Kade Strowd 2024

Tony-OH

The quick promotion to AAA already had my attention, but I had no idea about the cutter. Those spin rates on a cutter are insane! No wonder AA hitters couldn’t touch him. 

That’s absolutely the profile of a guy who could be a dominant RP with 70%-90% cutters and an upper 90s fastball as the “change of pace.”  If he can fill up the zone with those two pitches he’s going to be very exciting. 

• Upvote 1

As much as we'll speculate about the Kopechs and Helsleys of the world, much of the game is the Clubs sifting literally thousands of guys like this finding the right way to turn the dials.

Last 12 months, Robert Stephenson's case has been a pretty dramatic one.    Was his labor valuable because of him, or how Tampa's braintrust saw he could excel?

It sounds like Strowd hasn't always been a cutter only guy.    I'd guess the Sigbot is also equipping him with "here are the cliches we'd prefer you tell Roch Kubatko" if or when the time comes.

The more Felix Bautistas you can make, the better...go Orioles coaches!

Here's Strowd tied with Bryan Woo high in the 99th percentile of WHIP among all Minors arms at 10 innings this year.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/minor-league?pos=all&level=0&lg=2,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,14,12,13,15,16,17,18,30,32&stats=pit&qual=10&type=1&team=&season=2024&seasonEnd=2024&org=&ind=0&splitTeam=false&players=&sort=13,-1

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Ok, I'm starting a thread for him because I think he's a guy who has really popped this year. Strowd has always had a good fastball (95-97, t98) with high spin rate breaking balls. 

But he's transformed him self into a guy with a really good cutter. Last night he made his AAA debut which meant we got statcast data on him and here's what we saw.

image.thumb.png.1d8442aa716a5cf4ea64b311cd19d2aa.png

He came in and threw his new cutter 92% of the time throwing his 4 seamer just once. He varied his speed in his cutter from 91.6 to 95.2 and got a 40% whiff rate. 

Keep an eye on him. As I mentioned on my 105.7 stint last Thursday (11:00 this year), Strowd is the one guy I think could end up helping the Orioles in the pen at some point this year. 

He's basically turning himself into Mariano Rivera using the cutter almost exclusively, at least in this first game. Now I'm not saying he is Mariano Rivera, but Rivera is the first guy I think of who survived with a cutter as main/only pitch. 

image.thumb.png.45e80960f8e7a6fb434243ee29c33cb7.png

Last guy I saw in the minor who dominated like this was Felix Bautista, who went from A-ball to the majors in one season when he broke out.

Oooo hell yea. On my radar now, thanks for the write-up!

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Ok, I'm starting a thread for him because I think he's a guy who has really popped this year. Strowd has always had a good fastball (95-97, t98) with high spin rate breaking balls. 

But he's transformed him self into a guy with a really good cutter. Last night he made his AAA debut which meant we got statcast data on him and here's what we saw.

image.thumb.png.1d8442aa716a5cf4ea64b311cd19d2aa.png

He came in and threw his new cutter 92% of the time throwing his 4 seamer just once. He varied his speed in his cutter from 91.6 to 95.2 and got a 40% whiff rate. 

Keep an eye on him. As I mentioned on my 105.7 stint last Thursday (11:00 this year), Strowd is the one guy I think could end up helping the Orioles in the pen at some point this year. 

He's basically turning himself into Mariano Rivera using the cutter almost exclusively, at least in this first game. Now I'm not saying he is Mariano Rivera, but Rivera is the first guy I think of who survived with a cutter as main/only pitch. 

image.thumb.png.45e80960f8e7a6fb434243ee29c33cb7.png

Last guy I saw in the minor who dominated like this was Felix Bautista, who went from A-ball to the majors in one season when he broke out.

Nice.  Burnes is pretty cutter heavy too.  Gotta love when these reliever types just come out of nowhere.  

On 5/8/2024 at 2:36 PM, Tony-OH said:

He threw 12 cutters:

8 had 0-7 inches of Horizontal movement and 23-30 Vertical movement
4 had 12-19 inches of Horizontal movement and 30-33 Vertical movement

Tony, this was in AAA, and AAA uses the major league ball now, right?

If so, whoa!

His Game Log is interesting - they are resting him a lot between turns.     Have to figure that helps the juice the 1-2 innings per week he does pitch, but also seems like the kind of thing you might do if you were confident the pitch metrics would play and want them available at a time of your choosing.

4.21, 4.25, 4.30, 5.3, 5.7, 5.12 the most recent 6 turns.