6.2 4 0  
22-Apr Suarez 5.2 4 0  
23-Apr Rodriguez 4.1 11 7  
24-Apr Kremer 5.1 3 2  
26-Apr Burnes 6 3 1  
27-Apr Irvin 7 4 0  
28-Apr Suarez 4 7 4  
29-Apr Rodriguez 5.2 5 0  
30-Apr Kremer 7 4 2  
1-May Burnes 6 4 2  
2-May Bradish 4.2 4 1  
3-May Irvin 6.1 2 0  
4-May Means 7 3 0  
5-May Kremer 6 1 0  

3 hours ago, now said:

Awesome research, thanks. I was a fan in 1974 but had forgotten that string of five shutouts. 

This last two weeks of rotation excellence (and your list) is giving me flashbacks to the summer of love (1967), when I started to make game logs to savor the strings of shutouts and low-hit gems by Oriole starters. Looking back now at the game logs kept by Baseball-Reference (manually, without your sorting skills!), it's hard to identify exactly which streak so impressed my teenage fan-meter, or even which year. Certainly 1968 was all about low scoring league-wide. 

Maybe it was the stretch 22-27 May 1967 featuring Phoebus, Bertaina, Barber, McNally, and Phoebus again (good old 4-man rotation!), including three scoreless outings. Or Hardin and Brabender joining Phoebus, McNally and Palmer from 15 to 20 September, 1967.

What about 1969, with Cuellar, Lopez and Leonhard joining the previous cast of McNally, Phoebus, and Hardin, twirling 10 starts (13-22 June) while allowing only 12 runs. 

I didn't see any of Phoebus, Bertania, and Lopez pitch.

Tom Phoebus took his control problems to the NL after the 1970 WS in the Pat Dobson trade and his career was over after 1972.

Frank Bertania had a regular issue 1965 Topps (individual) card and was then featured on an Orioles rookie stars card in 1966 with Dave Johnson and Gene Brabender.  He was done after 1970 and his age 26 season.

Marcelino Lopez had a WHIP of 1.39 but nonetheless had a 2.08 ERA in 1970.  He was dealt after the season and done after 1972 also.  If you bought a pack of 2nd-series Topps cards from 1972, Lopez was the Oriole you did not want to see.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Filmstudy said:

Marcelino Lopez had a WHIP of 1.39 but nonetheless had a 2.08 ERA in 1970.  He was dealt after the season and done after 1972 also.  If you bought a pack of 2nd-series Topps cards from 1972, Lopez was the Oriole you did not want to see.

Make that 1971 Topps.