Could Grayson Be the Solution to Our Bullpen Issue?

10 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

This is something to consider if Grayson struggles as a starter--he's having trouble throwing 3 pitches effectively, or he's not pitch efficient enough to get through more than 5 innings consistently, or hitters are teeing off on him the 2nd or 3rd time through the order.  He does have the high end fastball velocity to be a high end closer. 

But if he can be a top-three starter that's more valuable, even in the short run.  

I definitely agree that Wells and Suarez should be high-leverage late inning relievers this season.  

I am excited about Wells. If he can sit 95, he’s looked really promising in the past. 

47 minutes ago, Chaka Garcia said:

Times x 100. This thread needs to be shutdown. 

There’s no need to shut the thread down. Discussion is good even if you don’t agree with what’s being discussed. 

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Why not ask this question but use Kremer?

Ultimately, I understand why the OP thinks G-Rod would make a better high leverage reliever/closer — but again, I think developing quality 1-3 starters is tougher to do. That said, Wells may already be the answer for moving from the rotation to the pen. 

Kremer isn’t a crazy idea either.

Our BP is, to me, is the least stable part of the roster, if the O’s are hoping to make a run in the fall.

4 minutes ago, Orioles West said:

Ultimately, I understand why the OP thinks G-Rod would make a better high leverage reliever/closer — but again, I think developing quality 1-3 starters is tougher to do. That said, Wells may already be the answer for moving from the rotation to the pen. 

Kremer isn’t a crazy idea either.

Our BP is, to me, is the least stable part of the roster, if the O’s are hoping to make a run in the fall.

The biggest worry with Wells or Kremer in late relief is the gopher balls.

1 hour ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

I agree that the prospect capital is getting to a point where we need to make some trades. And I think this was part of the plan. Trade from the position player glut. I just wouldn’t want to see us turn into the padres or blue jays and squander the talent infusion

There’s definitely a balanced approach that I think ME can pull off. 

I just don't see that as a realistically possible notion/outcome. 

The Padres, Bluejays, White Sox and going a little farther back Braves and Astros have all had highly rated systems. But I don't think that anyone has had anything like this!

We have had the #1 prospect in the sport (3 different players) three years running. We have our least amount of top 100 guys now and it's still at like 4/5. We have Major League ready uber prospects who cannot crack the starting lineup and some of our prospects don't have much hope to. Our 5th/6th guys would be most teams #1 prospect.

I can't see how this can in anyway be "squandered". Unless you mean that we don't win multiple WS. Then I would say that's possible as that requires a bit of good fortune. But we are going to be a great team for several years, no matter what. 

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

"Greedy"? - Should the players demand the wage the market dictates? Are the Orioles/owners "greedy" when they raise ticket prices or their prices for business to advertise with them?

No, to your question, I'm not sure what the team will do with Means. But he has a long way to go (after missing almost 2 full seasons and having a hand full of good starts) to convince them that he should be resigned.

As to resigning Burnes, I don't know about that either. IMO the first priority is Henderson and Rutschman.

What about another team signing Means or Burnes, isn't it a similar situation as the O's for signing needed pitching?  They would have to raise ticket prices too.  Is it worth paying higher ticket prices to have long term winning team?

44 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Why not ask this question but use Kremer?

Worth considering. If he is the odd man out from the rotation I would like to see how Kremer does in relief and maybe work his way into high leverage. Still, Grayson's stuff is more intriguing as a potential lights out closer. 

Just now, Aristotelian said:

Worth considering. If he is the odd man out from the rotation I would like to see how Kremer does in relief and maybe work his way into high leverage. Still, Grayson's stuff is more intriguing as a potential lights out closer. 

Except that he’s probably a top 15 starter in the AL and maybe top 10. Every starter with great stuff could make for a great closer but no team is going to take a top end starter and make them a closer. It’s just not logical.

Now, could you see a situation where Grayson pitches out of the pen in the playoffs, like so many starters have over the years?  Sure. If he goes games 1 and 5 and is needed in game 7, that could happen but that’s about it.

6 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

What about another team signing Means or Burnes, isn't it a similar situation as the O's for signing needed pitching?  They would have to raise ticket prices too.  Is it worth paying higher ticket prices to have long term winning team?

IMO having a World Series caliber team on the field is worth me paying whatever that cost to me as a fan. Of course, I have the benefit of being able to afford that uptick and I recognize that not all people do.

But we have such a ways to go to get to even being an average size payroll.

According to USA Today's numbers for payroll rank (through a simple Google search) the Orioles payroll is at $94,520,400. That is below teams like the Rays, Rockies, Royals, Reds, Twins, and Marlins. And a little over 85 million under the STL Cardinals, who have a payroll of almost 180 million. Why is it that with an owner who has comparable wealth/net worth and a market size that is similar, we couldn't grow into an STL Cardinals payroll?

I agree with most here that I would not take Grayson out of the rotation to become a closer, but I don't think it's as insane as some would lead you to believe. 

Now I can always build scenarios that could make just about anything become plausible, but what if Bradish and Means hold up all season and we're heading into the playoffs with Burnes, Bradish, Means, Grayson and Kremer/Irvin/Povich in the rotation. You really only need 3 starters in most playoff formats until potential game 7.

What if Grayson was long on innings by then and say Kimbrel was toast and the bullpen is missing that dominant guy late in games? 

Now remember, in this scenario, Burnes, Bradish, and Means are all pitching at their top form. Would I then consider Grayson as a closer? 

I don't know, but I would consider the option at some point in this scenario. Would I do it now at this point in the season, no, I would not, but Grayson does have the lights out closer stuff a team would look for, and he could be used for multiple innings if needed.

If the Orioles win a World Series, no one is going care whether he was a starter or a closer at that point.

• Thanks 1

Yeah this definitely makes more sense in a playoff scenario than it does right when Grayson is eligible to come back in a couple weeks or whatever. 

When it comes to playoffs, do whatever you need to do. 

Fangraphs has BAL with the 5th least IP for RP.  And xERA has BAL ranked 3rd. 11th in actual ERA. Maybe a bit unlucky...  much of that without Perez.  Or Wells.

Not saying it's not an area to improve, but also framing the "need" in a broader context.