Felix Bautista 2024 (Monitoring his injury rehab)

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

So we're going to have fewer relievers available to us during a stretch with no off days? Cool.

There are like 15 posts of people discussing that in the Orioles going to 6-man rotation thread. Might get more traction there.

Edited by Malike

58 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Felix is starting to throw. This is a good sign that maybe he can be close to full strength to start 2025. 

I still predict he is back pitching by September this season not sure if he will be back enough to pitch in majors though if we make a playoff run who knows.  Smoltz was back in 13 months.  Strausburg in 12 months.  Weighnwright was 13 months but that was more start of the season as he was pitching in spring training 12 months after his surgery on Feb 28.  Rich Hill was back in 11 months.  All those were 10+ years ago so have we improved the technology and understanding to make the return even shorter?  I would think 10 months and he is pitching in live action if he has no set backs is possible.  

37 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

I still predict he is back pitching by September this season not sure if he will be back enough to pitch in majors though if we make a playoff run who knows.  Smoltz was back in 13 months.  Strausburg in 12 months.  Weighnwright was 13 months but that was more start of the season as he was pitching in spring training 12 months after his surgery on Feb 28.  Rich Hill was back in 11 months.  All those were 10+ years ago so have we improved the technology and understanding to make the return even shorter?  I would think 10 months and he is pitching in live action if he has no set backs is possible.  

he had a second surgery in February 

7 hours ago, bpilktree said:

I would agree.  Not sure if he can pitch this season or not (probably not), but the way they do that surgery now along with the healing powers of platelet injections? 

A pitcher can be back throwing and almost 100% within 8 months.  I have the exact same injury as Felix along with a bone chip in my right elbow and I was told if I have the surgery I will feel basically brand new after 6-8 months.

Granted I am not trying to throw 95 MPH 8 months later.

6 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

“Felix Bautista’s follow up surgery not Routine “

https://www.baltimoresun.com/2024/02/18/orioles-closer-felix-bautista-doctor-reaction/

Not a subscriber so can’t read it, but this is a copy/paste from the MLB app Orioles “Injuries and Moves” section where they recently provided an update on Felix:

The secondary procedures (both common after Tommy John surgery) cleaned up scar tissue in Bautista’s right elbow and moved the nerve to free it up from compression. His reconstructed right UCL continues to heal well, and his recovery timeline won’t be affected.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...