Could Cole Irvin be this year's Steve Stone?

Cuellar35

Obviously we will never see that win total again but who would have thought after his first 2 starts Irvin would find this groove?  I saw him pitch for Norfolk last year at Jacksonville and I never would have seen this.  .071 ERA his last 4 starts.  And to think pitching was supposed to be our undoing.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Cuellar35 said:

Obviously we will never see that win total again but who would have thought after his first 2 starts Irvin would find this groove?  I saw him pitch for Norfolk last year at Jacksonville and I never would have seen this.  .071 ERA his last 4 starts.  And to think pitching was supposed to be our undoing.

Not that the total wins matter as much anyway, it was still an impressive season back in the day. I recall Steve Stone talking about going all out that year, throwing “too many” curveballs, going all out for that season.

Ultimately, if Irvin keeps on rolling, this is a decent comparison about a pitcher exceeding expectations.

Goodness but the Orioles management and scouts sure do seem to find guys on the scrap heap who help them win ballgame.  O'Hearn, Irvin, Hicks last year.  All I know is I hope Elias is here to stay.

• Upvote 4

23 minutes ago, Cuellar35 said:

Goodness but the Orioles management and scouts sure do seem to find guys on the scrap heap who help them win ballgame.  O'Hearn, Irvin, Hicks last year.  All I know is I hope Elias is here to stay.

I think Rubenstein is happy with Elias and will keep him for as long as Elias wants to stay.  I imagine he will compensate Elias at an elite level.  So Elias should stay unless he has some personal reasons for wanting another job.  Maybe a team he grew up as a fan of and getting a chance to run that club.  However I think he is happy enough here.  Let him get kids in school and his wife gets friends and all that make it hard as hell to leave.  Heck even Oakland's Beane used his daughter as the excuse for not taking the dream job of Boston.

If I had to bet if Rubenstein lets him run the club the way he thinks is correct and pays him on an acceptable rate of an elite GM he should stay.  There really is no higher job for his career path.  Only bigger market clubs might be a draw.  

7 hours ago, Gurgi said:

I think Rubenstein is happy with Elias and will keep him for as long as Elias wants to stay.  I imagine he will compensate Elias at an elite level.  So Elias should stay unless he has some personal reasons for wanting another job.  Maybe a team he grew up as a fan of and getting a chance to run that club.  However I think he is happy enough here.  Let him get kids in school and his wife gets friends and all that make it hard as hell to leave.  Heck even Oakland's Beane used his daughter as the excuse for not taking the dream job of Boston.

If I had to bet if Rubenstein lets him run the club the way he thinks is correct and pays him on an acceptable rate of an elite GM he should stay.  There really is no higher job for his career path.  Only bigger market clubs might be a draw.  

Were you aware that he’s from NOVA and grew up as an Orioles fan? 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Cuellar35 said:

O'Hearn and Hicks, yeah, but we traded Darell Hernaiz for Irvin. And it's not like Hernaiz was a bad prospect at the time, nor Irvin a bad pitcher.

I don’t get why people are surprised that Irvin is pitching well. It’s almost as if people just looked at a rough start last year and concluded that the SSS of those starts mattered more than an entire career.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t get why people are surprised that Irvin is pitching well. It’s almost as if people just looked at a rough start last year and concluded that the SSS of those starts mattered more than an entire career.

Pitching well/career norms is one thing.  Pitching like this is another thing to wrestle with.

2 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Pitching well/career norms is one thing.  Pitching like this is another thing to wrestle with.

When you have multiple seasons where you pitch around 180 innings and pitch to a 4ish ERA, I’m guessing you have stretches where you look pretty dominant. Zero surprising about anything he’s doing. It would be surprising if he did it for a full season but not a 4-7 start stretch.

9 hours ago, Cuellar35 said:

Irvin has never been on the “scrap heap”.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

When you have multiple seasons where you pitch around 180 innings and pitch to a 4ish ERA, I’m guessing you have stretches where you look pretty dominant. Zero surprising about anything he’s doing. It would be surprising if he did it for a full season but not a 4-7 start stretch.

Accurate. People had written Irvin off as not good enough despite his track record. He’s not going to be a 1 era pitcher, but if he settled in somewhere around 3.5 or so that wouldn’t be shocking.

I imagine the orioles tweaked a few things when he came over and it took time to start working. Or the work he did reshaping his pitches and getting back in shape made a difference this offseason and hopefully he can be better than he was with the A’s.