On MLB just now the host were asking what should Baltimore give up to get Miller from the A's

Gurgi

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

If Mason Miller’s value is this high then it makes more sense to put Grayson at closer, let him show out for 6 weeks, then sell him for a Mason Miller haul, then use that haul to buy a rental SP and Closer at the deadline. 

Heck, we could end up with Cease at the deadline and get the Astros to pick up Hader’s contract for the haul we’d get for Grayson as a closer. 

Okay, now you're just flailing around and throwing spaghetti at the wall.  

37 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

No one said pitchers didn't exist...?

He said "far more of a sure thing" which, if you're playing the semantics game...I mean, I dunno why to pick this battle instead of just letting it go...but "far more of a sure thing" means that they're a better bet to succeed.  That's it.

Is it factually true that drafted hitters succeed more than drafted pitchers?  I'm not sure, and it would depend on what the definition of success is.  I think it would be an interesting study and I think we'd all have to agree on the definition of what "success" would be in this case...just simply making an MLB roster?  

But it also wouldn't surprise me if hitters drafted would turn out to be more successful than pitchers, depending on the metrics chosen to measure, of course.

It's not semantics.

To use far as a modifier greatly changes the meaning of the sentence.

If hitters were far more successful you'd have to be a fool to pick a pitcher unless there was a significant gap in talent.  We don't have evidence that has been the case.

It's just SG being hyperbolic and if he isn't reigned in every now and then he starts to take over.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Whats Mayo worth at the trade deadline with 25 bombs in AAA?  He has six years of control also.  I see this guy hitting 40 homers a year by the time he is 25.  

So you are predicting Mayo becomes the best home run hitter in baseball?  Nice.  How do your predictions usually work out?

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's not semantics.

To use far as a modifier greatly changes the meaning of the sentence.

If hitters were far more successful you'd have to be a fool to pick a pitcher unless there was a significant gap in talent.  We don't have evidence that has been the case.

It's just SG being hyperbolic and if he isn't reigned in every now and then he starts to take over.

Yeah, I think you're the only one who cares about this because you're the only one harping on it, which is fine.  

In regard to SG, you can't reign in the guy who laps the field with the amount of posts he makes.  He's already "taken over" outside of the fact that Tony owns the website.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not sure Grayson doesn't have roughly equivalent trade value.

Aside from being hurt that is.

He might, but you've gotta put him at closer for six weeks first so he can show out.  Don't forget that part.

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I sense that he has an inordinate supply of spaghetti.   Don’t clean the walls just yet.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Nope, just being as ridiculous as trading away Basallo/Mayo + EBJ for a guy that’s been in the majors for 17 relief appearances. The biggest game this dude has ever closed was probably in high school or his freshman year at Waynesburg College in PA. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

I kind of hate the Miller speculation. He's just not going anywhere folks. 

You’re right so this is not the thread for you or @Moose Milligan.

Why are you guys putting yourself through this.  Goodbye!  😄

19 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

So six weeks makes you an elite closer?  How’s that UCL doing of his?  Has the league seen him 2-3 times yet?  What’s his big moment pedigree?  It’s easy pitching for a team with Oakland’s expectations versus us in the AL East. That team is homeless and expected to lose 100. You can’t get lower than that. I guess contraction level expectations. 

Will it matter how many times the league sees 103 with a great slider? Did it matter how many times that teams saw Felix Bautista?

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

Nope, just being as ridiculous as trading away Basallo/Mayo + EBJ for a guy that’s been in the majors for a dude that has 17 relief appearances. The biggest game this dude has ever closed was probably in high school or his freshman year at Waynesburg College in PA. 

I don't think I'd trade Basallo/Mayo for Miller, but I also don't think I'd hesitate to put EBJ in a package.  

I understand your amplification on the matter, but I also think you're conveniently ignoring what Miller brings to the table.  Six years of control for a reliever like that, and you match him up with Bautista when he comes back...that's a lock down 8th and 9th inning.  You're essentially playing a 7 inning game at that point if you've got a lead.

It's 17 relief appearances but it's 17 appearances of 102 MPH.  He's striking out 2 batters every inning.  His WHIP is microscopic, he's barely walking anyone.

I get your viewpoint but being over the top about it isn't helping your cause.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Nope, just being as ridiculous as trading away Basallo/Mayo + EBJ for a guy that’s been in the majors for a dude that has 17 relief appearances. The biggest game this dude has ever closed was probably in high school or his freshman year at Waynesburg College in PA. 

How ridiculous!  Only 17 ML relief appearances.   No way I’m trading two guys with no ML appearances between them!   Ridiculous!

Does Waynesburg College have the New York Yankees or Baltimore Orioles on their schedule?  I kind of remember him dominating both teams within days of each other for saves.

Edited by RZNJ

31 minutes ago, George Zuverink said:

Mayo may not be "the Farm" but I think of him as the North Forty and Basallo as the South Forty.

Are those “Forties” percentages? Because if that is the case what does that make Jackson Holliday?