On MLB just now the host were asking what should Baltimore give up to get Miller from the A's

Gurgi

15 minutes ago, RarityFlaherty said:

Mayo also looks like a much better defensive prospect than Kjerstad. It seems like the O’s still have hope that Mayo can play 3rd, but it doesn’t seem like they want to see Kjerstad anywhere in the field. I would definitely trade Kjerstad for Miller.

Unfortunately, I doubt the A’s would want Kjerstad all that much anyway due to his age. Does a package of Beavers, Baumeister, and a young guy like Sosa or Almeyda get it done? Maybe not, but I’d imagine if the A’s are trading Miller they’d be looking further into the future and would want younger prospects than Kjerstad. I’d also imagine they’d want a pitcher in the trade too. 

Mayo looks like a better defensive prospect than Kjerstad at what position?

Just now, 24fps said:

Who David?  It would scare the sheep.

No, the one that took the head shot from a rock.

What kind of Philistine Champion isn't wearing a helmet?

No way you are getting a kill shot with a river stone against a guy with a helmet on.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

No way you are getting a kill shot with a river stone against a guy with a helmet on.

Hmmm .. must be an off day lol 

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Wasn't he like 10 foot tall?  Maybe they didn't have helmets big enough for his big giant head.  

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

With control like David's, I wouldn't be so sure.  I say sign him and keep Mayo and EBJr. 

This has become a genuinely bizarre thread.

It is too bad our Bats didn't put up a bunch of runs early against Oakland pitching that series so Mason Miller could have been neutralized just like Alexis Diaz last weekend.     The momentary contrast is worsened watching Kimbrel these same two weeks.

Unless Elias really goes nuts unseating guys like Cionel and Kimbrel himself from the roster, he maybe only has 1-2 bullpen roster spots to play with and then you have to carefully scientifically weigh if a dollar spent on Kopech or some other good rental reliever is more wisely invested than on Miller.

13 pitchers boil down to 8 or 9 at the end and with good fortune Burnes, Grayson, Bradish, Cano, Coulombe, Wells and Kimbrel are perhaps already 7 of them.

Then you engineer roles for Kremer, Means or the top AAA guys.

The trade deadline is going to be fun but also tense.      Elias is a data gatherer and Mason Miller is probably going to be traded to the Braves, Dodgers, Rangers or Yankees sooner than the last few hours.

Just now, RZNJ said:

Mayo looks like a better defensive prospect than Kjerstad at what position?

Definitely at 3rd. He has more infield experience, so I’d give him the advantage at 1st. He also has a better arm than Kjerstad, so I’d like to see how he does in RF. Maybe something else is going on, but it just seems like Kjerstad doesn’t have much of a position at all because they are so reluctant to let him play anywhere in the field. With the way we value defense, I don’t really see where Kjerstad fits in here long term. 

1 minute ago, 24fps said:

With control like David's, I wouldn't be so sure.  I say sign him and keep Mayo and EBJr. 

This has become a genuinely bizarre thread.

He was smote in the forehead.  Great control or not what helmet doesn't cover the forehead?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQKd3uoEMgjB8YC37Uw7Xs

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He was smote in the forehead.  Great control or not what helmet doesn't cover the forehead?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQKd3uoEMgjB8YC37Uw7Xs

You know, you have a point.  Let's all hope Elias doesn't get smote in the forehead hard enough to convince him that trading Mayo and EBJr. for Mason Miller is a good idea.

13 minutes ago, RarityFlaherty said:

Definitely at 3rd. He has more infield experience, so I’d give him the advantage at 1st. He also has a better arm than Kjerstad, so I’d like to see how he does in RF. Maybe something else is going on, but it just seems like Kjerstad doesn’t have much of a position at all because they are so reluctant to let him play anywhere in the field. With the way we value defense, I don’t really see where Kjerstad fits in here long term. 

Ok. But the chances of Mayo playing 3B for the Orioles seem less than 50%.  As far as 1B neither look good to me.  As far as RF we know Kjerstad is probably average at best, maybe below average too.  We know Mayo has a great arm but he might be slower than Kjerstad, get worse jumps than Kjerstad, and take worse routes.  We really have no idea.   

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Ok. But the chances of Mayo playing 3B for the Orioles seem less than 50%.  As far as 1B neither look good to me.  As far as RF we know Kjerstad is probably average at best, maybe below average too.  We know Mayo has a great arm but he might be slower than Kjerstad, get worse jumps than Kjerstad, and take worse routes.  We really have no idea.   

Yeah that’s why I’ve said for a while now that I’d like to see more of Mayo in RF. With all of our other infielders, that feels like the spot he’d most likely end up in. Even with that uncertainty though, I’d rather keep Mayo over Kjerstad. We pretty much already know Kjerstad is going to be a below average fielder no matter his position. Mayo still has a chance to stick at 3rd, and there’s also a chance for him to develop into a decent 1B or RF. When you factor in age and his experience at 3rd, Mayo just has a lot more defensive upside to me. 

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

It is too bad our Bats didn't put up a bunch of runs early against Oakland pitching that series so Mason Miller could have been neutralized just like Alexis Diaz last weekend.     The momentary contrast is worsened watching Kimbrel these same two weeks.

Unless Elias really goes nuts unseating guys like Cionel and Kimbrel himself from the roster, he maybe only has 1-2 bullpen roster spots to play with and then you have to carefully scientifically weigh if a dollar spent on Kopech or some other good rental reliever is more wisely invested than on Miller.

13 pitchers boil down to 8 or 9 at the end and with good fortune Burnes, Grayson, Bradish, Cano, Coulombe, Wells and Kimbrel are perhaps already 7 of them.

Then you engineer roles for Kremer, Means or the top AAA guys.

The trade deadline is going to be fun but also tense.      Elias is a data gatherer and Mason Miller is probably going to be traded to the Braves, Dodgers, Rangers or Yankees sooner than the last few hours.

Uh what prospects do the Braves have to outbid the others for Miller? I must be missing something..

Also, why would the Yankees be willing to give up their top prospects who are positional players for a bullpen guy (even as wonderful as Miller) when their bullpen is already too notch? Isn’t offense their concern? 

1 hour ago, RarityFlaherty said:

Some RF, some DH?