Baumann DFA

ChipTait

Posted (edited)

Ugh. Bad decision imo

Although I will say that with Elias and Sig out there last night and the Os with a big lead, Baumann getting 2 outs and then allowing 2 base runners, one of which where he had no command in the at bat, had to irritate the powers at be.

Edited by Sports Guy

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Ugh. Bad decision imo

Although I will say that with Elias and Sig out there last night and the Os with a big lead, Baumann getting 2 outs and then allowing 2 base runners, one of which where he had no command in the at bat, had to irritate the powers at be.

At one point during Baumann's appearance, the camera went to Elias and Sig and Elias was laser focused on the field. Previously in the game he had been kind of looking at his phone. So that's interesting to me. 

It's a risky move. Like, does anyone trust Perez more than Baumann right now? I sure don't. 

Posted (edited)

Do not love losing Baumann (if it’s for nothing) but he can’t really be trusted in anything other than low leverage situations, so I’m not gonna be too upset. I respect that Elias didn’t option the better reliever (Akin) because he has an option and instead made the move that kept the strongest BP in tact. 

If they need a mop up guy, they still have Heasley and Tate in Norfolk. And then there’s Strowd waiting in the wings.

Edited by LGOrioles

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

At one point during Baumann's appearance, the camera went to Elias and Sig and Elias was laser focused on the field. Previously in the game he had been kind of looking at his phone. So that's interesting to me. 

It's a risky move. Like, does anyone trust Perez more than Baumann right now? I sure don't. 

Probably better if Baumann and Perez are both replaced with optionable guys.  Would be nice if 1 bullpen spot has a major upgrade by trade.

VERY surprised they didn't use Akin's option. Someone would probably get nicked up the next 10-15 days and they could easily bring Akin back. Now you've basically lost Baumann for nothing. Elias knows how to do a lot of things well, but having a pitching staff that has no one that has waiver options is not smart. What happens if 1, 2, or 3 pitchers get injured over the next week? The cupboard is not exactly full in Norfolk. Here's hoping it doesn't come back to bite.

Baumann is not good at pitching.  Not a loss.  Even when he throws strikes, his FB is straight as an arrow and gets absolute crushed.  He has the deer in headlights look at all times.  I gave up hope on him a long time ago.  

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, luismatos4prez said:

Ultimately, he's a 4.50 ERA right handed bullpen guy. They're a dime a dozen.

It was in the 3's last year and it's high 3's now. He's not someone we need on the team now but I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up equivalent to last year's Jacob Webb for some team.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

I don’t fully trust Perez but he definitely has a better track record the past few years. They both walk too many batters, but Perez has a better history of limiting hard contact than Baumann does. For both guys, you’d like to see more whiffs and K’s with the stuff they have. In an important game/situation, I do think I’d rather have Perez out there though. 

8 minutes ago, luismatos4prez said:

Big Mike threw a no-hitter for Bowie. He got some big outs over the last few years. He'll find a job somewhere.

Ultimately, he's a 4.50 ERA right handed bullpen guy. They're a dime a dozen.

Solid take. I am surprised —  for me, one of our most confounding relievers, and yet — suddenly I am not sure I wanted to see him go.

Ultimately, I agree, very replaceable.

Elias might already have a trade in works. He might have had a few teams agree to preliminary trade parameters for Baumann, then use the 10 days to construct the best small trade through minor negotiations