The 2024 Trade Deadline

Just now, Sanity Check said:

Basallo being up by mid-season feels like a stretch.  You may want that, but I don't think you'll see it.  It's kind of absurd to think they will move him that quickly, when he's not even in Norfolk yet.

He will be (I thought he already would be but he hasn’t lit it up like I thought he would).

But I think he gets 100 or more AAA at bats this year.

The Rays gave Phil Maton a good wage because they thought they would be good but it hasn't worked out, they don't want to give Phil Maton a good wage anymore, and the Mets have acquired him for cash considerations.

For the 2021-2023 Astros, Maton had a 0.49 ERA in 18.1 postseason innings, but he has looked diminished some this season.

• Upvote 1

I mentioned Taillon as an option as a solids number 3 starter if the Cubs go in sell mode.  He looks to be in control tonight and has been decent most the year.  He has 1.5 years left but a bit pricey so might not cost as much if the Cubs want to get some salary relief.  

30 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

I mentioned Taillon as an option as a solids number 3 starter if the Cubs go in sell mode.  He looks to be in control tonight and has been decent most the year.  He has 1.5 years left but a bit pricey so might not cost as much if the Cubs want to get some salary relief.  

2.5 years. He has 2/36 left on his contract left after this season.  My guess is the Cubs would eat some of his remaining 2024 salary to increase the return, but not '25 or '26.

I’m not sure the orioles should make any trades. No one seems to be on the market worth any of their top 4 prospects. The team lacks depth pieces of value in their 5-15 range to be major players in a seller market. They have major needs of 2 SP, one being a #3, and another 2 RP, one being a legit shut down guy. 

So many holes in the pitching staff. I’m just not sure they can all be addressed without decimating the farm system. I’d hate to give up 2-3 top guys and get smoked in the playoffs because they have a weak pitching staff.

• Upvote 1

Trading for Taillon would be interesting but I'm not sure what that changes about potential payroll. He's not exactly expensive, but an extra 18 mil a year tacked on is still significant given we've hardly handed out any money to anyone yet. I just assume we are out on Burnes regardless. JT's a decent #3 on a good year and #4 on a bad. You can reasonably expect him to give you 30 starts a year. That cutter is perfect for LH at OPCY. I'd trust Elias's judgement. He could be kind of under the radar in the trade market if the Cubs do sell. 

Just now, baltimoriole said:

I’m not sure the orioles should make any trades. No one seems to be on the market worth any of their top 4 prospects. The team lacks depth pieces of value in their 5-15 range to be major players in a seller market. They have major needs of 2 SP, one being a #3, and another 2 RP, one being a legit shut down guy. 

So many holes in the pitching staff. I’m just not sure they can all be addressed with decimating the farm system. I’d hate to give up 2-3 top guys and get smoked in the playoffs because they have a weak pitching staff.

They can get a veteran starter without having to decimate their top prospects and this team absolutely needs bullpen help. They can get  an effective reliever who isn't Mason Miller. The pitching staff is being held together by duct tape right now and it needs some reinforcements for the second half.

There isn't enough room for every position player prospect and there are pitching needs it only makes sense to deal from an area of depth.

5 minutes ago, baltimoriole said:

So many holes in the pitching staff. I’m just not sure they can all be addressed without decimating the farm system. I’d hate to give up 2-3 top guys and get smoked in the playoffs because they have a weak pitching staff.

I agree with you the O's need about 4 pitchers.  

But I don't understand people so worried about decimating the farm system.  What good is any team or any farm system strong in offense if the team's pitching is falling apart?  Part of this team's philosophy of having an overly deep system in position players is to trade a chunk of them for pitching.  Are we just supposed to wait until next season when Bradish and Wells might be healthy by the end of the summer?  

Or are you are suggesting they punt the season and only go with free agents in the offseason? Why would any first place team not try to improve on their weaknesses as they cross the mid point of the season, especially a team so thin in pitching?

No one is saying they have to trade their top 3 or 4 prospects.  The system is deep enough they can pursue quality arms without trading the top guys -- unless someone like Skubal is available, in which case it would be worth trading one of them.

16 minutes ago, baltimoriole said:

I definitely don’t think they would need to give up any of their top 4 prospects to get 2 good, not great (Miller/Helsley level) relievers. They may have to if they want a legit TOR guy, but again they shouldn’t have to in order to get a SP who is better than Kremer (like Eflin/Bassitt/Fedde/Scherzer). 

They got smoked last year because their starters were awful and Bryan Baker (who was put on the roster for some unknown reason) walked the bases loaded in game 2. Bradish and GRod were 2 of the best pitchers in the MLB in the second half and were/are legit TOR guys - they just didn’t pitch great which can happen. Kremer never should’ve been pitching in a playoff game as the #3 and got shelled. I’d argue that’s reason why they do need to trade for an upgrade at SP. 

Edited by LGOrioles

1 hour ago, baltimoriole said:

This is my fear. With the extra wild card, and pitching at a premium now more than any deadline I can remember, I don’t see how we don’t overpay. It is completely a sellers market. 

To me this predicament is on Elias. He went into the season basically keeping the bullpen status quo despite not really having any difference makers. In addition, he seemingly was ok with zero depth at SP.

BTW Scherzer looked very shaky tonight.  Either way this deadline shakes out, seems safe to say we will be very active on the pitching market in the off season, both in trades and free agency.

1 hour ago, baltimoriole said:

How many holes do other teams have since we have one of best records in baseball this season?    Amazingly we have one of the best staffs in baseball yet everyone keeps saying how awful it is.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, bpilktree said:

How many holes do other teams have since we have one of best records in baseball this season?    Amazingly we have one of the best staffs in baseball yet everyone keeps saying how awful it is.  

Exactly. If we need 4 pitchers then some contenders need 10.

It’s July and the baseball is jumping. I think we’re a little spoiled. They’re are number 4 and 5 starters for a reason. Aka regular season pitchers. 

Our staff is limping into the break a little. Coming out of the break we’ll only have 2-3 turns through the rotation until we acquire a SP. 

Luckily for us, the Yankees are struggling too.