The 2024 Trade Deadline

11 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Can you make a QO to someone you acquired mid season?

You can’t, but it gives the trading team more leverage because they can say they’d rather keep the player and take the QO pick. The Cubs did that with Contreras at one trade deadline recently. 

I think Kikuchi is good enough that the Jays will credibly say they would give him the QO in negotiations. However he’s also good enough I think acquiring teams will want him enough to pay more than the QO comp pick in value, so it may not end up mattering. Same with Flaherty.

Both Flaherty and Kikuchi will be fairly expensive as far as rentals go, probably similar to what Montgomery was last year. 

Just as a thought exercise, is there a time limit on the tradable draft picks?    I'm not sure if the other other extra one not already given to Milwaukee for Burnes remains tradable 2 day before the draft?      The structure of the Burnes deal was basically Elias agreeing the extra pick was a wash - we're just deferring it one year.

Would we give the 32nd pick + more for Kikuchi?

Marlins - in addition to my guess they will move a starter, extrapolating from the Jazz Chisholm reports, AJ Puk has about the same service as Chisholm.    Puk is kind of medium Mason Miller - he is a big talent now in very good DL Hall-Tanner Scott kind of form.

A few years of AJ Puk, a few years of Trevor Rogers, a rental of Tanner Scott - enough for Mayo or Basallo?

28 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I think the Marlins will move someone.     Max Meyer is nearly done his rehab.    Edward Cabrera and Trevor Rogers throw their last 2 games before the break.

Extrapolating from the Kiermaier report yesterday, other Blue Jays walk year guys look like:

Justin Turner, Yusei Kikuchi, Yimi Garcia, Danny Jansen and Trevor Richards

Richards is kind of their Keegan Akin type guy who is also having a good year.

Where does Kikuchi fall on the Anthony Santander qualifying offer scale?    That might make his return a few ticks nicer than Flaherty last year.

Is Garcia going to be healthy by the deadline?  He would be a great add.

8 minutes ago, casadeozo said:

Really detailed and researched article from Finkenstaedt on the O’s trade deadline outlook. A great alternative to all the sameness from everything else out there 

not sure how realistic that Mason Miller return is, but I heard him discussing this on a podcast and using Miller as a fireman role 7th or 8th inning guy like Andrew Miller was for the Indians in 2016. Sign me up!

also trading Mullins is an interesting thought experiment

https://www.justbaseball.com/mlb/3-trades-that-would-put-the-orioles-over-the-top-to-win-it-all/

That article is great.  Agree with the thought that the Orioles have more prospect capital than anyone and are position to do just about anything they want.

I love the thought of adding Bassit and Miller.  It is a lot to give up but I like roster makeup for 2024 and into 2025 and 2026.

To acquire these two arms, the Orioles traded a total of six prospects and one veteran big leaguer.

Orioles Trade: OF Cedric Mullins, OF Jud Fabian, RHP Juan Nuñez, LHP Cade Povich, OF Enrique Bradfield Jr, OF Dylan Beavers and IF Connor Norby

Orioles Receive: RHP Mason Miller, RHP Chris Bassitt

If the Orioles want to hang onto Mullins for the stretch run this year, they don’t have to deal him, but the point of this exercise was to show how many options the Orioles have at their disposal. They can leverage their MLB surplus on the market, while having more prospect capital than anyone to get the big trades done.

1 minute ago, The Goob said:

That article is great.  Agree with the thought that the Orioles have more prospect capital than anyone and are position to do just about anything they want.

I love the thought of adding Bassit and Miller.  It is a lot to give up but I like roster makeup for 2024 and into 2025 and 2026.

To acquire these two arms, the Orioles traded a total of six prospects and one veteran big leaguer.

Orioles Trade: OF Cedric Mullins, OF Jud Fabian, RHP Juan Nuñez, LHP Cade Povich, OF Enrique Bradfield Jr, OF Dylan Beavers and IF Connor Norby

If the Orioles want to hang onto Mullins for the stretch run this year, they don’t have to deal him, but the point of this exercise was to show how many options the Orioles have at their disposal. They can leverage their MLB surplus on the market, while having more prospect capital than anyone to get the big trades done.

That would be great 

3 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Just as a thought exercise, is there a time limit on the tradable draft picks?    I'm not sure if the other other extra one not already given to Milwaukee for Burnes remains tradable 2 day before the draft?      The structure of the Burnes deal was basically Elias agreeing the extra pick was a wash - we're just deferring it one year.

Marlins - in addition to my guess they will move a starter, extrapolating from the Jazz Chisholm reports, AJ Puk has about the same service as Chisholm.    Puk is kind of medium Mason Miller - he is a big talent now in very good DL Hall-Tanner Scott kind of form.

A few years of AJ Puk, a few years of Trevor Rogers, a rental of Tanner Scott - enough for Mayo or Basallo?

No

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

We cannot trade pick #32.  Only competitive balance picks (like the one we dealt at #34 in the Burnes trade) are tradeable.  I do like Puk.

Edited by Greg Pappas
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CTBear said:

I’m still so annoyed anytime Bradish and Means’ injuries get mentioned as a reason for needing SPs. We’ve known since before Spring Training those dudes weren’t making it a full season. The amount of advanced imaging and tests done on these players, they knew we couldn’t count on them this year and still didn’t bolster the rotation. I think Wells was a surprise and the ownership change may have interfered a bit but I just don’t want Bradish and Means being an excuse for why our rotation is so suddenly depleted. 

But, but, but....they pitched 60 amazing innings this year!

Preach.  It's beyond annoying.  They knew that those guys were not going to contribute this year.  

27 minutes ago, The Goob said:

Elias will never move on from one of the Vets mid season. He doesn't have the stones and will use the track record excuse from a track record of several years ago. They are still clinging onto Urias, I bet Mayo won't come up unless there is an injury. 

32 minutes ago, The Goob said:

That's a deal I can get on board with.  I'm not sure they do Mullins and I'd try to include someone else.  

I'd like to see them trade from MLB Surplus guys like Norby & Stowers as well as high ceiling low floor guys like Fabian, Beavers, & Bradfield. 

I'd be fine trading Povich or McDermott for a SP. 

10 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

That's a deal I can get on board with.  I'm not sure they do Mullins and I'd try to include someone else.  

I'd like to see them trade from MLB Surplus guys like Norby & Stowers as well as high ceiling low floor guys like Fabian, Beavers, & Bradfield. 

agreed I think I like Fedde a bit more, but Bassett clearly has more of a track record. 

15 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

The article did not actually have Mullins as part of the deals to acquire Bassett or Miller.  The author suggested trading Mullin for a pitching prospect to possible use in other deals or as a future asset.  He liked the concept of trading an underperforming player like Mullins to clear space for younger player to get more consistent playing time. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I would be surprised if they dealt Mullins.

But I think they should. Cowser is plenty capable. 

I'm ready for Cowser to be the every day CF.  Despite his lack of hitting (yes, I know the peripherals show he's been "unlucky"), he needs to be out there every day.

I love Ced and what he's done here, but I think he's done.